Unique Civ-Specific Great People Names

Concerning the names you used for the Civs:

For Arabia: You used Mu'awiya twice, as Great General and as Prophet!

I'm in doubt whether to use the first 4 Caliphs as GPs. Why not use religiously innovative people like Al-Ghazzali, Ibn Arabi, Ja'far as-Sadiq, As-Shafii ?

Some more Great generals: Khalid ibn Al-Walid, Amr Ibn al-As, Tarek, Saif ad-Daula

Great Scientists: I think Al-Biruni is still missing as a major contributor.

Thabit Ibn Qurra is included twice: One time for the Arabs, one for the Turks.

You will probably be pleased with the next expanded edition and get a lot of use out of it. Right now I have collected 1700 names, including a few American scientists who lived before Hubble, as well as later ones for the ancient civs (modern Egyptians, for instance). This will help balance things a little and would be much better for an age-specific mod (if I ever manage to do it) than the smaller list posted already. Also, Wyz_sub10 has a list from the mod that he and Jeckel were working on a few months back, so there are probably additional names there. Next stop, 3000...

I have to say I'm honored that this will be implemented in the Great Person mod. I always considered it to be one of the best, and when I saw it blended with mine in Total Realism I was pleasantly surprised.

You know, a thought occurred to me: we really ought to think about making some sort of petition or something to Firaxis to have them put this in a future expansion. It's not like the modding is that hard, and the lists are already compiled so it's not like they have to look them up again. And it doesn't change the gameplay, just the art, so it doesn't have to be balanced.
Just a thought. :)

That's good to hear about the leaders, and I agree with the petition because this is steadily turning into a very high quality mod, with all the names and the individual art, which would look good in the next expansion.

I've also made a template for the modern era people (see pictures below) which I think suits them better than the tattered scroll. However, if we can't get this age-specific mod going then it makes getting those people in the ancient times even worse. For the american GP I used the american seal but a gold star could be used for other GP or their own country's seal or symbol etc. Also, most of the art created by Amra and the others didn't have the alpha channel and was displaying the background. So I fixed that for the others. All the ones below are american (haven't started on other civs yet) and also I have changed the pen colour to a wood colour in newer pics to make it not blend into the background.

Ambassador:
Good catch. I already found some names I used twice, which is understandable as this project was done over many weeks. Of course, Firaxis did the same thing (Joan of Arc as both prophet and general) so at least I'm in good company! :) But thank you so much; I'm glad to see people are finally reporting mistakes. I can be totally blind to my own errors at times.

As for the names you mentioned, I have included some of them already in the new list, such as Khalid ibn Al-Walid, and I'll add the ones I don't have as well as fix the duplicates in the next release.

This raises a good point: my knowledge of history (and therefore of prominent people) is largely limited to the ancient Mediterranean, late Medieval and Renaissance Europe, and of course modern times, in particular America, so if anyone out there who knows a good amount of, say, Asian or African history, spots that some of the "big names" are missing, I would encourage you to please post them here. I want this to be as thorough as possible.

Chugginator:
Very good job on the art and quotes, though I was hoping to see my favorite Twain quote: "there's lies, and there's damned lies, and then there's statistics!" :lol: I do like the modern background; gives one a feeling of a scientist's notepad. Question: is the seal of the United States present for all modern GP art, or just for America's? I don't think you'd want that for other civs.

I think I can help you with some of the quotes; I'll try to collect a few of them and post them when I release the next list.

Gaurav:
I've been in contact with Mexico about his SDK mod because that's exactly what I thought to use first. But it just didn't work with my mod for some reason. I even tried the Total Realism SDK (as his mod is one part of it) but that didn't work either. He said he would take a look at it and see if maybe there was a bug in the code, but I haven't heard any new info on it yet.

