This is just ridiculous

civnoob13

King
I can't tell you how many times Vs Montezuma that I have bombarded his units to an inch of their lives, but not manageing to finish the job. On the next turn, they get a bloody instaheal! I'm not against the concept of instaheal. I am however strongly against the concept of getting experience for doing nothing, as in getting bombarded. You should only get experience for attacking or if you are being attacked by a melee unit.

Discuss

I can't tell you how many times Vs Montezuma that I have bombarded his units to an inch of their lives, but not manageing to finish the job. On the next turn, they get a bloody instaheal! I'm not against the concept of instaheal. I am however strongly against the concept of getting experience for doing nothing, as in getting bombarded. You should only get experience for attacking or if you are being attacked by a melee unit.

Discuss

Disagree strongly!:) Experience is experience, my friend; ask any trooper who's ever been shot at while hugging the ground. Do you think he will say that he was "doing nothing?"

Disagree strongly!:) Experience is experience, my friend; ask any trooper who's ever been shot at while hugging the ground. Do you think he will say that he was "doing nothing?"

this and also why are you still falling for this and bombarding him down?

I strongly disagree too...

Firing your weapon at someone is a lot easier on you than being fired at, as far as combat psyche is concerned. You could make a case that to be fired on, especially by artillery, should give more xp.

imho, the balance is right on this issue at present.

Ottoman jannisaries and upgraded troops are even funnier than this... I kamikaze into you with 2 health left, but end up with a free full heal!

=) I don't mind it, since it's usually a knife that cuts both ways.

The Japanese are really frustrating in this way. I can't count the number of times a near-death (still full strength) samurai has instahealed and whaled on me.

There's already a discrepancy between the amount of experience your unit usually get while attacking compared with defending in favor of attack, so that's fine.

A suggestion could could be to make the instant heal promotio inactive after the unit has earned enough points to give it, say 2 promotions. The instant heal should only be available when the unit is green and perhaps struggles for survival against barabarians etc.

Never ever use it myself unless absolutely forced to. Always prefer to chicken out, let the unit heal and give it a 'real' promotion, even if it means a delay in my overall plans.

It's an annoying game mechanic, but hardly a broken one. As many times as the AI has used it against me, it can be used in SP to great tactical advantage. I think the AI also may needs it to remain competitive, the combat AI is so pitiful as it is, that I don't mind a boost like insta-heal. As to how to prevent it, mind the promotions the opposing unit has and you can guesstimate how much xp it has and determine what units to bombard accordingly, spreading the ranged attacks out so as not to push any unit to the critical 10xp. Hardly a perfect science (seeing the unit's xp would help a LOT) but it helps to avoid those annoying 1 HP units instantly going to 10 hp.

Top Bottom