The SCENARIO LEAGUE information thread

@Blake00

I just tried to log in to the scenario league wiki, and I couldn't (password wouldn't work, and recovery email didn't arrive).

Almost from the time I started working with the scenario league wiki, I've been under the impression that the information should be moved to one of those free wiki sites. There would then be up to date features, and security measures wouldn't be for an existing admin to add a new person. It isn't really reasonable for the Civfanatics owners to give adequate attention to the scenario league wiki given the current size of its user base.

I agree with @Prof. Garfield .

@Blake00
If the intention is to have a museum of CIV2 material, then it's time to update your viewpoint and build a new CIV2 SL wiki.
You seem to want it, so you have volunteered for the job. I'm sure we can all help by providing material from our own archives.

Either that, or just showcase the historical scenarios here on CFC. We have unlimited space.

No-one here wants to deal with an arcane, broken old wiki from a bygone age, that may or may not be an online security risk.
It makes sense to use the newer, freely available online wiki systems that are out there.

I did finally get the password recovery email, so I can login again to the Scenario League Wiki. I'm still not sure how to create a new user, though.

Viewpoint doesn't need updating as I was already all for a new wiki lol, just an unfortunate misunderstanding. I also agree that using a free wiki site for the pages and CFC file hosting for the file downloads is the best way to go.

As mentioned in the other thread I was only pursuing access to the old site since making a whole new site takes a lot of time and may never happen so fixing issues in the old seemed like something okay to do in the meantime, plus IF content is copied from one wiki to another then locating missing files and fixing them saves us future work. I got your email @Prof. Garfield , thanks for the access! I'll see if I can fix those links!

Anyway back to the new site while I greatly appreciate the offer to helm the project, unfortunately I lack the time to go make a new wiki site for the SLeague. However IF I can make big progress and get a whole bunch of my mods and videos released over the next few months that might free up more time and change things! I've spent years of my life on these other projects so I really really really want to see them through before singing up to anything new. As fellow creators and preservers I'm sure you can all understand that passion to see those things to the end. :)

For now though all I can offer is a bit of time to work with others in setting something like that up, then maybe in the future I can do more! :) In fact if what ends up being created is really good then maybe we could even add a Civ 3 section and lure in a whole extra community of retro modders contributing to the site. Like in these forums I've spent the last 2 years working heaps with Civ3 modders and preservers there. They've all got grey hairs on their heads like we all probably do and like to talk about 'the good old days' there haha! There's huge passion there for trying to ensure all the history isn't lost (in some ways they've been hit worse than the Civ2 community as Webarchive doesn't backup large files so all the downloads on dead civ3 sites don't work and they've lost endless gigs of stuff), @Civinator can back me up on that. However that's just a pipe dream idea so please don't anyone take that too seriously haha.

Garfield funnily enough I had the exact same thought about the existing Civ wiki site 2 days ago but was too distracted with the other thread and forgot to post here. I've used their site a number of times and was disappointed to see their lack of Civ mod/scenario coverage. I have no idea who runs that site and if they have a presence here but maybe the'd be interested in a collaboration. However as you say it's probably better just to setup something new that the SLeague members would have full control over!

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Since this seems like the the thread where wiki work has been discussed in the past I thought I'd give the good news that I've successfully located all the missing files I posted about in this thread, uploaded them to the wiki and repaired their broken links! If anyone else posts about broken links on the wiki just tag me and I'll try to help them. :)

In the case of @CurtSibling 's Kaiser & Soviet Steel scenario wiki pages I noticed after fixing their broken downloads that they didn't have that nice bonus section on the bottom that a lot of other MGE scenarios on the wiki have where it has a little ToT icon and a link to a ToT conversion by Gapetit or Catfish or someone else at CFC (essentially advertising that there's a superior ToT version out there). So I looked at how @McMonkey (or whoever it was) did these little extra sections, brought the code across to the bottom of both the Kaiser & Soviet Steel pages, changed the links to Gapetit's respective conversions of them at CFC, and it worked! Now that I know how to do that there's probably a bunch of other MGE or older scenarios on the wiki that need links to their upgraded ToT versions too as you guys have obviously been busy with lots of super cool conversions over the years! So if anyone has old scenarios on the wiki they want this bonus ToT link section added to, let me know, otherwise I'll probably find & fix them myself at some point when I start digging more into converted ToT scenarios for my ToT tribute video.
upload_2021-5-31_20-29-29.png

I notice a lot of resource links have been posted in this thread too so the other piece of good news I may as well post here for SL members is that after weeks of work I have finally completed my massive Civilization 2 website archives search and created huge list of over 400 sites that either have or had scenarios, maps, graphics, strategies and general info on Civ2. I've downloaded quite a few long lost scenarios from them and will be adding them to the CFC downloads area over the weeks to come (& eventually other places too) however there's plenty more on these sites I didn't get to so if you're looking to expand your personal scenario collections or simply want to browse and reminisce over that great late 90s era (where every man and & his dog had a cool looking Civ2 fan page on geocities lol) then go check it out! I've posted a copy of it across all the big Civ sites so hopefully it'll be a useful resource to the Civ2 community for years to come!
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/civ-fanatics-civ2-information-thread.355722/#post-16071407

And finally I was hoping it might be okay with SL members/admins if I resurrect your old Official "Looking for scenarios" thread here in the SL? As now that I've had my hands in so many old websites and collections that I can probably help people find stuff. When people post around the forums trying to find stuff you can direct them to this thread (which will also lure more people into the SL), tag me and I'll try to help them! There's also a few missing scenarios I wouldn't mind eventually listing in there too after I've tried all other search avenues.
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/the-official-looking-for-scenario-thread.409415/

Speaking of which I'm about to dip into the last great frontier of 'scenarios attached to ancient forum posts' to try and find some more rare stuff and once that's done I really will have exhausted all possible options in my scenario hunt work. The advanced search options here at CFC are pretty good but the one at Poly is friggin awful and the ones on the German & Russian forums are going to be tough too, so it's going to be an 'interesting' final treasure hunt lol. Once the treasure hunt is over I can finally get everything uploaded and finish my Civ2 MGE video, not to mention release all my own scenarios which have been sitting on ice through all this lol, and then move on to ToT & beyond! :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom