Victory in 100 Turns After Independence?

BandC

Chieftain
So I just finished my first Civ4Col game (Explorer level, no mods) as New France. I declared independence in 1791 (one year before the deadline) and the 100 turn counter started. The King promptly took my main city but for some reason didn't land any other units to attack my other cites (he couldn't just walk his units over because Spain's borders cut mine into two at a choke point. So I'm thinking I'll just win this game and suddenly Spain wins an independence victory. I was really surprised so I watched the replay and saw that Spain declared independence long after me but won the game 14 turns later. How is that possible? Don't the other nations also have a 100 turn count?

That 100 year counter is the maximum time allowed to win the game. If you defeat the King's forces within that time you win the game. If the game is still running when the counter reaches zero - the King wins.

The same applies to the other Europeans. If they declare Independence they also have 100 turns to defeat their King. If they do so before you (as in this case) then they win the game. Also it is not enough to just declare independence before they do (as was the case in the original game). If the REF that they are fighting is small they can well declare after you but still win.

Note that you can defeat the King's forces in two ways. Either by killing all the soldiers/dragoons/artillery in the REF (but not the warships) or by destroying all the warships and any landed troops. Even if the King still has troops left in Europe he has no way of shipping them to America.

Thanks. I misunderstood how the counter works. I thought you had to resist the King's waves of armies for 100 turns to win. I didn't realize it was the opposite and there was a single REF to destroy.

I just realized something. Spain had declared independence much much later than me which means they did so much later than 300th turn. Aren't AIs bound by the same rules (must declare before 300th turn) as the player?

Pardon my ignorance but why is this 100 turn game finish limit after declaring Independence at all in the game? Can this be switched off in game? To me this seems stupid and pointless and does not reflect "real life". Where a struggle for Independence (fight with the King) can go on sometimes infinite. I know, this is only a game but....

I still can not reach the stage where I could declare Independence and I still like to find out how to either accelerate or even only progress further with my resentment points. I don't mean my colonies sentiment for Independence, these are all 100%.

Hence I dig through this forum to see if I can get any pointers.

Cheers

VinnyBarb

Pardon my ignorance but why is this 100 turn game finish limit after declaring Independence at all in the game? Can this be switched off in game? To me this seems stupid and pointless and does not reflect "real life". Where a struggle for Independence (fight with the King) can go on sometimes infinite. I know, this is only a game but....

I still can not reach the stage where I could declare Independence and I still like to find out how to either accelerate or even only progress further with my resentment points. I don't mean my colonies sentiment for Independence, these are all 100%.

Hence I dig through this forum to see if I can get any pointers.

Cheers

VinnyBarb

I think somethings are getting confused - or I am confused :p

Dalgo is the resident expert around here, so I defer to him, but there are two things going on in the game - there is a limit to win the game - depending on the length of the game selected - the 'normal' is 300 turns. By adjusting the 'speed' of the game, you can get up to 900-1000 turns (I forget the maximum on marathon or some such). The second is to win before the other guy.

The documentation on this game pretty much sucks or it is so vague as to be meaningless. There are three victory condititions but I can't figure out how they work, except Independence, when seems straight foward to me.

To win by independence, you must declare and win before your turn count runs out and you must do so before the another colony wins. It doesn't matter when you declare independence so long as you can defeat the king 1) before the turn count runs out and 2) before anyone else does.

To my way of thinking, problem #2 is solved by eliminating all the other Civs. They are easy pickings anyways, so they never last long in my games, even if I leave them alone for a while and let them grow for 100 turns. One interesting thing I never thought about - if a Civ declare independence, can't you declare against them and help the king kill them, thus ending their bid for independence? What happens to all the 'captured' cities and REF units that are left standing around? Can you start a war with the other King's REF to take back the land? Might be worth exploring on a longer game with a huge map.

Problem #1 is to defeat the king before time runs out. There are a vareity of strategies to make this 'easy', but I like a balanced approach and a nice long fight at the end. So I ignore the REF build up while I am playing except to calculate about how long it take me to kill all the REF units when they land. Then I give myself a safe 'padding' of time and set my 'deadline' to declare.

As far as I know, there is nothing that gives you 100 turns to win after declaring independence. :confused: If the turn counter came up (it does start a count down when you are at 100 turns away from the end of the game), this was probably coincidence. But lets say you declare independence and you still have 150 turns left. A counter doesn't apear with a 100 turn count down - you have 150 turns to win the game. But if you declare and only have 50 turns left, then you only have 50 turns left. You don't get 100 more to get the job done.

Dalgo is the resident expert around here, so I defer to him, but there are two things going on in the game - there is a limit to win the game - depending on the length of the game selected - the 'normal' is 300 turns. By adjusting the 'speed' of the game, you can get up to 900-1000 turns (I forget the maximum on marathon or some such). The second is to win before the other guy.

Not so much an expert, just a long time player. I bought the game the day it came out in 2008 and have been playing it, on and off, ever since.

As far as I know, there is nothing that gives you 100 turns to win after declaring independence.

Yes there is a 100 turn independence limit, but only if you have the patch installed. The original game just had the 300 turn game limit so if you didn't declare until turn 280 then you only had 20 turns left to win. There were a lot of objections to this and the patch created a new checkpoint at the date you declare independence and you then have 100 turns from that date to win (normal game). There is no particular logic in the choice of 100 turns and no it doesn't reflect anything in real life, it is just an arbitrary number. I don't know how you could turn it off. In my games I very seldom take more than 20 turns to win after the DoI.

One interesting thing I never thought about - if a Civ declare independence, can't you declare against them and help the king kill them, thus ending their bid for independence?

Certainly you can and should use that as a tactic. I have lost a game because another European power declared independence before me and then went on to defeat his King in a ridiculously short time. I now make sure I fight at least one war against each other power during the game so they are too weak to declare independence, or at least have sufficient forces on hand to join the battle if they do.

Not so much an expert, just a long time player. I bought the game the day it came out in 2008 and have been playing it, on and off, ever since.
See - you are the resident expert! :worship: I though I had patched my game, but I guess this means I did not! :cry: Back to the drawing board!

Yes there is a 100 turn independence limit, but only if you have the patch installed. The original game just had the 300 turn game limit so if you didn't declare until turn 280 then you only had 20 turns left to win. There were a lot of objections to this and the patch created a new checkpoint at the date you declare independence and you then have 100 turns from that date to win (normal game). There is no particular logic in the choice of 100 turns and no it doesn't reflect anything in real life, it is just an arbitrary number. I don't know how you could turn it off. In my games I very seldom take more than 20 turns to win after the DoI.

This actually gives the game a different feel. Knowing you have 300 turns to get everything done requires balancing and planning - knowing you have a set 100 turns to win after declaration is like a security blanket. It just makes the game even easier, IMO.

Top Bottom