TSG 244 Announcement

vadalaz

Emperor
GOTM Staff
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 244
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ //////////////////////////////////////

Quick links: Upload submission | Opening actions | After actions
Welcome to the 244th game in the GOTM V Training Series! This Series allows new and old Civilization V fans to try out many features from Civ5's expansions and DLCs in a friendly environment. Participants are encouraged to post questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads (described below). Each game will specify the Civ you will play and the Victory Condition to strive for. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread.

MUST READ!
Our most sacred rule: Do not replay any turns!
If you make a mistake, accept it, and try to recover through game-play. To ensure fair play and prevent results exclusions, please set your Autosaves to "1 turn". In the event of a computer crash while playing, just reload to the previous autosave, then play on the same way you played it the first time. Please let Leif or me know (either in the forums or through Private Message) if you experienced a crash and how many turns you replayed.

TSG 244 Details:
Game Settings:
Player (You): Isabella - Spain
Victory Condition: Culture
(but all VCs are enabled)
Difficulty: King
Map Type/Size: Continents/Standard
(8 Civs, 16 City-States)
Pace: Standard
Your Unique Characteristics:
UA: Seven Cities of Gold:
Receive 1 extra happiness and 100 gold for discovering a Natural Wonder (bonus increased to 500 gold if first to discover it). Yields from Natural Wonders doubled.
UU: Tercio: Replaces the Musketman. 50% combat bonus vs mounted units, extra melee strength (26 vs. 24), higher production cost (160 vs. 150). Counts as a melee unit rather than a gunpowder unit.
UU: Conquistador: Replaces the Knight. Can found cities on foreign continents, has extra sight, no city attack penalty, defends at double strength when embarked. Higher production cost (135 vs. 120).
Required DLC: All DLC except Explorer's, Scrambled Nations and Scrambled Continents map packs.
Starting Era: Ancient
Required game options: None
Enabled game options: None
(You may turn on/off Quick Combat/Quick Movement using the game options menu at any time during gameplay.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Brave New World version 1.0.3.279.

Here is where you will start:

TSG244_Start_Screen.jpg

Information about threads associated with each individual TSG - Must Read if you are new to the Game of the Month!
Spoiler :

Please note: If you wish to make a video of your game, please do not post any links to it until after the game submission date has passed. This is because of the potential spoilers that are created by posting before the end date. Thank you for your cooperation.

TSG Announcement thread (this one): This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don't be afraid to ask questions). Its also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don't post any game-related info once you open and play the save. Instead use the next thread.

Opening Actions thread: This thread is used to discuss the game's opening decisions and strategies through the first 100 or so turns. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. We encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots, videos, or recorded/live-cast Let's Plays on other websites.

After Actions thread: In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state your victory/loss date (preferably in the post title) and describe your path to glory in this post! Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after one month, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.
File Upload System
Spoiler :
We have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature)

Please note: you must submit your game on the turn following Victory. If you continue to play, the game overwrites the data and your submission could be rejected by the submission system.

This game runs through June 1st 2024.

@Blake00
@The_J

Attachments

• TSG244_Start.Civ5Save
    510 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Little food to start with, except for the bananas. Maybe Goddess of the hunt then. Or if we can afford fishing boats relatively soon, God of the Sea.

I enjoy Spain GOTM entries. When starting a Spain game I often cycle through so many starts looking for the ‘perfect one’ that I never really commit to the game and then move on. So when a GOTM with Isabella comes along I can buckle down and do my best with whatever the save has in store.

Thanks guys! I’m looking forward to starting this one tomorrow.

Yields from Natural Wonders doubled.​
I wonder if that goes for all yields - happiness, production, culture, faith? I have my doubts after spotting this in a game where I played as Spain:
1714377782764.png

The standard yield of Mount Kailash is 6 faith and 2 happiness.

Mt. Kailash on your screenshot is on neutral territory, and in such cases the tooltips only show double happiness for some reason. But all yields are doubled when a natural wonder is actually inside your borders. This also includes faith from One With Nature pantheon and culture from Natural Heritage Sites congress resolution.

I'm torn between going for sacred sites or a different strategy. SS could be tricky on a continents map if we need Astronomy. Maybe go SS first and then eliminate any culture runaways on other continents with Conquistadores?

Or go for something completely different for a change? Hmmm...

I think I will try a different strategy than sacred sites, even though at King level it will probably give the fastest victory. It's just that I enjoy building huge cities and spamming all the wonders much more than settling many terrible cities with the only purpose of buying two faith buildings.

Btw, the save cannot be downloaded yet, right, or am I not looking straight?

Sounds fun, looking forward to it.

Little food to start with, except for the bananas. Maybe Goddess of the hunt then. Or if we can afford fishing boats relatively soon, God of the Sea.

Plenty of food with a lighthouse. Plus we are coastal for an early cargo ship and have lots of river tiles.

Sacred sites is too easy on King, so I’ll go for a more traditional culture game.

Plenty of food with a lighthouse. Plus we are coastal for an early cargo ship and have lots of river tiles.
Yes, obviously there are good opportunities for growth as the game progresses. I was referring to the tiles as we see them in the beginning.

Unfortunately, sacred sites plus an ocean-travelling Great Admiral will surely take too long to implement.

Sounds fun, looking forward to it.

Sacred sites is too easy on King, so I’ll go for a more traditional culture game.
Too easy? That's an interesting argument :)

Waiting until I tech all the way to Internet is too boring in my opinion...

That said, I'm not a huge fan of city spamming either. My favorite culture victory is going all-out builder, getting all the Renaissance wonders, digging up some artifacts, and hopefully winning around Hotels. Ideally killing off a culture runaway or two in the meantime.

It may not be the most efficient CV, but definitely the most fun :)

Ah Spain on King. Time to send out the Conquistadores! If this weren't Spain I'd say the pantheon that gives food for camps would be a good choice since we can't settle on any of those luxes; but that would mean no OWN.
the pantheon that gives food for camps = Goddess of the hunt

? = OWN

the pantheon that gives food for camps = Goddess of the hunt

? = OWN
Yep, as Bemep and sebtanic said, One With Nature. I forget most of the pantheon names but not that one. Especially with Spain; I can just imagine Great Barrier Reef just of sight in the fog!

Edit. P.S. I really like the Announcement with the screenshot being posted a few days earlier than the save is released.

Yep, as Bemep and sebtanic said, One With Nature. I forget most of the pantheon names but not that one. Especially with Spain; I can just imagine Great Barrier Reef just of sight in the fog!

Hopefully not in the 4th ring if we SIP! :shifty: (haven't opened the save yet)

Edit. P.S. I really like the Announcement with the screenshot being posted a few days earlier than the save is released.
Me too!

Top Bottom