The Thirty Years War

Ajidica

High Quality Person
The Thirty Years War

The mod is relatively basic right now, all that I did was rename the civs and make a scenario. I'm not happy with the map as it cuts off Russia, Denmark, and Sweden, so I will be redoing it once I start redoing the units and the tech tree.

Notes:
1. England is represented through a city state. This is due to their relatively small part in the Thirty Years War and the English Civil War.
2. You will have a hard time researching. I didn't want to give out too many free techs, so this has the end result of the player being caught 'between eras'. You have Musketmen, but are still far from Lancers or Cannons. If you start with a cannon, GUARD IT CAREFULLY!

Bugs:
1. I did make DOM screens and MapPics, but for some reason they don't show up. The XML file is included, but it is currently disabled with the SQL.
2. For some bizzare reason, when I set Austria and Bavaria to be at war with Bohemia, the scenario loads up and has them at war with Savoy! I have not a clue why this is happening. So if you are playing as Austria, be sure to invade Bohemia. Your starting army is large enough to take Prague.

Future Work:
1. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me with making new flag graphics. My skill with GIMP begins and ends with cropping and resizing.
2. A mapmaker would be nice. Most of the maps I find either lack France and Scandanavia, or are too big and don't give me enough room for Germany. Ideally I would like a map that cuts off at the French/Spanish border, has only a smidgeon of North Africa, an enlarged Germany, Scandanavia, and a shrunk Russia so I can include Russia and the Crimean Khanate.

Screenshots:
I will add better ones when the time permits, but here is an early shot of the scenario:

It is now up on ModHub.

Cannot find download. You refer to "modhub" but could not find that either. A link would be nice.

CFC Download Database isn't cooperating now, so I'll upload the mod here later.

Found it! Download and installed it! Could not figure out how to start it. Kept getting the same old choices. Any suggestions to help the feeble minded player?

Well, first you have to make sure it is enabled and when you select the map under set up game you have to make sure you click the 'load scenario' button.
However, you may be having the same problem Le Sage is having where my name changes don't show up. I hope to have this rectified in the next version where I switch back to using new civs rather then renames.

Got it. Played for a short while. The names are very confusing since I was apparently the Empire at Vienna but was called American Empire. Even worse than that was that Budapest (Bohemian Rebels?) were the same colors as the Imperials. Their units were all mixed up with mine. An Imperial attack on Bohemia is probably best place to start but not with units comigled. Had to run a cursor over a unit to see if a unit was mine or theirs. It does look good. Please let everyone know when you get the name changes fixed.

BTW, is there a way to choose which side you play? If so, I did not see it.

Got it. Played for a short while. The names are very confusing since I was apparently the Empire at Vienna but was called American Empire.
So your units were described as 'American Empire' in game?
Frill. I honestly don't know why the text isn't working. I followed the exact same method as Le Sage and it works perfectly on my end.
Even worse than that was that Budapest (Bohemian Rebels?) were the same colors as the Imperials.
Well, Budapest should be an Austrian city and Bohemia gets Prague. If Prague is named Budapest, there is a serious problem with the map.
Their units were all mixed up with mine. An Imperial attack on Bohemia is probably best place to start but not with units comigled. Had to run a cursor over a unit to see if a unit was mine or theirs. It does look good. Please let everyone know when you get the name changes fixed.
The color is similar, I give you that but I didn't have any trouble differentiating it.

BTW, is there a way to choose which side you play? If so, I did not see it.
As in Imperial/Protestant? Currently no. If I had someway to adjust initial diple standings I would do it. Since there is no religion or even favored civivs bonus, I don't know how to set the sides up without permenant war which is a) possibly broken and b)increadibly unrealistic. I think only Austria/Bavaria were at war for the whole time. The Electorate of the Palatinate may have been at war the whole time, but their involvement declined after the Bavarians did a number on them.

Sorry, I said Budapest but meant Prague. The map appears fine to me. But the colors were real close. Will try again. What I could use is a cheat sheet of the "game names" versus the historical names. Americans appear to be Imperials. Prague is Bohemia. Not sure who Elizabeth and Sulieman are. Will keep trying.

Found out where I got confused. Map says Prague but when you click on it, it is the Free City of Budapest. There is also a Budapest on the map.
See if this is right:
Americans---Imperials
Elizabeth--- Saxony
Alexander-Hesse-Cassel?
Bismark--Metz Lorraine?
Gandhi- Brandenburg
Rameses- Sweden?
Persia- Poland
Edinburgh- Tunis
Ragusa-- Savoy
Budapest--Prague/Bohemia

Not sure which are options to play. Did find out I can choose in Advanced setup.
I very much like the looks of this scenario.

Pretty close. Alexander is Brunswick though.

I didn't realize all of the text was bombing though.
Once again, I honestly don't know why that is happening as everything is fine on my end. I should have that resolved next version where I replace the civs instead of just renaming them.

According to the Database.log these are the three files having problems. XML/Civilizations/Renamed_Civs.xml, XML/Leaders/LeaderFrederickV.xml and XML/Civilizations/30YW_MinorCivilizations.xml. you might want to check them out.

But I really can't understand the fact that it works on your end and not ours... It's really weird. You don't have an older version of the mod installed (and possibly even running at the same time)? In that case, files could possibly overlap each other, I think. In that case it's just a simple matter of removing all older versions from your Mygames/Civ5/MODS folder.

I took a quick look. The files named ARE on my computer under the 30YW MOD. Anything I can try to do that might help let me know.

Actualy, I think you can rename the civs in World Builder. You can give that a go.

If anyone is reading this, I would really appreciate anyone helping with the civ icons. My skill in photoshop and GIMP is limited to photo resizing and cropping (and flailing around aimlessly trying to get something to work). Seeing a bizzare american shield as the icon for Austria really takes you out of the moment.

Worldbuilder is included in the Civ5 SDK. You have to download that first. It is closer of the C3 map editor than the C4 WorldBuilder.

EDIT:
I just want to check that I am building the mod in the right way.
When in ModBuddy I go to the 'Build' tab along the top where I can chose from the following option:
Build Solution
Rebuild Solution
Clean Solution
Build Civ5Mod3
Rebuild Civ5Mod3
Clean Civ5Mod3

I chose the 'Build Solution' option, right?

Okay, I am having the exact same bloody problem I had the last time when I try to add new civs rather then simply renaming them.
I followed Kaels tutorial, but made sure I was refrencing exist icons for the flag and small leader icon.
However, when I load up the mod, none of the civs showed up. Now, unlike last time where I lumped all the civs into one big group, I gave them each their own xml file. This means that there has to be an error in each and every file, something I find unlikely.
I also checked leaders, they were spelt right. I checked the logs, they came out clean.

Here is an example of one of my files, the Austria one. Please take a look at it to tell me what I am doing wrong. No cityname list is included because I don't think it is needed for the civs to load.
Additionaly, for some reason the art assets I included don't work. However, this should not be enough to cause the civs not to load. It should just cause an error saying '[filename].dds is not present'.
What am I doing wrong? If I can't get even basic 'add a civ' modding to work, what hope do I have for any real modding?

BTW, in the map, there is a railroad from Vienna to Breslau. Not terribly period although useful <g>

Top Bottom