The power of Babylon (deity domination)

Moriarte

Immortal
Babylon is one of the best civs for domination victories, that is fairly obvious. I have been fiddling with this civilization for the past few days, trying to figure out the best way to play it. My preferred play style is to be engaged in wars from as early as possible without cooldowns. From this perspective i chose to beeline machinery and start from there. Below are some screenshots with description. Anyone interested in doing a Babylon run on deity might find these useful. Or, maybe, there is a better plan?

Anyway, i started exploring the map and found a culture ruin rather early, so that made me open tradition and build 3 scouts in a row. I am not sure if liberty would be a better option here, but by the time i opened tradition i was fairly sure no one is in dangerous proximity. After beelining writing i got my precious scientist, which was, indeed, settled on the wheat tile. William was kind enough to share one worker with me; we made peace around t.90, eventually. (white peace) I never declared on him since.

I did build the shrine, which gave me goddess of festivals, but that was it. I was only able to revive my religion dynamics well after t.100, when other civilizations started joining me in my peace crusade. Granary --> few bowmen and i began on two settlers.

I decided to construct a early National College after hard building two settlers in the capital. With some chopping and one rush bought library the NC was ready on turn 67, which was alright. Turn 67 is when i settled my final city to the north. At the same time i did produce (and rush bought) few bowmen here and there, which roamed around and found 3 barb quests for me. (maritime, militaristic, cultural) Having few wines to sell did simplify the task quite a bit.

The tech path was flowing through masonry, philosophy, mathematics, currency, engineering, guilds, and, finally, machinery.

Spoiler :

As you can see from the turn times, Babylon can get to machinery insanely fast. The start isn't particularly powerful, so, with better dirt, this civ can be made to shine even brighter.

Common sense says i was better off going for education next, but i was tempted to try something unconventional and went for workshops to turn my empire into early powerhouse.

Meanhwile, Pedro stood no chance: he gave up two cities, hanging gardens, temple of artemis and perished.

Spoiler :

Which sealed my diplomacy with the world. On turn 100 Hiawatha joins Attila to declare war on me. Luckily, Pedro died one turn before that and my army had to move just few tiles south to deal with the man. Taking Hiawatha's cities took a while, not because his mohawks were to difficult to deal with, but more along the lines of choke points filled with said mohawks. In any case a couple well placed citadels dealt with Hiawatha's spam.

Spoiler :

While lazily progressing through Hiawatha's lands i did two things: beelined dynamite (oxford + GS) and pre-built roads to Marrakesh (north) and Amsterdam (west) so that two artillery armies can deal with the rest of AIs.

Spoiler :

While the plan was flawless, the execution was rather dull, riddled with mistakes and plain old bad luck. First, the world fair diverted my attention (which i won, and, as a result, got protectionism 30 turns earlier than i would otherwise), then, few city states in sensitive locations joined my opposition so i had to divert parts of my armies, which made the whole thing a long slog. Besides, fed with Babylonian money, Attila declared on both Ethiopians and the Dutch, and succeded capturing most cities from these empires. After he became a runaway it took a while to fight the unit spam.

What looked like a sub t.200 win turned out a t.224 win.

My tech tree ended at combustion and two armies of logistics artilleries and landships suppressed the resistance. Culture path: full tradition --> full commerce --> rat. opener --> 3 in order. (happiness)

Spoiler :

So, this is how it went. If you have any ideas/questions for Babylonian domination strategies or this particular game i posted, go ahead and join in the conversation. :)

Looks like a good job.

On Immortal, I've been staying small and trying to unlock the Industrial Age somewhere near 180 - 200. With a hammer heavy capital build I was cranking Industrial units at 1 or 2 turns each. With Russia, I destroyed Rome this way who was number 1 in score and you can imagine what kind of army Rome had.

You might envision a similar approach for Diety and achieve victory in or around the same turn time as your game above.

I like MC before Education.

I have been doing the exact same thing with Neb for the last few days myself, including workshops before education. I found I still get universities up about the same time because he is so fast on the early techs.
He is great for domination, bowman are so powerful early and he gets arty crazy fast. I think I am building less infrastructure though, not sure if I managed to get 3 deep into ideologies with him yet - I usually go 3 deep into Commerce and run around with a bunch of landsknechts/lancers and pillage everything in sight :)

If you don't mind me asking. At what point do you start bulbing the Gs's? Only to grab important techs or do you just spam them out as you as you get them?

It depends. First two i always settle with babylon. Then i will either save them for some juicy late game tech, or, bulb one for dynamite and save the rest for late game tech. Either way: the idea is to completely eclipse your foes with technology at some point, so you can steam roll for many turns without much resistance.

Oxford for dynamite is good option in domination game. Unless, of course, you are plotting some ultra early bomber rush. ;) With flight rush you'll be #1 for ideologies and that's unlimited happiness.

Amazing! (I've always felt domination is terribly difficult due to not getting trade deals/ RAs/ trade routes and then unhappiness problems)
Abusing the +8 science early game for lightning-speed Xbows is indeed interesting....

btw why did you wipe old man Pedro completely out? (I've been told to always leave them one useless city) :D Any reason other than you just happen to dislike him?

Maybe Korea can pull something like this off too? (although with just library and national college giving bulb effects, I wonder if they can reach machinery as fast)... on the other hand maybe they should just rush to physics and hwacha...

I have been planting the 1st GS, and if I have an open map I just bulb the rest as they pop. If I have to slog a lot of hills and jungle, I plant 2 and save the rest for bulbing something like flight. Oxford on dynamite.

Typically you rush to dynamite. By that time wonders are for the taking, CS alliances are in effect, luxuries are improved, etc, etc. Happiness would seem to be easier to manage. When you do a much earlier Xbow rush do you find happiness a much larger challenge?

Also is this a LP?

I can't speak for Moriarte, but I find happiness to be much less of an issue with early domination, because AI cities get so huge on Deity that even at half-size they're pop 12 or so. That's 16 base unhappiness. If you capture an AI city early it tends to generate like 6 base unhappiness after capture, meaning that a coliseum + improved unique resource is enough. If you keep yourself at -1 to -4 happiness they won't grow. Also, it takes forever to raze mid-to-late game cities.

However, with early city capture you never get a Notre Dame wonder pinata either... And you don't have ideology to save you.

Try to do the same thing with 12 Xbows instead :)

Maybe you get faster stuff on deity than you do on immortal, cause on Immortal I don't get machinery til like turn 110 with an AMAZING start, but this still plays out pretty impressively, I really like this style, especially cause Babylon is my favorite Civ

:goodjob:

A Lets play perhaps? ;)

Seconded. I've been asking (politely) for a LP of an early domination victory on Deity for a while now, but all I can find are lower difficulty rushes.

Maybe you get faster stuff on deity than you do on immortal, cause on Immortal I don't get machinery til like turn 110 with an AMAZING start, but this still plays out pretty impressively, I really like this style, especially cause Babylon is my favorite Civ

On Deity you can get 5 :c5science: from each trade route early on. On Immortal you'd be lucky to get 4 :c5science: .Send 2 out and you have an academy or the NC.

I know that type of LP won't be for everyone, but I would be interested in watching one from you. Have you done any others?

I'd have to actually do it first :lol:

However, I'd probably roll for a good start since I'd want to beat current HoF ranking while doing it. So expect that.

Top Bottom