Here are my civ-specific additions:

Greece

GP: Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Anaximander, Saint Photios
GA: Praxiteles, Apelles, Polygnotus, Pheidias, El Greco
GS: Zeno of Elea, Hippocrates, Dimitri Nanopoulos, Georgios Papanikolaou, Demetrios Christodoulou
GE: Pythagoras, Euclid, Hippodamus, Isidore of Miletus, Anthemius of Tralles
GM: Aristotle Onassis, Socrates Kokkalis, Basil Zaharoff, George Livanos, Stavros Niarchos
GG: Alcibiades, Themistocles, Leonidas, Miltiades, Pavlos Kountouriotis

Japan

GP: Dogen, Eisai, Kukai, Nichiren, Nikko Shonin
GA: Murasaki Shikibu, Ryokan, Saigyo, Kurosawa Akira, Mifune Toshiro
GS: Koichi Tanaka, Tetsuya Fujita, Susumu Tonegawa, Hideki Yukawa, Sin-Itiro Tomonaga
GE: Seki Takakazu, Kenkichi Iwasawa, Hidetsugu Aneha, Kunihiko Kodaira, Goro Shimura
GM: Kiichiro Toyoda, Soichiro Honda, Masaru Ibuka, Yataro Iwasaki, Akio Morita
GG: Minamoto no Yoritomo, Ashikaga Takauji, Taira no Kiyomori, Tojo Hideki, Isoroku Yamamoto

Russia

GP: Saint Nicholas, Olga Nikolaevna, Epiphanius the Wise, Vladimir Lenin, Leon Trosky
GA: Leo Tolstoy, Fyodor Dostoevsky, Modest Mussorgsky, Pyotr Tchaikovsky, Mikhail Baryshnikov
GS: Dmitri Mendeleyev, Pyotr Kapitsa, Karl Klaus, Nikolay Basov, Zhores Alferov, Nikolay Semyonov
GE: Sergei Korolev, Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, Andrey Kvasov, Alexander Kokorinov, Yuri Gagarin
GM: Nikolay Novikov, Vagit Alekperov, Vladimir Lisin, Viktor Vekselberg, Mikhail Fridman
GG: Dmitri Donskoi, Pavel Nakhimov, Vasily Chuikov, Mikhail Skobelev, Aleksandr Suvorov

England

GP: Thomas More, Pope Adrian IV, Bertrand Russell, John Stuart Mill, Francis Bacon
GA: William Shakespeare, Charles Dickens, John Keats, Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Alfred Hitchcock
GS: Isaac Newton, Charles Darwin, Robert Boyle, Robert Hooke, Michael Faraday
GE: Henry Bessemer, Henry Royce, Geoffrey de Havilland, Christopher Wren, George Stephenson
GM: Abraham Darby, Josiah Wedgwood, William Morris, Cecil Rhodes, Richard Branson
GG: Horatio Nelson, Oliver Cromwell, Thomas Montagu, Arthur Wellesley, Robert Blake

Egypt

GP: Nefertiti, Shoshenq, Ptahhotep, Abbas Mahmoud el-Akkad, Yusuf al-Qaradawi
GA: Ahmed Shawqi, Hafiz Ibrahim, Abd al-Rahman Abnudi, Mahmoud Mokhtar, Sayed Darwish
GS: Ptolemy of Alexandria, Manetho, Ahmed H. Zewail, Farouk El-Baz, Nasr Abu Zayd
GE: Imhotep, Sneferu, Khufu, Ahmes, Senemut
GM: Ineni, Khaemweset, Maya, Onsi Sawiris, Fayez Shalaby Sarofim
GG: Thutmose III, Sammuramat, Weni the Elder, Mehemet Ali, Hanseen Abdelnaby

India

GP: Siddhartha Gautama, Chaitanya, Ayya Vaikundar, Swami Prabhupada, Dayananda Saraswati
GA: Raja Ravi Varma, Amrita Sher-Gil, Ravi Shankar, Satyajit Ray, Anil Kumar Dutta
GS: Panini, Aryabhata, Parameshvara, Chandrasekhara Venkata Raman, Subramanyan Chandrasekhar
GE: Yajnavalkya, Baudhayana, Madhava, Srinivasa Ramanujan, Jyeshtadeva
GM: Jamshetji Tata, Ghanshyam Das Birla, S. L. Kirloskar, Lakshmi Mittal, Azim Premji
GG: Ikshvaku, Chandragupta Maurya, Rajaraja Chola I, Jatavarman Sundara Pandyan, Alauddin Khilji

Zulu

GP: Mnguni, Zulu kaNtombhela, Nelson Mandela, Desmond Tutu, Steven Biko
GA: Phuzekhemisi, Mfazomnyama, Benedict Wallet Vilakazi, Pauline Malefane, Peter Mtuze
GS: Thebe Medupe, Fatima Meer, Thabo Mbeki, Yusuf Dadoo, Victoria Mxenge
GE: Mangosuthu Buthelezi, Nkosinkulu, Mdlani, Luzumana, Phunga kaGumede
GM: Mamphela Ramphele, Tokyo Sexwale, Cyril Ramaphosa, Patrice Motsepe, Basetsana Kumalo
GG: Senzangakhona, Mageba kaGumede, Dingane, Mpande, Dinuzulu

Celts

GP: Illtud, Richard Gwyn, Petroc, Piran, Richard Price
GA: Orlande de Lassus, Sarah Siddons, André Grétry, Dan Ar Braz, John Gibson
GS: William Salesbury, Realth Chalmers, Robert Recorde, William Pengelly,John Couch Adams
GE: John Dee, Richard Trevithick, Paul Hankar, George Everest, Victor Horta
GM: David Davies, John Josiah Guest, Charles Stewart Rolls, Alfred Lowenstein, Étienne Davignon
GG: Vercingetorix, Wagnijo, Ambiorix, Llywelyn the Great, Mark of Cornwall

Persia

GP: Zoroaster, Muawiya, Abu Bakr Alsideek, Al-Ma'mun, Mansur Al-Hallaj
GA: Firdawsi, Omar Khayyam, Reza Abbasi, Ibn Muqaffa, Iraj Mirza
GS: Azophi, Abdolrahman Sufi, Avicenna, Ali Ibn Rabn Tabari, Ahmad tayyeb Sarakhsi
GE: Ala'eddin, Musa al-Khwarizmi, Mashallah, Rhazes, Mahmud Ghazan, Abu Abbas Fazl Hatam
GM: Hassan Amin Al-zarb, Shah Abbas, Khwaja Hasan Shusteri, Mir Jumla, David Khalili
GG: Teispes, Darius I, Surena, Tariq ibn-Ziyad, Nadir Shah

Arabs

GP: Muhammad, Ibrahim, Dhu'l-kifl, Al-Yasa, Zakariyya
GA: Ibn Arabi, Khalil Gibran, Abdul Halim Radawi, Faisal Samra, Mohammed Al-Senan
GS: Jabir ibn Haiyan, Alkindus, Hunayn Ibn Ishaq, al-Masudi, Abu Jafar al-Tabari
GE: Thabit ibn Qurra, Abu Abdullah Al-Battani, Ibrahim ibn Sinan, Ibn Yunus, Omar Khayyam
GM: Al-Waleed bin Talal, Sulaiman Al Rajhi, Sulaiman S. Olayan, Saleh Kamel, Adnan Khashoggi
GG: Ahmed Ibn El Ghazi, Khalid bin Walid, Ali ibn Abi Talib, Muhammad bin Saud, Abdul Aziz bin Saud

Inca

(GP, GA, and GM are generic terms)

GP: Willaq of Inti, Willaq of Kon, Willaq of Illapa, Willaq of Mama Quilla, Willaq of Supay
GA: Inkan rumiru, Inkan pintay, Inkan rullanu, Inkan tarka, Inkan takiy
GS: Mama Ocllo, First Yachayhuasis, Second Yachayhuasis, Third Yachayhuasis, Fourth Yachayhuasis
GE: Manco Capac, Willaq uma, Wasichay Tiwanaku, Wasichay Machu Picchu, Wasichay Kalasasaya
GM: First Acllawasi, Second Acllawasi, Third Acllawasi, Fourth Acllawasi, Fifth Acllawasi
GG: Sinchi Roca, Pachacuti, Tupac Inca, Tupac Amaru II, Atahualpa

