The Thirty Years War

I am continuing to play with a list of corrected names beside me. On the historical side, there should be some type of relationship between Maximilian of Bavaria and Ferdinand of Austria also between Spain and Austria. If I read the Dipolamcy sccreen right, A7ustria has defensive pacts with several Protestant states. Historically there should be two groups of defense pacts, one Catholic and one Protestant.

As of two Prague has fallen and looking for next victim. Should probably be the Palatinate but that requires an open border agreement with Bavaria who should be (but is not) an ally.

BTW, in the map, there is a railroad from Vienna to Breslau. Not terribly period although useful <g>
That wasn't intended to be there and will likely be removed next version.
For the time being, just pretend it represents 'Imperial Roads'.

I am continuing to play with a list of corrected names beside me. On the historical side, there should be some type of relationship between Maximilian of Bavaria and Ferdinand of Austria also between Spain and Austria.
I thought I included a DP between Bavaria and Austria, but I may have forgotten about it.
As for Spain/Austria, I completely forgot about that. Thanks.
If I read the Dipolamcy sccreen right, A7ustria has defensive pacts with several Protestant states. Historically there should be two groups of defense pacts, one Catholic and one Protestant.
Yeah, but unfortunately Civ5 has nothing to emulate religions for Civ alignment.
Defensive pacts may be nice for establishing alliances, but aren't they invalidated when a member civ declares war?
As of two Prague has fallen and looking for next victim. Should probably be the Palatinate but that requires an open border agreement with Bavaria who should be (but is not) an ally.
Once again, I could have sworn I gave Austria-Bavaria open borders.

I'm glad you are enjoying it.

Still playing with no major problems. Strassburg and Metz have fallen and again looking for new victim. Historically, Sweden or Denmark should be coming in but no sign of any aggressive opposition. Quite surprised that everyone let me get away overrunning Palatinate. Is it that I am playing at settler level? Found another short stretch of railroad but nothing serious. Minor(?) nitpick: always annoys me to have units I cannot build. In the startup I have cannon and lancers (?) but cannot build. Also musket units which cannot build tho can build minutemen which are same strength. Helps to play with a good map of Germany in 1618 at your side. The colors for the various cities and states are not good. Too uch black on the mini-map which makes strategic planning trickier. I have been using a map of Germany in 1618 and an account of the 30YW as an aide. Would help a LOT if the colors on the mini-map made the various states more distinct. Not sure I think any of the German states, e.g. Bohemia, should be CiV free cities. Would be OK I think for non-Germans, make that non-belligerents. Historically Austria got subsidies from Spain and the Protestant states got some aide from Netherlands and Denmark. Is that modeled in the game at all?

FWIW: I got notified by the game that everyone else thinks I am an #@$%& so I must be doing something right.

Hey, Ajidica!

Here's the code to easily change the names of the different nations in the mod. You can include this as a separate .xml file. It may provide a good, quick solution for the names problem. I am doing this for a map of Tamriel in the Elder Scrolls right now, so just replace the Elder Scrolls names with your own Thirty Years' War names. I still don't have a clue as to what is wrong with the Thirty Years' War and why the entire thing isn't updating on my screen as it is on yours, but this will solve it until we get further...
Spoiler :

PHP:
<GameData>
	<Civilizations>
		<Update>
			<Set Description="Cyrodiil" ShortDescription="Cyrodiil" Adjective="Cyrodiil"/>
			<Where Type="CIVILIZATION_ROME"/>
		</Update>
		<Update>
			<Set Description="Morrowind" ShortDescription="Morrowind" Adjective="Morrowind"/>
			<Where Type="CIVILIZATION_JAPAN"/>
		</Update>
	</Civilizations>
</GameData>

Top Bottom