Unit Request Thread 3

Thanks Civinator! Haven't been on these forums for 10+ years and I'm relearning how to navigate and search them since all the updates to the site. Didn't realize, I could use the search function in a specific category of the units page!
"Welcome back, my friend, to the show that never ends!"

- :Dz

Has anyone done the modern age AMX International AMX attack aircraft yet? It's also called the A-11 Ghibli by the Italians and A-1 by the Brazilians.

Is there any Naval Gun submarine units like the Surcouf in the Civ 3 unit database?
1671341963245.png

TopGun seems to have made many units that are no longer there.

The F3H Demon would be something that no one seems to have done. Shame it's gone along with many other things. I can't find them on his resource list. It's only a fraction of what's in that thread.

Not exactly a request, because I hope it is made and is lying somewhere. Do we have a Napoleonic era Swiss Guard unit? Perhaps somewhere in Sandris Napoleonic unit pack?

TopGun seems to have made many units that are no longer there.

The F3H Demon would be something that no one seems to have done. Shame it's gone along with many other things. I can't find them on his resource list. It's only a fraction of what's in that thread.
TopGun was innocently working with another member who was illicitly using other people's legally protected models, so these had to be taken down.

There seems to be a need for steam+sail powered ships of the line. Paddle and screw frigates/sloops/corvettes are common. But between age of sail SOTL and the broadside ironclads there were wooden steam SOTLs like HMS Duke of Wellington or the Napoleon class.

Sadly no steam SOTL there.

Fast Attack Crafts and Missile Boats could use some more units too. Currently for modern age we only have Wyrm's russian gunboat and a missile "scud boat" that unfortunately doesn't blend in very well in game. I'm using stock game's "Aegis Cruiser" for the final upgrade of that unit line. That thing is just too stubby in proportion to be taken as a guided missile cruiser.

Last edited:
By "Steam SOTL" can you be more precise, perhaps helping with examples from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...y#Ships_converted_to_steam_ships-of-the-line? I'm not certain where/how you're going from "there" to HERE.
I'm not sure how I could be more precise than I already was. I already gave examples like the Napoleon class. All I see is screw frigates and corvettes/sloops. These are not Steam SOTLs, which have multiple gun decks, no ironcladding and screw steam propulsion.

Last edited:
Last edited:
:think: I see your point now ... Some (approximate) "placeholder" thoughts:
  1. The Trident, take 2
  2. Clipper
  3. Clipper - Civ colors
... Yup, no Steam - but I did say, "placeholder." :dunno:

Perhaps @timerover51 might know something we don't.
The issue is that you have a very limited number of steam and sail ships of the line. The British and the French built a few, but the experiences of the Crimean War pushed France to switch from building steam and sail ships of the line to steam and sail wooden-hulled ironclads. The British took several uncompleted steam and sail ships and also converted them to wooden-hulled ironclads to keep up with the French. You are looking at about a 15 year window for these ships to be built, from roughly 1840 to 1855. To build them first required the conversion to screw propulsion which was slow at the start. Then the U.S. was building the big Merrimac-class steam frigates that with their gun batteries were on pare with a ship of the line.

You did have some Austrian steam and sail ships of the line join the fight at the Battle of Lissa in 1866, but they were badly shot up, and only survived because of poor Italian gunnery. Tegetthoff only included them because he was short of ships.

Correction: There was only one Austrian steam ship of the line at Lissa. The account on Wikipedia of the battle is reasonably accurate.

Last edited:
The issue is that you have a very limited number of steam and sail ships of the line. The British and the French built a few, but the experiences of the Crimean War pushed France to switch from building steam and sail ships of the line to steam and sail wooden-hulled ironclads. The British took several uncompleted steam and sail ships and also converted them to wooden-hulled ironclads to keep up with the French. You are looking at about a 15 year window for these ships to be built, from roughly 1840 to 1855. To build them first required the conversion to screw propulsion which was slow at the start. Then the U.S. was building the big Merrimac-class steam frigates that with their gun batteries were on pare with a ship of the line.

You did have some Austrian steam and sail ships of the line join the fight at the Battle of Lissa in 1866, but they were badly shot up, and only survived because of poor Italian gunnery. Tegetthoff only included them because he was short of ships.

Correction: There was only one Austrian steam ship of the line at Lissa. The account on Wikipedia of the battle is reasonably accurate.
Thank you, my friend :) You are, as ever, truly, a Gentleman & a Scholar.

(@Predator145 - I'm just making certain that you see this; no one here knows more about every aspect of naval history than @timerover51.)

I would like to request an F-16 (preferably from 80's era, not later) painted in black without national marking. Something like this CIA chopper but F-16.

Attachments

• Screen_200108_133103.jpg
    Screen_200108_133103.jpg
    571.4 KB · Views: 20
Top Bottom