Unique Civ-Specific Great People Names

is Jon Von Neumann in your list ( can be used both for america and hungary ) as a great scientist ?

For Joan of Arc, she didn't spread the faith but she was motivated by faith. It shall discard her to be a Great Prophet !
Nobody teach me about a mispelling in her name. All I can guess is typo at wikipedia or she was made noble.

Absolutely John von Neumann is in the list! He made pretty significant contributions to computer science, mathematics and more.

For Joan of Arc, I currently have her listed as a prophet, though I may change this. I thought I actually had her under generals, as that seems more obvious to me. Oh well...

Well Done, G.O.! This is very well done, and is much needed.

I enjoy using TheLopez's Inquisition Mod, can I manually combine this Mod with that, or will that cause a problem with gameplay? Can this Mod be used with other Mods?

Absolutely John von Neumann is in the list! He made pretty significant contributions to computer science, mathematics and more.

For Joan of Arc, I currently have her listed as a prophet, though I may change this. I thought I actually had her under generals, as that seems more obvious to me. Oh well...

I think you originally had her under both.

Re: Martin Luther King Jr., I think that "prophet" is fine. In my Canadian mod, I have secular humanist Charles Taylor as a prophet. Prophet doesn't necessarily have to be religious. They can be a social visionary or activist as well, IMO.

Also, how do you feel about collaborating on a CIV Gold version that takes into account 70+ new civs? :)

This can be done several ways, but one option is to make full lists for countries that can support them (Canada, Sweden, Hungary, Portugal, etc.) and "pool lists" (based on continent, perhaps) for those less able to support them (Togo, Yemen, upcoming Oxus and Jomon cultures).

Edward The Big:
In theory this mod can be used with any other mod, as there are no real rule changes except for the new UU's and the bgraphicalonly tag, which eliminates the extra 120 civilopedia entries. But this does not change the game dynamics fundamentally. You might run into some trouble if TheLopez's mod changes the same XML files (haven't seen it, so I don't know), but even if it does I'm sure you can still combine them.

Wyz_sub10:
Yeah, I had Joan as both originally until I just had to make a decision for one or the other in the first release. So she's a prophet right now, subject to change without notice. :)

Actually, I tried to avoid putting major secular or atheist figures in as prophets, as I thought this might cause some controversy among both religious and non-religious people; I figured religious people would object because of their non-religious and in some cases even strongly anti-religious status, and the non-religious people would object because it would bring up the old debate over whether atheism and secular humanism are bona fide religions. I'm not familiar with Charles Taylor (there was a Charles Taylor who was the Wright Brothers' mechanic, but I'm sure this is not the same one!).

With MLK, he's not really a prophet in the strict sense but you can at least make the argument that he was an ordained minister and campaigned for civil rights out of his Christian convictions, same with people like William Wilberforce, etc. Plus, due to the fact that prophets can build shrines, which spread religion... well, I just thought it best to restrict the category somewhat. But there are many philosophers, and not necessarily overtly religious ones, in the lists, especially in the Far Eastern civs where there is little or no distinction between philosophy and religion.

Most influential secular thinkers made contributions in other areas anyway, e.g. we could have Isaac Asimov as a scientist or artist, just as I have Blaise Pascal as a scientist. So generally you will find them in there, just not as prophets.

70 new civs in CIV Gold... Oh boy, over 2000 more names, minimum! That would certainly be a challenge, though it might create some problems as I have used, for instance, a few Austrians in my lists for Germany (and similarly for others too). Since your mod would need both, it would take time to check the entries and reorganize them, but it's doable. The real difficulty, as you say, is coming up with names for the lesser civs, but I like your pool list idea. Sort of like the "break it down by culture" option I read somewhere, though this would involve python work and as you know I am not very good at that. I am happy to compile mini-lists (I've done two already for Grave and Rhye), which have three or so names per category, but I presently don't have the time to find 20 names per type for each civ.

Actually, I tried to avoid putting major secular or atheist figures in as prophets, as I thought this might cause some controversy among both religious and non-religious people; I figured religious people would object because of their non-religious and in some cases even strongly anti-religious status, and the non-religious people would object because it would bring up the old debate over whether atheism and secular humanism are bona fide religions.

That makes perfect sense. My rationale was a liberal interpretation of the word "prophet" and the desire to cast a wider net to include some great visionaries who may not fall under the header of religious figure.

Most influential secular thinkers made contributions in other areas anyway, e.g. we could have Isaac Asimov as a scientist or artist, just as I have Blaise Pascal as a scientist. So generally you will find them in there, just not as prophets.

That's cool.

70 new civs in CIV Gold... Oh boy, over 2000 more names, minimum! That would certainly be a challenge, though it might create some problems as I have used, for instance, a few Austrians in my lists for Germany (and similarly for others too). Since your mod would need both, it would take time to check the entries and reorganize them, but it's doable. The real difficulty, as you say, is coming up with names for the lesser civs, but I like your pool list idea. Sort of like the "break it down by culture" option I read somewhere, though this would involve python work and as you know I am not very good at that. I am happy to compile mini-lists (I've done two already for Grave and Rhye), which have three or so names per category, but I presently don't have the time to find 20 names per type for each civ.

