Version 4.1 Discussion Thread

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=515081

Heres a list of things I changed about kmod. Its more a balancing of Unique units, unique buildings, civ traits, underused units like the grenadier, while lowering overly negative things like overpriced upgrade costs and excessive anarchy turns.

I even took a look at werid tech costs around rifling which are very poorly valued imo. (Big complaint for me is that muskets show up and disappear into rifles, way too quickly).

Though you might review it and give your opinion or possibly use some of the ideas in there in your own mod. Good luck!

Sorry for slow input. RL gets in the way even for an :old: retiree.

JosEPh ;)

Just a quick status update: I'm still working on fixing the lag. At this point it's looking like I probably WILL end up just reverting to the vanilla PlotGroup code, and scrap the river link fix in the process... sigh.

I've also made a few more minor improvements in general. I'll probably release a 4.1b patch in another week or so, but we'll see.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAH hahahaha...

I FIXED THE LAG!!! And I didn't even have to give up my awesome river trade link fix, which was working fine all along!

Mwa ha ha. *ahem* I'm going to post the 4.1b patch very soon now, so you guys won't have to suffer much longer. I'm just working on a few final tweaks and minor fixes, in-between marathon sessions playing my current game with my friend...

It won't break 4.1a saves either. :)

How's it going?

JosEPh :)

If this mod is still in development (The last post in this thread being from four months ago makes me nervous) may I suggest allowing the adjusting of the interface additions in BUG Options? :)
Being able to disable the automated messages anytime something happens to a city for example would be nice. (Think they're called CivAlerts?)

Similarly, being able to disable the unit Auto-Naming and the Smilies in the Scoreboard.

If this mod is still in development (The last post in this thread being from four months ago makes me nervous)

I've been poofing for long periods of time a lot the last couple years, but I'll never disappear completely. Most recently I've been busy with the Diablo 3 expansion. I was actually planning to get back here soon though. (And the next big thing on my radar (MGO3 in MGS5) isn't out for a year still if you believe the recently-leaked info, so you may even have me for a while. :))

may I suggest allowing the adjusting of the interface additions in BUG Options? :)
Being able to disable the automated messages anytime something happens to a city for example would be nice. (Think they're called CivAlerts?)

Similarly, being able to disable the unit Auto-Naming and the Smilies in the Scoreboard.

I kind of just integrated the features I liked, directly into the code over time as I noticed them. So it's not really a direct BUG incorporation.

It's been a while since I've played Civ4 so I'll have to check about the city messages. I understand your unit naming concern but I do like it the way it is, heh. But why on Earth wouldn't you want the awesome Scoreboard smilies?! ... Sigh. :p

I'll definitely consider adding some flexibility on these things, but bugfixes and updates are more important and, as usual, I'm long overdue getting those out to you guys...

(The good news is, the longer I make you wait, the more time Karadoc has to work on his AI code, heh.)

Patch 4.1b still a wip?

JosEPh

Patch 4.1b still a wip?

Oh, 4.1b has been 99% done for a while now, I was just waiting to add the AI updates so I could call it version 4.2, and then never got around to doing anything. Sorry about that. Lemme take a look and see what's left...

I kind of just integrated the features I liked, directly into the code over time as I noticed them. So it's not really a direct BUG incorporation.

It's been a while since I've played Civ4 so I'll have to check about the city messages. I understand your unit naming concern but I do like it the way it is, heh. But why on Earth wouldn't you want the awesome Scoreboard smilies?! ... Sigh. :p

I'll definitely consider adding some flexibility on these things, but bugfixes and updates are more important and, as usual, I'm long overdue getting those out to you guys...

(The good news is, the longer I make you wait, the more time Karadoc has to work on his AI code, heh.)

I guess I'm just used to A New Dawn and Caveman 2 Cosmos where you can tweak the scoreboard, display, and whatnot ^^
They don't affect gameplay in anyway so it's not exactly important, but I usually disable the Scoreboard Smilies and Auto-Naming when I play. They're not really that bad though, but being able to customize them would be nice. Like how units are auto-named and whatnot.

I was recently playing a game on a Team Battleground map, that spawned a large strip of desert dividing the top and bottom of the map... I couldn't help but stick a Sandworm in the middle of it and watch it rampage about eating anyone that was foolish enough to cross when it was nearby. Was pretty amusing actually - I had some spies standing watch on hills so I could know when to send my army and missionaries across, and when the worm was nearby and thus not safe to pass.

