Random Raves 54: You will succeed. It is inevitable.

Step 1: Sleep late. ✔️
Step 2: Play a couple rounds of Civ at 9:00am. ✔️
Being up and functional by 9 a.m. is sleeping late? LATE?! This is a travesty.

I am rarely conscious at 9 am, and if I am, I'm getting ready to go to bed. Or it's one of those days with something unusual happening like a water shutoff and I try to time my sleeping so I'm not awake for those.

Being up and functional by 9 a.m. is sleeping late? LATE?! This is a travesty.
Well, I don't count playing Civ as 'up and functional' but I'm usually out the door by 7:00, so, yeah.

If you're a casual MMA fan, we're coming up on a string of outstanding events. Of course they don't make it easy for casual fans to see these events, as they're all on pay-per-view (in the USA - in some other countries, you might actually have easier access than I do).

This weekend is UFC 298, which features a number of young fighters on the cusp of greatness. One thing casual fans sometimes struggle with is that by the time they're aware of a great athlete, that athlete is past their prime and already on the way down, and you've missed their heyday. If you're looking to get on board with some younger fighters while they're still in - or even just entering - their prime, this is a good card for that.
Spoiler :

Ilia Topuria, a Georgian who's lived most of his life in Spain, is challenging the Featherweight champion, Alexander Volkanosvki of New Zealand, who is himself arguably one of the best to ever compete in the sport, but who is getting a little long in the tooth. People in the MMA media are saying that Topuria could be "the Spanish Connor McGregor" if he wins this weekend. I guess I'm assuming casual fans know who Connor McGregor is. I don't know if he'll ever fight in the UFC again, but he's in the Roadhouse remake, with Jake Gyllenhaal. That's not an endorsement, just an observation. Could be a train-wreck.
Merab Dwalishwili, another Georgian who lives in New York now, is fighting Henry Cejudo, one of the most accomplished American combat athletes of all time, who may be fighting the last fight of his illustrious career (Olympic Gold Medalist in wrestling and a former 2-weight-class champion in the UFC - if he loses this match, he'll probably retire).
Ian Garry, from Ireland, is 13-0 at age 26, which is very young in this sport.
Rinya Nakamura, from Japan, is a sensational wrestler who's 8-0 in MMA. He turns 29 next month, not quite as young as Garry, but if he spits fire this weekend, he could have a few years of knocking heads.
Then the next weekend is "Bellator Champions vs. PFL Champions", which is the result of a recent purchase/merger of two organizations. In the first event since the merger, they're pitting top fighters from each organization against each other in a kind of "super card" on February 24th. Then the UFC is broadcasting two more outstanding cards, on March 9 and April 13. Again, and unfortunately, they don't make it easy. All of these events are pay-per-view in the US, and they're too expensive. And if you want to buy a ticket to see the event in-person, you might need to get a second job to pay for it. Sometimes I wonder if they even want this sport to be popular. But anyway, if you like to watch it sometimes, or if you never have but you're curious, there are four nice events coming up in the next 3 months, starting this weekend.

Reappearing for just a moment to tell y'all I passed my restricted driver's license test today.

It's a lot of words to say what it really does mean for me: freedom!

Drive safely.

For now don't drive with more than one friend in the car. One will be distracting enough.

For now don't drive with more than one friend in the car. One will be distracting enough.
My car only has two seats, which I think was a conscious decision by my parents :) though it has one of those seatbelts in the middle, the car was clearly designed as a two seater vehicle. It's just not comfortable to set nor drive with someone in that pseudo-seat.

I've heard a couple of stories recently of organizations reversing course on policies they'd implemented to try to solve a problem, which didn't work, or had unanticipated consequences: First, the US state of Oregon is having a rethink about decriminalizing possession of all drugs. Second, a handful of US universities - Yale is one of them, I believe - are returning to using SAT scores as part of their admissions process, after hundreds (thousands?) of them went to "SAT optional" policies during the Pandemic. In each case, the new policies had good intentions, and either didn't work or had unintended consequences. In each case, the policies were believed to be progressive, by proponents and opponents alike, and I support the goals of both.

