Unsure if your Mac will run Civ5? Read this

I don't see it as very difficult to simply add a few more strings to the "white list" of approved graphics cards.

Given that Aspyr only put out updates very infrequently (maybe in part due to the problems they seem to have getting them past Apple's AppStore approvals), I can see how they *would* bundle such a change into the Fall Patch version.

I don't see it as very difficult to simply add a few more strings to the "white list" of approved graphics cards.

Sure, if that was all that they did... But then what to make of all the performance issue complaints from people with unsupported hardware?

I'm not sure I understand your point. I took it from your comment, "There were no warnings, even though I only have the integrated (ATI Radeon HD 2400) video card.", that you were surprised not to see warnings about minimum hardware. Are you saying that the Fall patch has genuinely improved Civ5 performance on older hardware?

Are you saying that the Fall patch has genuinely improved Civ5 performance on older hardware?

Yes! That is my premise. I can’t be sure, because I never bothered with Civ V before now, but the game sure seems to run fine to me! My iMac is a couple years older than most of the models used by people reporting severe problems (much) earlier in this thread.

The Fall Patch notes “Many performance optimizations specifically targeted to Ultrabooks with Intel Core processors with HD Graphics.” Could it be that us Mac users were accidently thrown a bone?

If anyone here gave up on Civ V before the Fall Patch because of performance issues, I would encourage you to try again, and report back to this thread. This only applies to the Steam version for now (since the iTunes App Store edition has still not been updated).

"Yes! That is my premise. I can’t be sure, because I never bothered with Civ V before now". Hmm.

"Could it be that us Mac users were accidently thrown a bone?" Mebbe - much more likely than the hypothesis that Aspyr did anything significant, and then didn't mention it.

I have a 4 year old iMac, 2GB RAM, can't remember the processor, but it's the 24" machine. It runs G&K OK with all the effects turned down, but I do actually have FoW, I did just have blackness, but hated the effect.

Something that is noticable however is that things like my browser slows right down if I cmd/tab out of Civ. I'm running with all DLC.

I'm seriously considering one of the new slimline iMacs as an upgrade, or maybe a MBP, depending on the financial manager on the warm side of the bed :lol:

2GBytes RAM is probably the limiting factor when you try to run Civ5 and Safari at the same time.

2GBytes RAM is probably the limiting factor when you try to run Civ5 and Safari at the same time.

I would agree. I can run Civ 5 and tab out and do other stuff fine on almost 4-year-old hardware, but, I do have 6 GB of RAM, and an i7-equivalent processor. 2 GB is a bit small these days.

Anyone want to throw an opinion out there as to whether Civ5 will run on the latest MacBook Air refresh?

Why wouldn't it? If it doesn't, I suspect Aspyr might want to make it so. It's a current title, and they are probably still making good revenues from it from online sales.

Why wouldn't it? If it doesn't, I suspect Aspyr might want to make it so. It's a current title, and they are probably still making good revenues from it from online sales.

Intel integrated graphics. But it's 2013 and the chipset has been refreshed so I figure it has to be more powerful. Maybe powerful enough to run Civ5?

There is already no problem with the latest Macs with integrated Intel graphics. As I understand it, Intel has finally got its graphics act together.

I have a mac mini quad-core i7 with the integrated Intel HD 4000. But it's only 2.3 GHz, and maybe that's my problem, but it runs slow. On a large map with 12 city-states and 8 total players (6 AI), it gets very slow.

Hi!

I've got an early 2011 MacBook Pro 15" 2,3GHz i7 4Gb 1333MHz DDR3 w/ Intel HD Graphics 3000 384MB. Great machine, but aging.

I'm considering buying the new MacBook Pro 15" w/ AMD Radeon R9 M370X. What can I expect in terms of performance improvements? And when Civ6 is out (assuming it'll happen sooner rather than later), is it possible to have any performance expectations?

Love to hear from you guys! You've been very helpful before, and you know a lot more than I do;)

Hi!

I've got an early 2011 MacBook Pro 15" 2,3GHz i7 4Gb 1333MHz DDR3 w/ Intel HD Graphics 3000 384MB. Great machine, but aging.

I'm considering buying the new MacBook Pro 15" w/ AMD Radeon R9 M370X. What can I expect in terms of performance improvements? And when Civ6 is out (assuming it'll happen sooner rather than later), is it possible to have any performance expectations?

Love to hear from you guys! You've been very helpful before, and you know a lot more than I do;)

I run Civ V Gods & Kings on a MID-2012 MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz i7/8GB/1600 MHz DDR3/Nvidia GeForce GT 650 M. It also has a 256MB SSD to speed things up. Everything runs fine, with only a little slowdown towards the end of a game. So anything you buy today will work fine, especially if you opt for a SSD. My only complaint is that Civ games make it run hot. Don't know why--they're less graphics intensive than other games I've played.

I have a 2013 Macbook Pro, 16gm of ram, 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB and my CPU usage goes through the roof. Close to 200%.

Even plugged in, my battery drains. Any ideas?

Are you talking V or VI? You should not be having trouble with V. With V, you should be able to reset the graphic options. Game is still beautiful.

Civ5. yeah I thought it was weird too I was having issues. I've reset PRAM, SMC and using the default graphics. Still happening.

Top Bottom