Mali (Sen/Mal)

GP: Abu Bakr, Mahmud, Al-Hajj Umar Tall, Mabba Jaxu Ba, Blaise Diagne
GA: Soueloum Diagho, Kele Monson Diabate, Doumbi Fakoly, Fanta Damba, Falaba Issa Traore
GS: Ibrahima Aya, Alpha Mande Diarra, Amadou Hampate Ba, Abdou Diouf, Segolene Royal
GE: Koi Kunboro, Ismaila Traore, Abdoulaye Gaye, Sanoussi Diakite, Jacques Diouf
GM: Babani Sissoko, Abderahmane Sow, Saikou Ceesay, Oumou Sy, Lally Diab
GG: Sundiata Keita, Mansa Wali Keita, Sakura, Musa II, Suleyman, Aoua Keita

Mongolia

GP: Sorghaghtani Beki, Altan Khaan, Gendun Drup, Gendun Gyatso, Zanabazar
GA: Dashdorjiin Natsagdorj, Tsendyn Damdinsuren, Bilegiin Damdinsuren, Oyuun, Ulambayar
GS: Shihikhutug, Chagatai, Roy Chapman Andrews, Jargal Jamsranjav, Narantuya Davaa
GE: Mongke Khan, Hulagu Khan, Jochi, Batu Khan, Jugderdemidiyn Gurragcha
GM: Aldanjavyn Ayush, Hatmut Bartsch, Bayasgalan, Jargalsaikhan, Enkhee
GG: Yesugei, Ogedei Khan, Tamerlane, Sabotai, Sukhbaatar

America

GP: St. Elizabeth Seton, Martin Luther King Jr., Joseph Smith, Billy Sunday, St. Rose Duchesne
GA: Ernest Hemingway, Georgia O’Keefe, Elvis Presley, John Ford, Winslow Homer
GS: Thomas Edison, Linus Pauling, Jonas Salk, John Bardeen, Murray Gell-Mann
GE: Eli Whitney, Wright Brothers, Robert Goddard, Williams Coolidge, Frank Lloyd Wright
GM: Adam Smith, Andrew Carnegie, John D. Rockefeller, Sam Walton, Bill Gates
GG: Nathanael Greene, Ulysses S. Grant, Robert E. Lee, Douglas MacArthur, George S. Patton

Aztec

(GA named after specific art works)

GP: Quetzalcoatl, Tenoch, Moctezuma I, Ahuitzotl, Cuauhtemoc
GA: Tablet of Founding, Standing Male Figure, Obsidian Monkey, House of Dawn, Sculpture of Xochipilli
GS: Tonalpouque of Sacred Round, Tonalpouque Tonalpohualli, Tonalpouque Xiuhmolpilli, Tonalpouque Tonalamatl, Tonalpouque Tonatiuh
GE: Acamapichtli, Huitzilihuitl, Chimalpopoca, Tizoc, Nezahualcoyotl
GM: Pochtecas Tenoch, Pochtecas Tuxpan, Pochtecas Tacupa, Pochtecas Texcoco, Pochtecas Huaxyacac
GG: Axayacatl, Ahuitzotl, Cuitlahuac, Itzcoatl, Ilhuicamina

Korea

GP: Daegak Guksa, Ichadon, Tae-geon Kim, Moon Sun-myung, Jin-suk Cheong
GA: Owon, Jeong Cheol, Lee Eun Cheol, Jo Su-mi, Kang Chol-Hwan
GS: Yi Hwang, Kim Soon-kwon, Ju Si-gyeong, Hwang Woo-Suk, Lee Whi-so
GE: Dangun, Munseong, Jang Young Sil, Chungnyeol, Seong Sam-Mun,
GM: Shin Kyuk-ho, Lee Kun-Hee, Kim Woo-joong, Kim Chong-Won, Chung Mong-hun
GG: Shin Sung-gyeom, Eulji Mundeok, Gang Hong-rip, Yi Sun-sin, Kim Il-sung

Spain

GP: Isidore of Seville, Ignatius of Loyola, Bartolome de Las Casas, Teresa of Avila, George Santayana
GA: Francisco de Goya, Miguel de Cervantes, Pablo Picasso, Salvador Dali, Pedro Almodovar
GS: Arnold of Villanova, Andres Manuel del Rio, Mateu Orfila, Santiago Ramon y Cajal, Severo Ochoa
GE: Arzachel, Leonardo Torres y Quevedo, Ildefons Cerda, Antoni Gaudi, Esteban Terradas i Illa
GM: Joseph de la Vega, Juan March Ordinas, Juan Sanchez Vidal, Amancio Ortega, Rafael del Pino
GG: Trajan, Francisco Pizarro, Gonzalo Fernandez de Cordoba, Pedro Navarro, Hernan Cortes

Turkey

GP: Husayn, Junayd Baghdadi, Adnan Oktar, Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Rumi, Shaykh Nazim al-Qubrusi
GA: Osman Hamdi Bey, Gul Baba, Halide Edip Adivar, Nazim Hikmet, Erkan Genis
GS: Hulusi Behcet, Piri Reis, Tahsin Ozguc, Feza Gursey, Semra Dundar
GE: Sinan, Ustad Isa, Isa Muhammad Effendi, Mahmud of Ghazni, Cahit Arf
GM: Rahmi Koc, Omer Sabanci, Nejat Eczacibasi, Sevket Sabanci, Aydin Dogan
GG: Osman I, Alptigin, Suleiman the Magnificent, Murad I, Sokollu Mehmet Pasa

Carthage

GP: Dido, Acherbas, St Aurelius, St Perpetua, St Felicitas
GA: Albert Memmi, Mahmoud Messadi, Ammar Farhat, Mohamed Abderrazaq, Abdelkader Abderrazaq
GS: Hannibal the Rhodian, Hasdrubal Clitomacus, Xanthippus, Roumeika Ben Amara, Ezzedine Triki
GE: Melchus, Mago Barca, Hanno the Navigator, Himilco the Navigator, Jamel Hanbli
GM: Hanno the Great, Hamilcar Saunites, Bomilkar, Azzedine Alaia, Tarak Ben Ammar
GG: Hamilcar Barca, Adherbal, Maharbal, Hasdrubal Barca, Habib Bourguiba

Viking

GP: Ragnar Lodbrok, Healfdene Ragnarsson, Inwaaer the Boneless, Ubbe Ragnarsson, Olav Haraldsson
GA: Egill Skallagrimsson, Halldor Kiljan Laxness, Hans Christian Andersen, Einar Hjorleifsson Kvaran, Hans Kirk
GS: Kari Stefansson, Soren Kierkegaard, Niels Bohr, Niels Finsen, Asgeir Helgason
GE: Freydis Eiriksdottir, Ingolfur Arnarson, Harold Bluetooth, Helgi Eyvindarson, Iorgen Kruger
GM: Erik the Red, Leif Ericson, Bjarni Herjolfsson, Skuli Magnusson, Maersk Mc-Kinney Moller
GG: Askold, Dir, Eirik Bloodaxe, Brodir, Harald Hardrada

These were submitted to Jeckel from someone else. (I tweaked them)

Rome

Great Prophet: St. Paul, St. Peter, St. John, St. Augustine, St. Patrick, St. Thomas Aquinas
Great Artist: Virgil, Horace, Juvenal, Lucretius, Pliny, Plutarch, Dante Alighieri, Michelangelo, Raphael,
Great Scientist: Strabo, Cicero, Sosigenes, Pliny the Elder, Livius, Vitruvius, Galileo, Enrico Fermi,
Great Engineer: Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa, Apollodorus, Leonardo da Vinci, Guglieilmo Marconi
Great Merchant: Lucius Caecilius Jucundus, Publius Sittius, Titus Pomponius Atticus, Marco Polo, Giovanni de Medici, Enrico Dandolo
Great General: Cincinnatus, Scipio Africanus, Gaius Marius, Sulla, Pompey, Germanicus, Vespasian, Trajan, Hadrian, Marcus Aurelius

