Trade Routes over Sea

Astat

Warlord
presumeably an often-asked question, but i didnt find it in FAQ/forum... i wanted to get some ivory from the indians, who live on another continent. we both have a harbor which is connected to the capital city and the ivory's also available for the indian. i've explored the open sea between my and the indian harbor - but it still says that i need a sea trade route to trade with the indians :???:
btw: the japanese are situated on the same continent as i am, and we can trade although there's no road connection existing so far.

what do i do wrong? :)

I've had the same thing, but I also researched navigation. Still didn't work...

You need to have the harbors (connected to your capital) and you need to have the necessary techs to travel by water (from harbor to harbor) through the required tiles. For example, if you haven't researched the tech required to travel over sea squares safely, you can't use them to establish a trade route. Also, the other civ must have this ability. Finally, you need to be able to see (on the world map) the trade route being used (it can't be black as if you haven't explored it yet). I'm not sure if the other civ must also have explored this route.

AndyS

Originally posted by AndyS
Finally, you need to be able to see (on the world map) the trade route being used (it can't be black as if you haven't explored it yet).
AndyS

Finally. Thanks Andy. Its been driving me crazy thinking I had everything necessary to trade over sea but not being able to. Maybe one of the lines the trade advisor spouts out should be "Sir, if we explore the waters to India we can trade with them". :)

oh man, now everything is clear! :) i hadn't caravels, only triremes... so i could trade with the japanese by sailing along the shore, but not with the indians on the other continent

thx a lot guys :D

Top Bottom