V2.5 Beta Testing

Yeah, I completely agree with attaching the army leader hero to some unit. This may be hard technically though. Too bad the Civ4 engine do not allow two unit attach to one unit entity.

BTW, the leader hero's core unit promotion is supposed to pass along to the army 'guardian', which is the first selected member hero's core troop. Doesn't it work this way?

I'll have to check more closely to give you a conclusive answer.

The AI isn't defending his cities properly. I got 3 cities with no defenders, or only heroes + workers.

BTW, the leader hero's core unit promotion is supposed to pass along to the army 'guardian', which is the first selected member hero's core troop. Doesn't it work this way?

I can confirm that the Army Guardian unit is not recieving the Core Promotions of the Army General, weakening the whole system quite a bit.

As for city defense, I noticed that the AI doesn't garrison it's cities much at all. That can however be attributed to their complete lack of units! In my most recent Gongsun Zan game, Yuan Shao quite literally sent ALL his units at me. Though it made initial survival difficult, it allowed me to counterattack with ease. Now Zhao Yun is an unstoppable monster. (Not really, don't even think of nerfing Smart!)

This save consistently crashes upon new turn. I don't know why.

Edit: Unhandled exception at 0x022e3f80 in Civ4BeyondSword.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000180. Occurs in CvGameCoreDLL.dll.

Attachments

• Vince SanGuo.CivBeyondSwordSave
    183.9 KB · Views: 233
@Ambreville

Have you checked the 'prisoners' panel in hero advisor screen?

Ahhh, yes... check the prison cell. I had forgotten about the sinister, dark place. Well, it was -- how shall I say -- crowded. One prisoner complained when I came by about others pushing in the back. Others groused that the place smelled, the food was dreadful, the guards were rude, the roof leaked, and the whole thing was a total disgrace. The ever-growing steamy pile in the corner and its buzzing flies didn't help. Two were trying to dig out an escape tunnel, while another found a way to hang from the ceiling.

I persuaded a handful of hirsute and bleary-eyed heroes to join my cause, and they agreed it was their destiny. The others looked at me funny. They didn't seem very trustworthy. I debated quietly whether to execute the obnoxious bunch, but I didn't see the point. Perhaps if there had been some benefit doing so, or an even greater benefit releasing them, I would have considered the options. But without seeing an advantage for either, I shrugged, closed the door, and let them stew in their own... well, you know what.

Unfortunately, the world came to an end when I attempted to finish the turn. The great CTD god acted up, and magically transported me to Desktop heaven. "How strange," I thought. "This had never happened to me before." Oh well. I did return a few more times, but the great Celestial Thundering Dragon still didn't relent. The world had really come an end, and that was that.

Attachments

• Cao Cao AD-0208-Late March.CivBeyondSwordSave
    589.7 KB · Views: 180
Just realize that you're still in beta limbo, so this is not the real world. The CTD nightmare will end eventually. :D

@Ambreville

Good story. The benefit of execution is this: all your unit get +20% temporary strength. The other faction will hate you for this of course. But they will hate you more if you persuaded their hero, so it's actually a bonus in disguise. The benefit of release is you got some slight relation boost to the other faction. You release 2 heroes, receive +1 relation. All these boosts and penalties are 'memories' which will fade over time.

@Ambreville

Good story. The benefit of execution is this: all your unit get +20% temporary strength. The other faction will hate you for this of course. But they will hate you more if you persuaded their hero, so it's actually a bonus in disguise. The benefit of release is you got some slight relation boost to the other faction. You release 2 heroes, receive +1 relation. All these boosts and penalties are 'memories' which will fade over time.

Okay, makes sense. Thanks. It would be nice if that information was visible on the prisoner screen. By the way, any interest in allowing the two parties (the captor and the former owner) to "trade" prisoners or pay ransom to recover a captured hero?

Ah, yes, you already can trade heroes with other faction. Just through normal diplomacy.

Really!? Dang, I missed this entirely.

One note about the previous post. Releasing a hero when his original faction has been destroyed doesn't seem useful at all. Couldn't there be something else then?

What does the belief of a hero, and its strength rating, actually do? Does it give some loyalty bonus to a master with the same philosophy?

Uploaded beta 5, download it in the first post, this time we put some leaderhead in it, so size is bigger, and require 7-zip to upzip it.

changelist:

0.300: fix: fix CTD when dismissing Army with only one unit
fix a bug that a 100 loyalty hero surrender to enemy
fix a bug that Army Guardian doesn't receive core troop promotions of leader hero
fix a BTS bug which causes CTD when a unit has -30% innate city attack penalty and -35% extra city attack penalty
fix a bug that unit who has Strong Promotion still take damage in combat
fix a CTD when an AI unit tries to ranged bombard friendly plot's improvement
restores missing Fort art
fix a python exception in screen that display GDP and the such
art: random leaders now have leaderhead that retains the corret length-width ratio
rule tweak: Qiang Cavalry now starts with Cavalry promotion as well
interface: added alert message when a captured hero is willing to surrender

@Ambreville

Why would you want to release a hero with no faction? He would be willing to surrender in that case also.

Loyalty has a big impact on weather the hero would like to surrender to you. Belief at this time only works when recruiting the hero.

@Raize

Concerning your save game, the bugs in it is pretty 'good', do you still have some autosaves for it?

Uploaded beta 5, download it in the first post, this time we put some leaderhead in it, so size is bigger, and require 7-zip to upzip it.

changelist:

fix a bug that Army Guardian doesn't receive core troop promotions of leader hero
fix a BTS bug which causes CTD when a unit has -30% innate city attack penalty and -35% extra city attack penalty
art: random leaders now have leaderhead that retains the corret length-width ratio

Thanks for that!

@Ambreville

Why would you want to release a hero with no faction?

Precisely. One could indeed wonder about that if the release button isn't grayed out as the result of the previous faction being destroyed -- thus my asking.

He would be willing to surrender in that case also.

Loyalty has a big impact on weather the hero would like to surrender to you. Belief at this time only works when recruiting the hero.

Alright, thanks for the update. The explanation was helpful. Wish this information was plainly visible on the prisoner screen itself. It would have prevented much of this discussion.

Stmartin, thanks for the update. Did you fix the bug where if your hero was captured and you destroy the faction that's holding him captive, he is still imprisoned and you have no way to release them? (Just asking because not everybody has Sun Quan's might and escape)

changelist:

Nice! Going to play right now :)

Btw, any idea when you will release the source code again? Or maybe I'm blind and it's already there...? Being a modder, I would really like to read the code of HotTK :)

Oh, a bug I noticed. Even if the hero has all his combat levels maxed out, he can still take the "Leadership" promotion - in effect wasting a promotion. Can you put in a check so that this promotion is disabled if he's already maxed out?

CTD when Liu Chong (me) erases Yuan Shu from the history books...oh when can I play a proper game without crashes?:cry:

A bug from beta 4 that I didn't have time to report, it may or may not be fixed by now, but sometimes when a leader hero dies, the leader does not change. (ex Zhang Yang dies after being captured, but still is the leader of his faction). It didn't happen all the time though.

Top Bottom