The Realms Beyond - Succession Game Discussions

Sina said:
You are somewhat scary! :)

Obviously you're talking about Sulla. That whole "two L, three L" thing is definitely intimidating to most sane people.

You're probably also referring to Kylearan. Anybody who plays that much Civ is definitely scary.

You could be referring to Arathorn. A man who has already read all of the Epic One reports is up for poster child "Civ Fanatic." (I'm just getting started with my reading!)

Of course, we all know you're not describing me. :) <--- See? "Mostly harmless" smiley. Simple and quiet. :)

- Sirian

Griselda discussed with me her interest in getting in to an SG. (She doesn't have the time available at the moment to play a full tourney game.) Since I have at most one round left in RB1 and only one other game going, I said that I could start a new one. She liked the idea, so here we go.

RB7 - Winter Wonderland

Difficulty: Prince
Map Script: Ice Age (Random)
Map Size: Standard
Game Speed: Normal
Civ: Mali (Mansa Musa)

Variant Rules: None
Victory: Any
Patch: We WILL move the version forward if a new patch comes out.

We are looking for a short roster, four total players, plus one alternate.

RB7 ROSTER

Sirian
?
Griselda
?

Alternate:
* ?

Signup Rules:
* You have Civ4 installed and working.
* You have beaten Noble or higher (solo or in an SG).

Game will start when all the pieces line up. Standard RB rules will apply.

- Sirian

I'd like to sign up for RB7. Note I have limited playing time until Jan 3rd (and none at all from Dec 28th to Jan 3rd), so might have to skip an early round or two.

I would love to get involved in a RB succession game, provided I don't have to take any turns before Monday :). It would be #4, but I'm sure I can handle it. :crazyeye:

Consider this a signup for RB7

Write me in as the alternate, then. A script I've been wanting to try? Two of the people I really want to be in an SG with? I'm there.

afpunk said:
It would be #4, but I'm sure I can handle it. :crazyeye:

Number four? Sounds kind of feasty to me. This is a short roster, and the turns might move very quickly. (Did you see RB1 in the early going when Sulla and I were each playing a turn a day??)

Maybe we should pencil you in as the alternate instead? It might not be fair to your current SG teammates if you put this game on higher priority, and might not be fair to this team if you don't. ... Or do you have enough time to play two or three different SG rounds on the same day?

- Sirian

I'm currently on break from school, and by the time school's back in, the number should be down to 3 (and by the time the semester actually starts getting difficult, it will be down to 1/2 ;) ). I'm sure I can handle it, but if you want to move me to the alternate spot, I'd understand. :)

Someone explain to me what 'Epic 1' is... every other random message on every thread is about someone writing their 'report' for Epic 1. Is this the GOTM?

Merzbow said:
Someone explain to me what 'Epic 1' is... every other random message on every thread is about someone writing their 'report' for Epic 1. Is this the GOTM?

NM I went to the RB home page and found it... interesting. Kind of like a non-Civfanatics GOTM.

Merzbow said:
Kind of like a non-Civfanatics GOTM.

That's one way to look at it, I suppose. We're off in our own corner of cyberspace, though, and the Epics and the GOTM don't really have much overlap. The traditions and emphases of the two cultures are distinct.

Both communities contributed significantly to the development of Civ4, so we're not exactly in competition. Each fills its own niche, in my view.

Since we've got enough players for RB7, I'm going to go ahead and launch it. BBIAB. :)

- Sirian

I had to skip epic 1 on account pre 1.52 patch, games at 1700 + would perma crash on me.

I'm looking foward to embarrasing myself on epic 2.

and damn missed an offical RB sg on account I didn;t make this thread my homepage!!!

oh well I'll pick one up in the year 2007 :lol:

Cheers!
-Liq

Bah, missed another one. Damn Christmas :p

In the tradition of the Realms Beyond, I'm going to try something that certainly qualifies as different. Now taking sign ups for:

RB8 - Multiplayer Madness

Welcome to the first multiplayer SG for Civilization 4! (I'm not sure if this was ever done for C3C). This is an attmept to see how well the multi-player aspects of Civ4 can fit in with the SG format. This game will start things off as simple as possible, primarily to see if this type of game will work. If it does, then I hope more games like this will show up!

