• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

The Super Bowl

I always assume that 4 quarters of 15-minutes each will take about 3 hours. If you're right and Superbowl 50 took 4 hours, then the extra hour can be put down to extra commercials.

The half-time also took forever. I'm not sure how long it usually takes but I imagine they had to spend extra time forklifting Beyonce off the pitch, etc.

When the game was getting started my guess was that it was "Birmingham vs North Carolina". My friends' verdict was that I was "25% right". Turns out Birmingham doesn't even have a team. Or maybe they do?

Obviously you haven't paid enough attention to the Simpsons, especially the episode with Hank Scorpio.

"This might not be the Dallas Cowboys, but it's a start... Drop me a line, Hank Scorpio."
"Awh, the Denver Broncos."
"I think owning the Denver Broncos is a great."
"You just don't understand football, Marge."

I thought the game was pretty boring. I feel bad for Carolina's defense, they did a pretty good job (both of Denver's touchdowns were direct results of failures by Carolina's offense), but the offense just couldn't get anything together and Newton in particular seemed like he just crumbled under the pressure. Not too surprising considering how young and inexperienced he still is but it was painful to watch. Carolina also absolutely murdered themselves with penalties. Pretty amateur league performance all around.

Newton actually I thought did OK. The O-line was terrible and my God his receivers dropped so many good passes. That drop by Ginn because Cam threw the ball "too fast" and that other one by the other receiver inside the opponent's 5 where the ball just bounced off his hand and the catch that was ruled not a catch, those were devastating.

Newton actually I thought did OK. The O-line was terrible and my God his receivers dropped so many good passes. That drop by Ginn because Cam threw the ball "too fast" and that other one by the other receiver inside the opponent's 5 where the ball just bounced off his hand and the catch that was ruled not a catch, those were devastating.

No more devastating than the numerous open receivers that watched the ball sail over their heads, particularly early in the game. Nerves=adrenaline=high throws. Not an unfamiliar story for a quarterback in their first super bowl.

Add to that the the way that Carolina let a few inevitable bad calls get under their skins and you turn the game into a mess that Denver could easily grind out to a win.

The Denver defense had a lot of help. Newton had the obvious jitters, missing high on way too many open receivers. His receivers did their share as well, dropping a fair number of catchable balls. That contributed a lot to the snowball rolling down hill that swept them away. Not saying that Denver's defense was anything less than great, but when you play a great defense you have to grab every one of those rare opportunities and push back hard...and the Panthers didn't grab many of them.

True, the jitters showed on Newtons part early. Fair to say the Panthers offense didn't rise to the occasion and without two teams playing exceptional ball on both sides it wasn't the greatest show on earth. But I did enjoy the show the Broncos defense put on.

credit Denver's secondary for some of that pressure on the QB, I'd have to re-watch the game with a more discerning eye but I got the impression Manning had less time to throw. Or maybe its just because he was basically a statue back there while Cam's mobility provided more time.

Top Bottom