UK Politics V - Have We Got News For You

It's been a good while since it happened, so I don't remember the exact words he said, but publicly spreading conspiracy theories is never a good look, even if this one was more likely than others.

Just when you think the UK can't get any worse, Galloway reappears.

At least American politics have a "Last Days of Rome" vibe to them; your politics are more of a "Last Days of the School Board" vibe.
Heck, the BBC had as a top news story something about inbred Germans photoshopping a picture.

Heck, the BBC had as a top news story something about inbred Germans photoshopping a picture.
The question is who's death are they trying to cover up.

If you read quality news, like Mail on Sunday you wouldn't get your lederhosen in such a bunch about the Princess!

"I pray for Kate but my NFH [non-fatal hospitalisation] turned out to be a blessing in disguise...
I was in my 40s, I had two young children, a full-time job, a busy, often absent, husband in a very high-profile role – and I was running on empty, spinning far too many plates. I wasn't looking after myself or sleeping enough, and my diet was terrible. No surprise I got sick..."
– Sarah Vine, 21 Jan. 2024.

To Edward? Edward the idiot?!
Don’t speak that way about @EnglishEdward!
King Gives Scotland to Prince Edward.
I'm sorry, I'll read that again
King Gives Scotland's Top Honour to Prince Edward.
@EnglishEdward are you going to change your name to ScottishEdward now? ;)

The primary attraction of doing that would be so that I can blame all sorts of things on those sassenachs down south.

However while my mother was born in Glasgow, I regard myself as firstly English.

More importantly I could never master the bappipes, and I am too old to toss the caber.

But I do like porridge for breakfast.

I procure no joy from this, but "sassenach" is in fact, correct.

Some research suggests both can be (but it's hard to find an etymological study on such a narrow bit of slang), but sassenach seems to have a lot more grounding to it.

Caol ri caol, leathann ri leathann. Can't have an e and an a at two ends of a syllable. :nono:

btw in Gaelic it's ‘Sasannach’. No point in a double s there.

Caol ri caol, leathann ri leathann. Can't have an e and an a at two ends of a syllable. :nono:

btw in Gaelic it's ‘Sasannach’. No point in a double s there.
Irish Gaelic and Scottish Gaelic diverge a bit, but this looks like an accurate summary:
a general Gaelic word, especially among the Scottish Highlanders, for "an English person," 1771, Sassenaugh, literally "Saxon," from Gaelic Sasunnach, from Latin Saxones, from a Germanic source (such as Old English Seaxe "the Saxons;" see Saxon). The modern form of the word was established c. 1814 by Sir Walter Scott, from Scottish Sasunnoch, Irish Sasanach. The Welsh form is Seisnig.

A bit on the nose! But he seems (well, seemed) pretty Scottish :D

It's actually wild how difficult it is to get sources on this that aren't random paragraphs on Quora or whatever. It's also not something I really studied, either (probably should've done, given my own Scottish half).

It's actually wild how difficult it is to get sources on this that aren't random paragraphs on Quora or whatever.
You need to start delving into places liek dwelly.info, faclair.com, Gairm Books, SMO (Sabhal mór ostaig), etc.

Last edited:
Now I am reading that the Tories are trying to pay asylum seekers to go board the plane to Rwanda™.

Well according to the Beeb, we now have more Giant Redwoods than California.

and that is without even counting:

Giant sequoia (Sequoiadendron giganteum) in the UK: carbon storage potential and growth rates

This study provides the first estimate of the growth and carbon sequestration of UK open-grown S. giganteum and provides a baseline for estimating their longer-term carbon sequestration capacity.​

There seems to be an element of grasping at straws or something there.

Edward, do you think there's nobody called Redwood in the USA?

Top Bottom