The basic idea is the same as any other SG game - there will be a roster of 3-4 who will take turns playing the game in an attempt to defeat AI opponents. The twist is this - instead of single players at each point in the roster, there will be teams of two! The map will be a 2v2v2, with the player teams up against 2 teams of 2 AI opponents.

I have a couple of hopes for this game. First, I hope that some people who haven't tried out co-operative multiplayer will take the plunge and give it a shot. RB is a friendly environment and it would be great to have one person on each team that has played some MP before and one that is totally new to the experience. New players are assured that they will be playing with helpful, mature players who will make the experience an enjoyable one. The second is to meet other players in the online environment and hopefully make some new friends, with more MP opportunities resulting!

Difficulty: Prince
Map Script: Continents
Map Size: Standard
Game Speed: Normal
Civ(s): Random
Teams: 2 v 2 v 2

Variant Rules: See below
Victory: Any
Patch: 1.52

Roster
Team 1 - Snaproll* / Drasca
Team 2 - Morred* / thunderbunny
Team 3 - open* / open
Team 4 - open* / open (optional team depending on interest)

Alternate 1 - open
Alternate 2 - open
Alternate 3 - open

* denotes reporting player (see below)

Special Rules

Got it / Reporting time limits - The standard 24/48 for reporting and posting will be modified somewhat. There will still be a 24 hour limit for announcing a "got it", but then you will have a full 96 hours to play. This is to accomodate the increased logistical challenge of finding a time when both players are available. Of course, the faster the better. You still just play ten turns, so the time commitment isn't extreme once the game is set up.

Reporting - Each turn, only one team member is responsible for reporting (denoted by the *). Players will take turns, so you actually only need to report half the time! The reporting player is responsible for taking screenshots and notes and then posting the turns to the forum thread. Of course, the other player is welcome to add thoughts or analysis at will. Take special care in capturing the thought processes and conversations that you have with your teammate during the game - my expectation is that these will be of particular interest of those reading your report.

Alternates - If, at any point, one of the two team members needs to take a skip, instead of skipping the whole team an alternate will step in. Because of this, alternates will almost certainly play, and might end up playing a lot! This should also keep the game moving, as one skip won't actually delay a turn as long as an alternate is ready to step in.

Game Type - Because this is the first time this has been tried, I'm keeping things simple. Continents map, standard size, normal speed, random civs, prince difficulty, teams of 2. Multiplayer options will be simultaneous turns, no turn timer. Teams of two is the obvious starting point because any more and the logistics become increasingly complicated very quickly. I imagine that teams of 3 would be close to the limit for this type of game.

Multiplayer Issues - The game must be saved by the reporting player at the end of each play session and uploaded so the next team can have access. Games can either be played via IP connection or in the gamespy lobby. It would be very nice if teammates had a compatible instant messenger connection to facilitate getting together, although a pre-set time to meet could work too. I would strongly suggest using forum PM's or instant messenger programs to coordinate with your teammate, to keep the clutter in the actual forum thread to a minimum.

Drasca, Morred, and thunderbunny all signed up in pre-game discussion, but there are more spots open. Please, when signing up, include any instant messenger information in your post if it is not already in your profile. If you don't want to include it just make sure your teammate gets the info. Remember, alternates will likely get to play!

sounds good Snaproll, count me in:)

Atlas, Uniqueuponhim, welcome aboard! Thanks for signing up.

I'll have to admit, people aren't as interested as I thought they'd be, but we've got enough for three teams so Drasca and I will play tonight and I'll post the game after we're done. For better or worse, we're going to give it a shot!

I know I saw it before,m but be darned if i can find it now!!!! what is teh prereq for runninghosting a RB series game? just that you have been on a team that completed a game? that you won one?.

Thanks in advance fro the replies, I am sure this is actually obvious and I am just missing it....

Ragnoff said:
I know I saw it before,m but be darned if i can find it now!!!! what is teh prereq for runninghosting a RB series game? just that you have been on a team that completed a game? that you won one?.

Thanks in advance fro the replies, I am sure this is actually obvious and I am just missing it....

Check the first post of this thread.

Top Bottom