So why is this a rave? It's not because the policies failed. That part is a bummer. It's a rave for two reasons: First, people tried to fix a problem; and second, they were able to admit that it wasn't working like they thought it would. In another thread, I criticized William Buckley's "standing athwart history, yelling 'stop'" line, for being a load of horse[manure]. These two stories kind of illustrate why, even though they're both about failed or insufficient policies. Certain people might be pleased to see these attempts to fix problems go off the rails, and might even take the opportunity to say "told ya so." Those people are spineless [turds]. Simply opposing efforts to fix a problem doesn't make you principled, or insightful, or shrewd, even when your myopic, reflexive obstructionism turned out to have been right, this time. 'Nobody bats 1.000'; 'you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.' Pick your sports metaphor. Certain people also criticize others for changing their minds, as if that's a sign of weakness, either in the position taken or the person taking it. Those people are also [turds], who lack basic critical thinking skills. I bet those are the sorts of people who would drive into a river because their GPS told them to take a turn where there was clearly no bridge. (I suppose there are also people who don't think the problems being addressed are actually problems at all, and are glad these efforts failed for that reason. I guess I'm not really addressing those people here. I think they might be psychopaths, or have something else fundamentally wrong with them that I don't understand.)

There's another phrase in sports that frequently applies to life: "Win or learn." In a non-sports context, maybe "succeed or learn" sounds better, because life isn't a competition, but the idea is the same: It's not really a failure if you get up, get better, and try again. First, you had the backbone to admit when something wasn't working, instead of just "sticking to your guns", like being a bonehead is somehow noble. That part is actually harder in life than in sports, because in sports you get immediate and obvious feedback on whether what you attempted works or not: You get a base-hit, or you complete the play or score a goal, or you win or lose the game. That kind of clarity is often missing in life (it's one of the things those of us who like sports like about sports). But regardless, once you see some results, you watch the proverbial tape, you analyze what happened, you figure out what didn't work (and what did work, even if the overall effort wasn't successful), and you adapt. The person who tells you not to try, or who yells "ha ha" after you stumble is just a [donkey], [screw] 'em.

I realize that Oregon and the schools still have to follow through on the 'learn' part of "win or learn." If they don't, all they did was lose. Taking and applying lessons from something that was less than a complete success is also easier said than done. There are times in life when you simply don't know what to make of what happened. So yes, it's an incomplete rave, and yes, it could turn out a few years from now that I gave them credit prematurely, but for now, it's a rave.

Last edited:
My gf and I got into loose-leaf tea and I bought a fancy one (gyokuro) yesterday.

My god, it's almost like drinking a steak, it is so umami, so potent, such flavour.

stupid but gives me a lil happiness for a few seconds (mate w a pawn in the opening always fun)

stupid but gives me a lil happiness for a few seconds (mate w a pawn in the opening always fun)
Are you going for a title ever in life?

You still playing? Nice!

I work as a chess coach these days along other jobs of mine.

My gf and I got into loose-leaf tea and I bought a fancy one (gyokuro) yesterday.

My god, it's almost like drinking a steak, it is so umami, so potent, such flavour.
Nice, I should too that, I stopped drinking bags as they leech plastic but haven't gotten into loose leaf, whats your favorite?
Are you going for a title ever in life?
I'd like to but it's a lot of discipline, time & dedication. It would be cool as it's very rare for someone who's been 1800-2000's for over a decade & who is in their mid-40's to make the leap (to 2200+) but I'd need a quantum shift in my mindstate, discipline & time management
You still playing? Nice!

I work as a chess coach these days along other jobs of mine.
Sweet, yeah I miss having students, I had this Chinese kid in Flushing Queens years ago who I really liked, his mom didn't pay me as much as I'd like but she made me amazing dinners after the lesson.

David Simon, creator of Homicide: Life on the Street and The Wire, on Rep. Marjorie Taylor Green (R-GA): "...a submoronic pratfall of a human being." Awesome. :clap:

Nice, I should too that, I stopped drinking bags as they leech plastic but haven't gotten into loose leaf, whats your favorite?
Almost any green tea, honestly. A good sencha always works.

I broke my bed. Not in the fun way either, that's not the rave. When I bought it, it was missing one piece. I got in touch with the seller and asked them to send me the one piece. They hemmed and hawed for like 2 months, 'cause they couldn't get the one piece from China, or wherever. Finally, they said they'd just send me a whole new bed. I didn't want a whole new bed. I had no need for a 2nd bed, and no place to put a 2nd bed, and disposing of a whole bed would be a PITA, not to mentioned wasteful. I practically begged them not to send me a whole 'nother bed. They sent me a whole 'nother bed. So I took the 1 piece I needed and stowed the rest of it in the basement, figuring that one day somebody would say, "I need a new bed" and then I could say "A-ha!"

And then the other day, I broke my bed. "A-ha!" I said.

Getting it back up the stairs was tougher than I though it'd be, though. I need to sit down for a minute.

Top Bottom