The questions-not-worth-their-own-thread question thread IX

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would the weather be like on an Earth-like planet that was two Earth masses and orbiting a binary star (with the stars similar to our sun) in the habitable zone?

What would the weather be like on an Earth-like planet that was two Earth masses and orbiting a binary star (with the stars similar to our sun) in the habitable zone?

Read K-PAX. There's a nice description there, though the stars are different.

Math people!

If I'm selling X through consignment, where the seller takes a % of the sale price as commission, what is the formula I need to ensure I get a specific amount after that commission has been subtracted?

For example, the agency collects 15% of all sales. I want to pocket 1000 dollars in a sale. What would the price need to be to walk away with 1k after the commission?

I'd guess, in your case,

$1k/(1-15%) = 1k/.85 = $1176.47

Is that what you had in mind?

I really wanted to know :rolleyes:

You really would have to clarify your question. Do you mean manipulating DNA then fertilizing an egg with it, and growing a new individual? Do you mean screening for traits? Do you mean going into a developed body and changing the DNA of every cell?

What would happen if they made a Legend of Zelda game with a modern twist (meaning, it takes place in a world with today's technology)?

Why is it that more often than not, I have surreal dreams? (It especially seems to happen when I eat something cheesy within a few hours of going to bed.)

Why is it that more often than not, I have surreal dreams? (It especially seems to happen when I eat something cheesy within a few hours of going to bed.)

Maybe you should watch what kind of cheese you eat.

http://www.dairyreporter.com/Industry-markets/Cheese-unlocks-your-wildest-dreams-says-study

Spoiler :
Cheese unlocks your wildest dreams, says study
By Chris Mercer, 12-Dec-2005

Eating cheese before you go to bed will not give you nightmares but different varieties could help you choose the dreams you do want to have, says a study by the British Cheese Board.

Not one of the 200 volunteers who took part in the British Cheese Board's 'cheese & dreams' study reported having nightmares after eating 20g of cheese 30 minutes before bed.

The industry body said 72 per cent of participants slept very well and 67 per cent remembered their dreams.

The study, believed to be the first of its kind, serves to dispel the old wives' tale that eating cheese before bed means a restless night in-store. It was endorsed by Neil Stanley of the Sleep Research HPRU Medical Research Centre at the University of Surrey.

Dr. Judith Bryans, a nutrition scientist at Britain's Dairy Council, added the science bit: "One of the amino acids in cheese - tryptophan - has been shown to reduce stress and induce sleep."

The research, in an intriguing twist, also found that different cheeses appeared to give participants different kinds of dreams.

Cheddar, officially Britain's most popular cheese with 55 per cent of the market, enhanced dreams about celebrities. One girl said she dreamt of helping to form a human pyramid under the supervision of film star Johnny Depp.

Stilton was the wild card, especially for women. Around 85 per cent of women experienced bizarre dreams after eating Britain's iconic blue cheese, including talking soft toys, dinner party guests being traded for camels and a vegetarian crocodile upset because it could not eat children.

Of the others, Red Leicester is likely to have you dwelling on the past and Lancashire will get you focused on the future.

The boring award goes to crumbly Cheshire, which gave more than half its consumers dreamless nights. Cheshire and Red Leicester, however, gave the best nights' sleep.

So there it is, although with more than 700 varieties of British cheese it seems there is much left to discover.

The British Cheese Board said it hoped to use the results to encourage more cheese eating before bed. Britons currently eat 30g of cheese every day on average, yet continental Europeans eat twice as much.

The Cheese Board says 30g of cheddar contains around 30 per cent of the recommended daily calcium intake for adults.

Does French use the case system for personal pronouns?

Like does I change to me for the direct object or is it all the same word?

Q: Do you think there will ever be a case of a fetus in fetu with a functioning brain (to some extent), and if so would it be considered murder to have it removed?
We would call it a conjoined twin, I suspect.
How close are we to being able to manipulate human genetics?
Very close, but it does depend on what sort of manipulation. Researchers are already treating experimental animals with gene therapies, and I think some trials are underway in humans, but I'm not sure any more. We therefore already have some very basic abilities to add genes. We have, as far as I know, no way of removing unwanted genes, such as retroviruses. Any treatment in the foreseeable future that treats such things will induce cells to make proteins that bind to and neutralise viral proteins, adding to the junk functions of the cell rather than taking away junk.

Is that a sufficient answer?
If somebody sings a song at a fundraiser for charity purposes, can the original copyright holder of that said song sue the crap out him?

Repeat question.
Replace "charity purposes" with "school play".
Yes, he can. No, he won't. Negative publicity, cost and effort of the lawsuit and actually finding out about the thing are all against him.

If a performer is really keen not to have his songs performed, he won't even allow the sheet music to be sold. If you can get it arranged for a band, you'll have to find a complete twerp to sue you.

Is it just me, or on Amazon, people usually only give 5-star or 1-star reviews? Also, is there a way to filter out the kid's reviews? They're kind of dumb and annoying and THERE IS FAR TOO MUCH CAPS LOCK I THINK.

Does French use the case system for personal pronouns?

Like does I change to me for the direct object or is it all the same word?
Yes, (nominative, accusative, dative, reflexive, and emphatic) but it's French so all words really just sound like the same mumbling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom