Vassal System Overhaul

What about the ability to enforce vassalage, if the AI is weak enough?

Maybe something like:

If they have less than a quarter of your military score, you can consume a great general to immediately make them your vassal.

What about the ability to enforce vassalage, if the AI is weak enough?

Maybe something like:

If they have less than a quarter of your military score, you can consume a great general to immediately make them your vassal.

That's extraordinarily expensive. Perhaps the target civilization should take into account Productivity in addition to Power.
It would make sense for a leader to weigh a decision based on whether they know they can win a war of attrition or not.

Oh, that reminds me that I kind of wanted to include additional GP actions.

That's extraordinarily expensive. Perhaps the target civilization should take into account Productivity in addition to Power.
It would make sense for a leader to weigh a decision based on whether they know they can win a war of attrition or not.

Maybe you can consume a general to get 3-4 "governors", which have the ability to enforce vassalage.

This would give great generals more options, allows for easier vassals, and is probably more balanced.

Maybe you can consume a general to get 3-4 "governors", which have the ability to enforce vassalage.

This would give great generals more options, allows for easier vassals, and is probably more balanced.

I like this idea much better.

It gives me the idea that Great Generals can be invisible like Spies and can be expended in an enemy city to grant a fixed number of war successes against the target, much like how the old Great Artist gave +4000 Culture flat.

Oh, that reminds me that I kind of wanted to include additional GP actions.
Yes, GS is a bit useless now so he could be boosted a bit up.

Anyway would it be the best way to approach this matter by posting saves where AI refuses vassallization despite it would be beneficial.

Some ideas what would make AI more willing to become a vassal:

- tech difference, more techs you have the better
- higher score the better, ai should use this like tech difference to become under your "umbrella" and try to milk some benefits like techs and resources
- distance from border and capital, currently it makes a little sense that civs apart globe becomes each others vassal. Inca specially often have complitely bizzare masters
- number of cities should not matter but less cities civ has more willing it should become a vassal
- direct opinion, there also should be an option "become vassal or war!"
- and most important is military strenght, are you in war and military strenght inside civs border. Like if you have more military strenght inside your targets border AI should understand it should surrender and not to be destroyed

I have just committed some changes that affect vassals, please report back how the game has changed now.

I don't think so. Aquiring a vassal increases greatly your influence in the world, so it quite fair.

Explain what you mean by "influence".

Because if you think the primary purpose of keeping vassals is to "gain influence",
I'm pretty you just might be playing the game outright wrong.

Otherwise, no, it is not "quite fair".

One possible change that I'd like is the ability to release vassals. That's something that's annoyed me ever since vassals we're introduced in Warlords.

One possible change that I'd like is the ability to release vassals. That's something that's annoyed me ever since vassals we're introduced in Warlords.

There is one way to do it, but it's never worked for me in DoC.

If you demand tribute too many times from a vassal, they will break off and revolt against you.
However, every time I've tried it in DoC, the vassals don't break away and DoW you, rather, they just get angrier and angrier.

Top Bottom