Germany

GP: Albertus Magnus, Martin Luther, Eusebius Amort, Philipp Melanchthon, Hildegard of Bingen
GA: JS Bach, Ludwig van Beethoven, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Johann Wolfgang Goethe, Johannes Brahms, Richard Wagner
GS: Werner Heisenberg, Carl Friedrich Gauss, Nicolaus Copernicus, Johannes Kepler, Gottfried Leibniz, Heinrich Hertz
GE: Nikolaus August Otto, Johann Gutenberg, Bernhard Philberth, Wernher von Braun, Gottlieb Daimler, Fritz Haber, Ernst Heinkel, Wilhelm Schickard
GM: Gerardus Mercator, August Horch, Ferdinand von Zeppelin, Johann Homann
GG: Arminius, Erwin Rommel, Erich von Manstein, Barbarossa, Maximilian, Charles V, Heinz Guderian

China

GP: Mencius, Han Fei, Confucius, Wang Yuanlu, Chuang Tzu, Mo Tzu
GA: Li Po, Du Fu, Wang Xizhi, Leung Long Chau, Ling Lun,
GS: Xi Ling Shi, Zu Chongzhi, Daniel Chee Tsui, Yuan T. Lee, Tsien Hsue-shen, Su Buqing
GE: Cai Lun, Qian Sanqiang, Charles Kao, Zhang Heng, Bi Sheng
GM: Zhang Qian, Wang Anshi, Zheng He, Lo Hong-Shui, Zhou Zhengyi, Xu Xiake
GG: Sun Tzu, Chang Tso-lin, Cao Cao, Shi Lang, Zhuge Liang

France

GP: Joan of Arc**, Sebastian Castellio, John Calvin, Hubert Languet, Gabriel Marcel
GA: Victor Hugo, Claude Monet, Edouard Manet, Pierre-Auguste Renoir, François Truffaut, Hector Berlioz
GS: Louis Pasteur, Rene Descartes, Marie Curie, Antoine Lavoisier, Pierre-Simon Laplace, Pierre de Fermat
GE: Blaise Pascal, Charles Augustin de Coulomb, Alexandre Gustave Eiffel, Joseph Marie Jacquard, Ferdinand de Lesseps, Louis Daguerre
GM: Coco Chanel, Jacques Cartier, Robert de LaSalle, Jean-Baptiste Say
GG: Charles Martel, Charlemagne, Joan of Arc**, Murat, Charles DeGaulle, Louis-Joseph de Montcalm, Lafayette

Thanks very much, Wyz_sub10! I can already see a number of names I don't have. :goodjob:

These were submitted to Jeckel from someone else. (I tweaked them)
Um, you might want to take a gander at this, say around post #9...
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=179662
Sorry. I couldn't resist. :D But I really do appreciate all this very much.

Keep the feedback coming, guys, and please rate this thread if you like it!

Gaius Octavius said:
Very good job on the art and quotes, though I was hoping to see my favorite Twain quote: "there's lies, and there's damned lies, and then there's statistics!" :lol: I do like the modern background; gives one a feeling of a scientist's notepad. Question: is the seal of the United States present for all modern GP art, or just for America's? I don't think you'd want that for other civs.

I think I can help you with some of the quotes; I'll try to collect a few of them and post them when I release the next list.

I'll change the Twain quote :) ( I personally don't really know much about him, just that he wrote Adventures of Huckleberry Finn which I've never read :p) Also may I suggest J.R.R. Tolkien for another english great artist?
Of course I won't use the American seal for all the civs lol, I'll use their country's seals for their great people, or in the case of the Aztecs, maybe a Mexican seal etc. as these are modern GP (I think an Aztec symbol is actually present on Mexico's flag.)

Thanks for all the quotes as well, these will save a bit of time :)

Um, you might want to take a gander at this, say around post #9...
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=179662
Sorry. I couldn't resist. :D But I really do appreciate all this very much.

lol

Ambassador:
Good catch. I already found some names I used twice, which is understandable as this project was done over many weeks. Of course, Firaxis did the same thing (Joan of Arc as both prophet and general) so at least I'm in good company! :) But thank you so much; I'm glad to see people are finally reporting mistakes. I can be totally blind to my own errors at times.

