THE THREAD ABOUT BREAD(s)

FAVORITE BREAD Y/N!?

• oatmeal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • rye (or other dark breads like pumpernickel)

• pita

• rice bread, that's a thing too

• crackers

• quickbreads (i.e. pancakes, waffles)

• cake

• sweetbreads (which are actually meat, you joker)

• I'll take Downtown's Faves for 800, Alex

• Phrossack's fluffy 'fro

• Total voters
Do you have your loved ones remove the crusts from your bread?

I let them eat it, if possible, certainly. Otherwise I just eat it first before the rest of the bread to get it out of the way.

When I was little I liked taking the soft part of bread and smushing it into a giant bread ball. Mmmm.

Voted for sourdough, because it covers a range of breads like pumpernickel and (presumably) soda bread, all of which are incrediballs.

However, it should be noted that different kinds of breads are used for different kinds of foods! I would never have a PB&J on white sourdough, it would ruin the taste combo at work. And I would only use a flatbread for Levantine, Arab, or SW Asian foods.

I've had PB&J on a few different types of bread, and my favorite tends to be either whole wheat or potato. Oatmeal works, but it's a bit bland. Wonderrific white sponges is probably the most hated option.

People with celiac disease.

aka freedom and mom-haters.

I let them eat it, if possible, certainly. Otherwise I just eat it first before the rest of the bread to get it out of the way.

When I was little I liked taking the soft part of bread and smushing it into a giant bread ball. Mmmm.

I like the crust because it has texture and a richer flavor, especially on bakery breads.

Bread balls are for pidgeons and deer!

I have gluten sensitivity (had it before it got cool :smug: ) so I don't mess with bread :(. There are very few decent gluten free breads, Udi's is ok if you toast it & slather it with butter &/or cheese.

Danish rye looks like this:

Its great. I also like whole grain wheat. (Don't just ad a bit of bran. It should be aal of it. Including the germ.

But I woted baguette, just because it's the un-american option. Besideds, it has a wonderful crispy crust. The crust is the best part of bread. Uhmmm. :)

Don't forget the scandinavian knäckebröd. Nice and crispy, like one big crust.

Naan is the best bread, no contest.

I must agree. In Afghanistan, there were a couple of local bakers on the ANA side of the base and we would go over to them and buy naan bread from them. Five dollars would buy us enough to last our team of six for about a week and it was the most delicious bread I have ever eaten. They would make it fresh in a wood oven too so it had this smokey flavor to it that made an already amazing type of bread even more amazing.

yeah naan is also a winner

random other option:

it has been years but I used to have at home what is described as south african rusks. Rusks are just twice-baked bread and every country has junk about it (see wiki), but I'm referring to the super dry super hard kind. And not "teething" kinds.

According to wiki it is just "beskuit", but it is different than just being hard biscuits that our england-derived chaps dip in their tea.

But yea, hard breads to dip in tea or milk for breakfasts. The "heat for 12 hours in the oven to get super dry and hard" kind. And really grainy and dark, not the more sweet biscuity kind that a Brit happily dunks into their teas.

I don't really know any 'mericans that do that. 'Merica is all about them pancakes. Which I already identified as being great.

Voted for sourdough, because it covers a range of breads like pumpernickel and (presumably) soda bread, .

But why soda bread? I'm really not sure that's classifiable as sourdough, however you look at it. The raising agent in soda bread is, unsurprisingly, sodium bicarbonate. And absolutely no proving of the dough is required and can actually be a really bad idea. Whereas with a sourdough, in principle, the raising agent is the natural yeast present in the air we breathe every day, and the proving process can take 2 or 3 days.

As for pumpernickel, I don't have a clue about. It could literally be Hitler, for all I know.

CHALLAH

Challah is great for like 45 seconds. Then it just gets to be too much.

^That isn't bread. It is a sort of cake.

A few times I've been around that track so it's not just going to happen like that, because that ain't no challah cake, boy, ain't no challah cake, boy.

I voted for corn bread, but could have checked two or three more if I had had the option. Hot corn bread with butter is heavenly.

I like dark bread the most, the healthy ones. Feel more 'full' and they're simply delicious. Get them still warm, almost right from the oven, and I could eat a whole bread.

After a recent takeaway, I smothered the leftover naan's with butter, splashed on a little water, and microwaved for 30s.

Om nom nom nom nom nom.

There's pretty much no difference between the two terms.

Top Bottom