Right now my only major thought is that the game lags horribly when founding or capturing a city, but other than that it's plenty of fun. The BUG aspects not being customizable or togglable is just a minor point and nothing really worth worrying about - it's just my being difficult adjusting to new things :p

Right now my only major thought is that the game lags horribly when founding or capturing a city, but other than that it's plenty of fun.

Thank you for the compliment! I always love to have new fans of the mod, especially ones that will post on here occasionally. :D (This subforum being so quiet tends to sap my enthusiasm for making updates, heh.)

If you read back over this thread you'll see the lag issue discussed. See Post #85 on Dec 8, on this page, in particular. :) I was WELL aware of it, believe me, heh. I was going to release the fix, along with some other updates, as version 4.1b, but then got sidetracked.

(For a while I had assumed the lag was from my fancy river pathing fix in 4.1, but it turned out to be completely unrelated, which was awesome b/c it meant I didn't have to scrap the big river update. It was, in fact, the result of an isolated change I had made earlier, which seemed harmless at the time, to make commerce and trade route stuff update immediately whenever a city is modified, instead of only at the end of each turn like it normally does. It had gotten lost in my patch notes and I had forgotten I'd even done it, which is why it took so long to find the problem, heh. And because cities can change state many times during a turnover with lots of players at war in a big-map game, it was actually making many TURNOVERS take way longer than they should, as well.)

Anywho, version 4.2 is officially in active development now. I'm hoping to get it done and posted in the next 2 to 3 weeks, so I don't want to waste time with an official 4.1b patch at this point, since that would take some time to put together and 4.2 is not going to be save-game-compatible anyway.

(This subforum being so quiet tends to sap my enthusiasm for making updates, heh.)

Thats because you wont let others know what your coding, and alot of Civ IV personnel dont like that:sad:. ie showing your source code and naming it so everyone knows what is going on, IMPO.
Heck even in C2C, WE put the coding in so everyone can see it.:p

Thank you for the compliment! I always love to have new fans of the mod, especially ones that will post on here occasionally. :D (This subforum being so quiet tends to sap my enthusiasm for making updates, heh.)

I actually follow your subforum quite regularly, but honestly your long repeated (and sudden) absence make me think each time that you left it for good :sad:
Can't wait for the new version cause your Mod has unique feathures I truly love :D
Thanks for showing back :)

Can't wait for the new version cause your Mod has unique feathures I truly love :D
Thanks for showing back :)

All it needs is some dinosaurs in the prehistoric and we're set :goodjob:

Just kidding though. ^^ I am fairly disappointed that Civilization scenarios has been fairly dinosaur-less since Civilization II's Fantastic Worlds and that one scenario in Civilization III, but it's not at the top of my wishlist or anything. I have seen a few dinos in a couple mods though. "Multiverse" had a tyranno and a "Velociraptor", but the Tyranno only came in at the end of the game and the velociraptor? Heh, didn't much look like one. It wandered around for the first bit of the game then vanished as most animals do. Neither model was all that nice looking, but it's better than nothing no?

Setting that aside, the mod's pretty fun and I do check in the forum every now and then. I had thought it was an abandoned project for a while D:

I still check here from time to time. Was waiting for 4.1b but will instead wait for 4.2. :)

Be happy, live long and prosper, God bless.

JosEPh

good to see LM is back at this again. really liked 4.1 but the slow down issue was a killer so stopped playing. looking forward to whatever bug-fix release comes out.:thumbsup:

Same here, still check this forum, glad to see LM back, and am also looking forward to playing the updated version of this mod.

Thanks for the support, (almost-)everyone! I guess there's still at least a few people worth continuing development for. ;)

Quick update: I'm working on it. lol.

Actually I've gotten a lot done the last week, and a lot of miscellaneous stuff was already done from 4.1b, so it's looking pretty spiffy at the moment. I'm down to just a few more random things, and then the big K-Mod AI code merge. Current ETA is 1 to 5 weeks, but most likely 2 to 3 weeks heh.

Oh btw, when testing something unrelated the other day, I discovered the mod was crashing on the first turn every time. It took several hours but I finally found the problem... Some 4.1b code I wrote last Dec 6 had a divide-by-zero situation for players with no cities yet. But I wrote that code DURING my 4.1b game with my friend, so I didn't know anything was wrong. Which means, if I HAD released 4.1b publically like I was planning to, it would've needed an immediate patch to fix the crashing. So it's just as well I DIDN'T release it, lol.

I'm jealous, I wish I had your skill set. But alas this :old: is well past learning c++ and Python, etc.. So my pet project KROME in the RoM subforums sits gathering dust.

Looking forward to the future progress here.

JosEPh :)

Top Bottom