There are some options. One would be "list sharing" (which would piss some people off, but it's an option - i.e. Germany + Austria, Russia + Ukraine).

The "pool" option would work fine, I think. As long as you had 1-3 people from a specific civ, you could operate a pool. As long as there were a couple Togolese, the rest could share with Mali (and maybe Nigeria). The Maghreb and Nubians could share with Egypt, the Arabs with Yemen and...?

It's not ideal, but its workable.

I just had a random thought (don't know how this might be received by everybody). Suppose we had a list with only a few names (e.g., Togolese names). Perhaps we could implement a check to see if another civ (in this case, say Mali) is in the game, and if they're not then the 1st civ could also use those names after it's exhausted its own. That way the Nubians could use Egyptian names if they run out and if Egypt is not already in. Is this what you were thinking already?

Pretty much. Although if Egypt is playing and Nubia is playing, it narrows the list for Nubians.

However, we could have a mass common pool derived of 1) nations not included (although for Gold, that would be a short list ;)), or 2) people who are superfluous to other nations.

A few people were interested in seeing my new list for 2001 Great People, so here it is. There might be just a few more names in the list than are actually in the mod (I've added a few since I posted it), but 99% of them are in there.
Heh. The list is so long the forum won't let me post it. I'll have to break it into two parts.

Part 1:

EDIT: Old list removed due to obsolescence.

Well Done...The name I was glad you added was Thomas More for England...If you are looking for another GP for England, don't forget about John Fisher.

Good Job, G.O.!

Don't worry; I have no intention of stopping now. When this is done, there'll probably be as many as 3,000 names!

(Hooray! Post 100!)

Don't worry; I have no intention of stopping now. When this is done, there'll probably be as many as 3,000 names!

(Hooray! Post 100!)

Well, I'd love to add this to CIV Gold, and I'd love to consider those civs. I wouldn't ask you to take on so much extra effort without some help. Maybe there is a way to do it in a "minimalist" fashion.

Here's a list for Portugal:

Portugal

GP: João Ferreira Annes de Almeida, António Andrade (may want to use him in Tibet), António Vieira, Baruch Spinoza, Damião de Góis, Uriel da Costa

GA: Nuno Gonçalves, Vasco Fernandes, António Soares dos Reis, Manuel Pereira da Silva, Luís António Verney, Francisco de Sá de Miranda, Diogo Barbosa Machado

GS: Pedro Nunes, Garcia de Orta, Anthony of Padua, Enricho Swarez, Egas Moniz, Orlando Ribeiro, Bento de Jesus Caraça, Diogo do Couto

GE: Bartolomeu de Gusmão, Tomás Taveira, José Tribolet, Eduardo Souto de Moura, Edgar Cardoso, Álvaro Siza Vieira

GM: Vasco da Gama, Magellan, Dias, Gaspar de Lemos, Pedro Fernandes de Queiroz, Alfredo da Silva, Fausto Figueiredo, Ricardo Espírito Santo Silva, Salvador Caetano

GG: Viriato, Afonso, Dinis, Cabral, Cabrillo, Tristão da Cunha,

Why is Cornwallis an English Great General? I'd barely heard of him before I looked him up on wikipedia, and his record hardly seems "great" in being defeated by the Americans.

Also, which Edward is "Edward"?

I don't blame Cornwallis for England's defeat by the Americans. If any military general was to blame, it was Peter Clinton. But generally putting down the colonial revolution was an impossible task once the world wide war with France began. Plus there were the general difficulties of trying to occupy a huge landmass thousands of miles away by sea.

I'll also note that Cornwallis's only military defeat prior to the French joining the war was a sneak attack in the middle of the night on Christmas Day. :lol: He was a very competent general.

That said, I'll admit quite a number of his victories were pyrrhic and the guy probably doesn't deserve to be a "great" general.

That said, I'll admit quite a number of his victories were pyrrhic and the guy probably doesn't deserve to be a "great" general.

:D I suppose this begs the question, if his victories were pyrrhic, does Pyrrhus then deserve to be in? :)

Actually, this is a simple case of my copying-and-pasting names from Civ 3. I kept "Edward" as a general name because of the various Edwards that ruled England--he's basically whoever you want him to be, though I imagine the one they (and I) had in mind was Edward I.

These are the military great leaders from Civ 3:
Edward, Boudicea, Nelson, Wallace, Cornwallis, Clinton, Wellington

Thanks ! This mod will be very helpful with a feature I want to introduce in the mod I'm working on :goodjob:

Hmmm I see three offending for Poles incorrectnesses here:
Nicolaus Copernicus is latin form of Mikołaj Kopernik, cite from http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9105759/Nicolaus-Copernicus "Polish astronomer who proposed that the planets have the Sun as the fixed point to which their motions are to be referred"
Joseph Conrad - it is an artistic nick, his real name was Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
Marie Curie - she gained French citizenship, but never gave up Polish roots. She was Polish scientist who married Frenchman (Pierre Curie) and moved from Warsaw to Paris. Her real name was Maria Skłodowska-Curie, she even named the element she discovered - polonium after her native country.

Top Bottom