[TUTORIAL] Video Tutorials on Modding Civ4

Come check out my new videos on modding spotlights, starting with uploads from September!

@topsecret
Any idea what's wrong with this button? I didn't make it, came with the 'Modular Hungarian' Civ by Louis.

Attachments

• Hungary_CIV4ArtDefines_Building.xml
    725 bytes · Views: 4
  • Vegvar.zip
    54.7 KB · Views: 7
XML Code is wrong:
Code:
        <BuildingArtInfo>
            <Type>ART_DEF_BUILDING_VEGVAR</Type>
            <LSystem>LSYSTEM_3x3</LSystem>
            <bAnimated>0</bAnimated>
            <fScale>2.01</fScale>
            <fInterfaceScale>0.4</fInterfaceScale>
            <NIF>Modules/Hungary/Art/Vegvar/Vegvar.nif</NIF>
            <KFM/>
            <Button>Modules/Hungary/Art/Vegvar/OldOpera_Button</Button>
        </BuildingArtInfo>

Specifically, this part:
Code:
<Button>Modules/Hungary/Art/Vegvar/OldOpera_Button</Button>

The OldOpera part isn't actually the name of the file. The name is Vegvar_button.dds

Change it to:
Code:
<Button>Modules/Hungary/Art/Vegvar/Vegvar_button.dds</Button>

Specifically, what I would like to attempt is to remove Xerxes’ facial piercings, but keep his collar and bracelets.
We'll have to graduate to Blender for that to happen.
Hello again my friend. :D I hope you won't mind me necro-ing an old request... Because I've done graduated. :hatsoff:

Spoiler War Chief Alpha, say hello, and please remember to play nice this time :
War Chief Alpha.png

I don't want to slow down your Spotlight mojo, but if you ever have the time and motivation in the next couple~ few months, I would really appreciate a Black-Belt-but-still-a-bit-of-a-n00b episode of Overexplained on Leaderhead Blender Basics. I just want to learn how to add a helmet to a LH, basically.

I've got Blender 2.79, 2.49b, and 3.4 set up and purring. I've learned how to rig units (units plural, big reveal coming soon ;)). So I'm feeling my oats, but I also get kinda scared after I've waited 10 minutes for a LH to load in the blenderizer and I see this 😅

I am so scared right now.png

https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/lh-xerxes.13769/ cfkane made a lot of fantastic LHs. This is his version of Xerxes, who I'd like to repurpose to become...

Vision Board Eannatum.png

Eannatum the Great of Sumeria (c. 2500-2400 BC), a world-class conqueror and perhaps the world's first statesman, he attempted to unite the warring states of Sumer and Akkad into a single, cohesive nation.

As you can see above, I've converted a bright, shiny, historically accurate helmet for him from Humankind, it's quite simply bellissimo. 🤌

And if you or anyone else can help me, I've attached a zip of the converted helmet & cfkane's Xerxes, along with the vision board pics.

So please, dear friend, take pity on me, I'm an awful lot like Sam leaping into water when it comes to DIY blender manuals.

I'm glad you're with me.jpg

I'd like to learn:
1) How do I rig a helmet to a civ4 LH?

And if it's not too much to ask (I have no clue how big these other topics might be):
2) Since the helmet is a non-civ4 asset, how should I add new NiSourceTextures in Nifskope? How did you get the armors of your LotR LHs so spiffy? Sorry, that might be an extra video 😬🫣
3) How do I delete specific parts of a rigged mesh (e.g. I want to delete the Xerxes punkboi facial rings but maybe keep his mantle-thingy) and how can I still keep it rigged (or failing that, how do I rejig it in place)?

Thanks for considering this topsecret! I wouldn't have kept at it for this long or made it this far without all your help and encouragement! :king: :goodjob:

Attachments

• Project Eannatum.7z
    5.8 MB · Views: 4
If I remember how to do it, I'll be sure to get a tutorial of some sort. :lol:

In all seriousness, it's been a minute since I did the LHs and I don't remember everything, but I'm sure I can part of your questions answered at a minimum. I'm not sure when, so if you don't hear anything in the next week that I've begun to work on it, bump the thread and remind me. :D

Quick answers first, so I don't forget, and then hopefully video(s) to follow.

