Two Quick Things: Translation and Titles

xHeraldicx

Chieftain
So comrades, first I would like to congratulate you on the performance of this new version, it is sublime to have a game as complete and with a nice performance like that of this new version. Congratulations to all of you!

Regarding the translation, I want to say that a buddy is developing a program to facilitate the translation of the mod, making it possible to finish the translation into many other languages. We are just adjusting the translation server as well as some errors related to the file size.

I also wanted to propose the use of titles for civilizations as it existed in the mod "Rise of Mankind", where nations and the leader were characterized according to the government (King, Dictator, President, etc.), and also the nation (Republic , Kingdom, Tribe, etc.).

We had Dynamic Civ Names until Feb 2016. An 'upgrade' didn't work, and was for some reason immediately followed by a purge of the option. Please join me in pressing for its reinstatement.

What makes the names change? Just civics?
I just had a quick look in the .py, apart from civics it uses number of cities (eg. Tribe or City State), and whether the civ is a vassal, a Rev rebel (eg. Liberation Front) or a Barb Civ.

I also wanted to propose the use of titles for civilizations as it existed in the mod "Rise of Mankind", where nations and the leader were characterized according to the government (King, Dictator, President, etc.), and also the nation (Republic , Kingdom, Tribe, etc.).

Simple answer this is based on civics for the most part and the civics in C2C moved away from those in RoM. Whereas each civic in the code belonged to one civic group in C2C the names changed and so did the groups meaning that two of the choices may be correct at the same time and the code expects only one to be true.

We had Dynamic Civ Names until Feb 2016. An 'upgrade' didn't work, and was for some reason immediately followed by a purge of the option. Please join me in pressing for its reinstatement.
None of the current team members are focused on that sort of thing.

None of the current team members are focused on that sort of thing.
DH is still here. All it would take is to revert a couple of commits, or list what we'd need to do to reverse them

DH is still here. All it would take is to revert a couple of commits, or list what we'd need to do to reverse them
It would be nice if someone would go back and see what was disrupted but that was on the old SVN so might be a little difficult to track back that far.

Commits 8990 and 8994, 7th - 8th Jan 2016:
  • Fix for Grape Gatherer improvement ie not on non-grape plots

• Fixes to other Python modules to allow DynamicCivNames to be run

• Remove reference to Platyping's Dynamic Civ Names mod from config init file

• Add Crab stories etc
They seem to be the only mentions in the Changelog thread.

Reverting would not solve the issues.

2. The code (RoM from Revolutions mod) is based on the civic names and assumes all the names used are in the same civic. In C2C they are not. This means that in short order every nation ends up with the same name and gets stuck there.

3. Platyping's code does not work at all in C2C because just replacing the Python is not enough. There is something (from Revolutions) in the dll which does stuff. It needs to be removed first.

Rewriting the Revolution dynamic name code for C2C is the only currently viable solution. However it needs some input on what the various combinations of C2C civics mean for the dynamic names. The last time I looked at it the Civics were in too much flux with names both changing and moving between categories. If they are fixed for the time being it may be time to revisit this.

Reverting would not solve the issues.

2. The code (RoM from Revolutions mod) is based on the civic names and assumes all the names used are in the same civic. In C2C they are not. This means that in short order every nation ends up with the same name and gets stuck there.
So you keep saying. It's far from perfect, but it's better than nothing, and there'd be very little left of the mod if perfection was insisted on.
2015-10-02_00006.jpg

The last screenie (so far) of my Aotearoa save, dated Oct 2015. As well as Kingdom, Republic and Empire, there are also Liberation Front, Duchy and Nation.
20181023054419_1.jpg

Last screenie (so far) of Shaka de Paris save, using an Oct 2015 version. I haven't doctored that, Dynamic Civ Names gave me "People's Republic of..."

Proof that DCN was working way better than nothing right up to the time it was removed.

I was thinkin of tryin to help but idk... someone else would need to check the xml text keys and look at the civics.
https://github.com/caveman2cosmos/Caveman2Cosmos/pull/554/files
It's much easier to check stuff in-game. If you can make it a modmod (easier than an option I presume), I will get the latest SVN and playtest it.

If not, can you please clarify what exactly you need me to check.

Also, that code in github doesn't fit on the screen, and the scroll bar is pages and pages away. Could you upload your .py here instead (assuming it's different from the one I've got).

I tried starting it up and the original way needs a tiny dll modification before it can be loaded in game.
If you wanna get started then open the python file and search localText.getText
The following parameter is a reference to some xml. Figure out if that stuff needs to be remade.
Also search getInfoTypeForString and try to figure that stuff out.

I tried starting it up and the original way needs a tiny dll modification before it can be loaded in game.
If you wanna get started then open the python file and search localText.getText
The following parameter is a reference to some xml. Figure out if that stuff needs to be remade.
Also search getInfoTypeForString and try to figure that stuff out.
Global_CIV4GameText.xml still has 67 matches to TXT_KEY_MOD_DCN_... So probably all still there.

In my current version, all the CIVIC_ and CIVICOPTION_ entries (in getInfoTypeForString) are correct. In the female leaders, two are missing, LEADER_SALAMASINA and LEADER_WILHELMINA

And COLOR_HIGHLIGHT_TEXT is still called that and still defined...

What's next?:)

here it is the way it was in svn 8000. I got no idea what needs to be done now.

Attachments

• Assets.7z
    13.9 KB · Views: 187
here it is the way it was in svn 8000. I got no idea what needs to be done now.
Good news first (to get it out of the way cos there's so little of it...):
My save loads with the modified assets.

Now for the bad news:
Worst first, nothing I can do makes anyone's civ names change. I've tried recalc, end turn, and save and load.

Second worst, of the BUG option tabs, only the General and half of the RevDCM tabs load.

Finally, (and these are almost good news by comparison and because there's only a couple of them):
Errors relate to CvPythonExtensions.GameOptionTypes and the gameoptions GAMEOPTION_BARBARIAN_CIV and GAMEOPTION_INQUISITIONS

A text key for the name of the option, TXT_KEY_BUG_OPT_REVDCM__DYNAMIC_CIV_NAMES_TEXT, is missing from BUG_CIV4GameText.xml. I could fix that one:cool:!

All I can do now is see if I can find those gameoption error causes in the code (if that's C code I'll be looking in any very old versions I may have lying around), in case anything momentous occurs to me.

@MattCA, didn't you say there was a little dll change needed? I realize it will be no good to me in my current game (you couldn't use even a slightly old version of the dll), but I could get the latest SVN and start a new game to test it.

Do any of the above errors go away if I start a new game? I imagine not, because they're due to differences between SVN 8000 and "now", but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask...

Last edited:
Wow I fixed all the errors with BUG. All tabs load now. BARBARIAN_CIV is NO_BARBARIAN_CIV, INQUISITIONS is NO_INQUISITIONS, and REVOLUTION is NO_REVOLUTION.

But of course everyone knew that already...

I should be able to fix the similar errors on game load (that I hadn't explicitly mentioned before).

Next version. I hooked it up to the recalc.
Civics need to be updated. Many that are used don't exist in the mod.

Attachments

• Assets.7z
    8.5 KB · Views: 174
Does this require latest SVN 11163?

Top Bottom