As for the names you mentioned, I have included some of them already in the new list, such as Khalid ibn Al-Walid, and I'll add the ones I don't have as well as fix the duplicates in the next release.

This raises a good point: my knowledge of history (and therefore of prominent people) is largely limited to the ancient Mediterranean, late Medieval and Renaissance Europe, and of course modern times, in particular America, so if anyone out there who knows a good amount of, say, Asian or African history, spots that some of the "big names" are missing, I would encourage you to please post them here. I want this to be as thorough as possible.

Chugginator:

Gaurav:
I've been in contact with Mexico about his SDK mod because that's exactly what I thought to use first. But it just didn't work with my mod for some reason. I even tried the Total Realism SDK (as his mod is one part of it) but that didn't work either. He said he would take a look at it and see if maybe there was a bug in the code, but I haven't heard any new info on it yet.

sorry guys, i am so busy in last two weeks, don't have time to do anything (even for TR mod :( ) - but i don't forget

I'll change the Twain quote :) ( I personally don't really know much about him, just that he wrote Adventures of Huckleberry Finn which I've never read :p) Also may I suggest J.R.R. Tolkien for another english great artist?
Of course I won't use the American seal for all the civs lol, I'll use their country's seals for their great people, or in the case of the Aztecs, maybe a Mexican seal etc. as these are modern GP (I think an Aztec symbol is actually present on Mexico's flag.)

Thanks for all the quotes as well, these will save a bit of time :)

lol

Sorry, I didn't mean to make you think you had to change any quotes; I always just liked that one. Apparently, though, it was not originally his own, but just something that he popularized. http://www.york.ac.uk/depts/maths/histstat/lies.htm
So your existing one is probably better. I have a lot of sourced quotes from others not present in the previous GP mod, so I'll see if I can compile some more and send them to you.

J.R.R. Tolkien is a good choice. I was also considering J.K. Rowling, Arthur C. Clarke (should he be British or American?) and other contemporary people (maybe John Cleese? :crazyeye: ). England alone now has 128 names and growing.

I would be honored to have it in Rhye's excellent work! I have a partial list for Babylon already, so I'll see what I can do...

Hmm. There are great people in history who don't really fit these categories or the gameplay. Two that came to mind were Nelson Mandela and Martin Luther King Jr. King was a reverend, IIRC; but great prophet doesn't quite fit; better to increase culture, but he's not a great artist, per se. Great leaders with favorite civics sounds appropos, but they're not really statesmen. hmmm.

Ambassador:
Good catch. I already found some names I used twice, which is understandable as this project was done over many weeks. Of course, Firaxis did the same thing (Joan of Arc as both prophet and general) so at least I'm in good company! :)

Actually, for Joan of Arc, that make sense as she was both.
Now, you should use her true name, which is Jeanne d'Arc.

For the French again, Coco Channel is more an artist than a merchant.

Actually, for Joan of Arc, that make sense as she was both.
Now, you should use her true name, which is Jeanne d'Arc.

For the French again, Coco Channel is more an artist than a merchant.

According wo Wikipedia, her name in Latin (the only written language of the time) was Jeanne Darc. [No apostraphe.] The spelling of her name in French (Jeanne d'Arc) and English (Joan of Arc) are based on what people who spoke those vernacular languages (which literate people thought of like your schoolteachers think of slang today) came to say.

Due to this history in Europe, people routinely translate proper nouns. After all, we don't call French Français, do we?

Constantine can be thought of as a GP and GG; Isaac Newton was a scientist, theologian (he wrote more on religion than science), and engineer; Thomas Alva Edison was a scientist, engineer, and businessman, and similarly for Henry Ford; Leonardo da Vinci was all these things and more. My point is that we just can't have duplicate entries, or it would get ridiculous. Got to go with the category of their most well-known contributions. I don't think people want to see the same person born three times over the course of a game. And we have over 2000 names, so it's not like there's a shortage.

Top Bottom