Recommended reading: https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/how-to-make-leaderheads-ekmeks-guide.12713/

1) How do I rig a helmet to a civ4 LH?
There's two ways. One is a hack, where you basically paste the helmet on the head bone like units. It doesn't work most of the time because of face bones.
The correct way is use edit mode to map vertices to specific bones. Video required unless you follow the text tutorials on here by better creators than I.

2) Since the helmet is a non-civ4 asset, how should I add new NiSourceTextures in Nifskope? How did you get the armors of your LotR LHs so spiffy? Sorry, that might be an extra video 😬🫣
The helmet needs a UV map, a 2d representation of the vertices and triangles, and then you can add a texture easily.
To actually add the texture is easy but requires a few prerequisites (UV Map and Some NIF technicalities) first.
3) How do I delete specific parts of a rigged mesh (e.g. I want to delete the Xerxes punkboi facial rings but maybe keep his mantle-thingy) and how can I still keep it rigged (or failing that, how do I rejig it in place)?
This part is easy: You just need to select the leader in Object Mode and then switch to Edit Mode. There you can delete individual nodes. You'll have to export the leader (and I can't remember if you need to NIF swap or not! I think so.) to use it.

I used more technical language on some things but if you're still stuck ask more specific questions and I'll answer ASAP. A video may take a more concerted effort so I'll see what I can do.

That tutorial by Ekmek is also how I learned LHs so it's definitely helpful (with trial and error.)

Oh great, thanks so much buddy, I really appreciate it. I've realized we're not currently in a heyday of civ4 modding where numerous people are eager to ask & answer questions about LHs and collaborate on creations (check out the 85-page thread for Ekmek's LH guide :wow:). So I don't take any words of wisdom or scraps of advice for granted. None of this stuff comes easy for me, and rather than putter around on my own and further delay my meteoric rise into the Spotlight, I want to seek help and close the gap as much as I can. Hopefully, if I can keep progressing, someday soon I'd like to be able to repay the favors. 🤝

:thanx:

Last edited:
Oh great, thanks so much buddy, I really appreciate it. I've realized we're not currently in a heyday of civ4 modding where numerous people are eager to ask & answer questions about LHs and collaborate on creations (check out the 85-page thread for Ekmek's LH guide :wow:). So I don't take any words of wisdom or scraps of advice for granted. None of this stuff comes easy for me, and rather than putter around on my own and further delay my meteoric rise into the Spotlight, I want to seek help and close the gap as much as I can. Hopefully, if I can keep progressing, someday soon I'd like to be able to repay the favors. 🤝

:thanx:
Well hopefully videos help build interest!

You can probably help me as we get more new modders to answer simpler questions. That helps me concentrate on harder things like Leaders ;)

Well hopefully videos help build interest!
The videos are great! If enough fellow travelers gather at the same watering hole, maybe we can get some synergy going. 🙌

You can probably help me as we get more new modders to answer simpler questions. That helps me concentrate on harder things like Leaders ;)
The kohai to your senpai then. I can't chop thru blocks of wood,

Spoiler but I can run a pretty tight dojo ;) :
Dwight Schrute .jpeg

Query for everyone:

1. What types of modding videos would you like to see?

2. Would you enjoy interviews with current modders about their mods?

3. Would you enjoy videos of me playing mods?

Personally I think I’d enjoy all of the above ☝

I’ve always had trouble adding Legend units like in LoR. Maybe a short video on adding the Ottoman Sipahi, USS Enterprise (WWII), IJN Yamato (WWII), or any other cool units you have in mind :)

I’ve always had trouble adding Legend units like in LoR.
Hi Arizona15G, I can try to help you. But first I'd recommend in the future that if you have specific files that you want to modify (Sipahi etc), you should zip them with their xml (if you can find it) and post it. You'll be more likely to get help from other modders this way.

It sounds like you need to learn XML. If you're not using it already, I would recommend an xml program like Notepad++.

Please upload the Sipahi with its corresponding xml and then maybe topsecret or I can get back to you. :)

Thanks @tantanmen I appreciate it. :)

I will be working on videos next week I hope. I am sick this week and don't feel like much work. :D

Oh no, sorry you're sick topsecret. Same here, it's just that time of year I guess. Hope you can keep hydrated and get some rest.

And if tantanmen can't help, I'll try to next week. Right now I'm going to rest and maybe play some Civ. :)

Oh no, sorry you're sick topsecret. Same here, it's just that time of year I guess. Hope you can keep hydrated and get some rest.
I'll be better soon, I hope!

Top Bottom