The Qinngua Valley - The ice is melting

[SCENARIO] The Qinngua Valley - thread 1.3.2

Thanks! Would you happen to know how to update the .zip file with the map? I had a minor update to post. Seems like I can only attach images now

Ulle85, may be you should now change the title of that thread to the title of your map. :)

Upon recommendation, I am also posting a link to the scenario itself here:

And also copying the scenario description here:

Large map, 12(16 see below) players. 85% land, artic terrain (initally at least!)

The basic idea was to show what the civ3 engine can do in terms of the global warming - I did two small changes in the editor:
1. Tundra, snow covered mountains etc will melt with global warming
2. To have rampant global warming from 4000 BC, I made palaces pollute (without ruining the game, see below)

I then created a large (not huge) map with varied terrain, but the terrain is mostly snow/ice covered. This results in the early game city spots being mostly near lakes and rivers to have enough food, but quickly more settable terrain starts to appear as the ice melts. Also some Islands are not accessible before the ice has melted.Starting locations are positioned so the initial pollution does not ruin the game. Resources/lux are randomly distributed So the above is basicly your standard civ3 game in terms of rules/gameplay, except for the global warming.

Here is part of the mini map from 4000BC-1926A and you can appreciate how much the map has changed during the game!

Flavor:
The map is inspired by the Qinngua Valley - the only place with an actual forest in artic Greenland! To make sense of the palace building polluting (to ensure every civ adds to global warming from 4000 BC, I renamed the palace to "Nuclear Relic" and gave it the manhanttan bomb graphics to give the map a slight post-apocalyptic feel to it.

The scenario was playtested on demi-god and the AI is able to handle melting ice, knowing when to start irrigating etc.

Would appreciate any feedback:

Tips:
1. Always plant on your starting location and use the water tiles to avoid polluted tiles.
2. Quickly plant your 2nd city to get access to a more productive city
3. Global warming is for some reason much more likely to affect tundra with forests rather than base tundra - so you want to plant forests all over as soon as you can, to melt the ice and access the more prosporous land. Global warming seems to be more like to occur near your cultural borders, so it will ramp up further as your empire grows.
4. The map has 4 bonus AIs on 1-tile islands to just generate global warming and not really affect the game.
5. Due to the flow of the melting water, you can´t meet ALL the AIs by going around the would by boat - you will have to due some wandring on the vast ice stretches as well!
6. The game engine was never intended to handle tundra melting, so take note when the global warming messages appear - as the tundra graphics does not change until you irrigate the tile - if in doubt regarding a tile, check the yield or have a few workers on auto - the ai will find the tiles and irrigate them.
7. Agricultural and expansionist traits works very well on this map!

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
For those reading all the way to here, I can add the following spoiler if you want to know more about the mechanics:

Spoiler global warming addional mechanics and flavor :

Due to the nature of the palace building in this scenario, the palace building itself can suffer from "meltdowns". While global warming is already occuring from the very beginning at 4000 BC, these random meltdowns across the map/game, will further increase the terrain dynamics!

Top Bottom