[TUTORIAL] Video Tutorials on Modding Civ4

@tantanmen

Guess what I'm working on... :mischief:

Civ4ScreenShot0036.JPG

Alright, we're taking this on in pieces. I'm answering your 3rd question first :D

This is brilliant. Thank you so much topsecret :king: I'm sure your blender know-how has been hard earned, but you seem like an absolute whiz at this. You've given me a lot more confidence to forge ahead -- in the all-new Blender 3.4 no less! This video is a great way to complement Ekmek's guide; it really helps me to see the procedures in action. I hope others will be encouraged to try out some basic edits. Thank you very much topsecret!! :w00t:

is there an xml code that controls the range at which a units click radius is? I'm sorry I don't really know how to explain it but I have a couple of new units I created that when activated will not let me click onto other unis whether they are 1 tile away or 6 tiles away. Even If I fortify them or use up all their movement for the turn. If I click on a different unit it will go back to activating the new unit.

Hi Arizona15G, I can try to help you. But first I'd recommend in the future that if you have specific files that you want to modify (Sipahi etc), you should zip them with their xml (if you can find it) and post it. You'll be more likely to get help from other modders this way.

It sounds like you need to learn XML. If you're not using it already, I would recommend an xml program like Notepad++.

Please upload the Sipahi with its corresponding xml and then maybe topsecret or I can get back to you. :)
Over the last several months I have gone from understand absolutely nothing about civ xml to now feeling fairly confident with basic xml stuff like creating units thanks to @topsecret :) I do already use Notepad++ again thanks to TopSecret.

I actually cannot find a Sipahi in the database. I've tried to search for one and skim through the civ4 unit downloads. Kinda surprising to me since it was a Civ3 UU. certainly possibly that I looked over it somewhere.

I have uploaded the WWII Yamato that I would like to turn into a legendary unit in my LoR updated game. I think I zipped all the necessary files. I apologized if I missed something :)

Attachments

• Yamato.zip
    136.8 KB · Views: 5
  • CIV4xml.zip
    41.6 KB · Views: 4
is there an xml code that controls the range at which a units click radius is? I'm sorry I don't really know how to explain it but I have a couple of new units I created that when activated will not let me click onto other unis whether they are 1 tile away or 6 tiles away. Even If I fortify them or use up all their movement for the turn. If I click on a different unit it will go back to activating the new unit.
This might be a Bounding Sphere issue. clanky4 details it here:

You might also want to ask in the Quick Modding Questions Thread - there are a lot of experienced modders who pass through there on a daily basis.

Wow never heard of this. Check out the thread that tantanmen posted.

Over the last several months I have gone from understand absolutely nothing about civ xml to now feeling fairly confident with basic xml stuff like creating units thanks to @topsecret :) I do already use Notepad++ again thanks to TopSecret.

I actually cannot find a Sipahi in the database. I've tried to search for one and skim through the civ4 unit downloads. Kinda surprising to me since it was a Civ3 UU. certainly possibly that I looked over it somewhere.

I have uploaded the WWII Yamato that I would like to turn into a legendary unit in my LoR updated game. I think I zipped all the necessary files. I apologized if I missed something :)
I can't remember how the legendary units work, XML wise, but I think the key is in UnitClassInfos. I think you need to set it to only be buildable by ONE civ.

Yeah, make a new unit and class. But in the Unit Class files, change this:
Code:
        <UnitClassInfo>
            <Type>UNITCLASS_LEGEND_WHATEVER</Type>
            <Description>TXT_KEY_UNIT_LEGEND_WHATEVER</Description>
            <iMaxGlobalInstances>-1</iMaxGlobalInstances>
            <iMaxTeamInstances>-1</iMaxTeamInstances>
            <iMaxPlayerInstances>-1</iMaxPlayerInstances>
            <iInstanceCostModifier>0</iInstanceCostModifier>
            <DefaultUnit>UNIT_LEGEND_WHATEVER</DefaultUnit>
        </UnitClassInfo>

To this:
Code:
        <UnitClassInfo>
            <iMaxGlobalInstances>1</iMaxGlobalInstances>
        </UnitClassInfo>

<iMaxGlobalInstances> needs to be 1

This might be a Bounding Sphere issue. clanky4 details it here:

You might also want to ask in the Quick Modding Questions Thread - there are a lot of experienced modders who pass through there on a daily basis.
I think you're totally on to something here. I tried to follow along with the thread you sent me but I got confused with the instructions. I've never messed with nifscope before :(

Yeah, make a new unit and class. But in the Unit Class files, change this:
Code:
        <UnitClassInfo>
            <iMaxGlobalInstances>-1</iMaxGlobalInstances>
        </UnitClassInfo>

To this:
Code:
        <UnitClassInfo>
            <iMaxGlobalInstances>1</iMaxGlobalInstances>
        </UnitClassInfo>

<iMaxGlobalInstances> needs to be 1
Oh okay, so <iMaxGlobalInstances> determines how many units can be in a game. Whether it's 1, 5, or infinite? -1 = infinite?

Oh okay, so <iMaxGlobalInstances> determines how many units can be in a game. Whether it's 1, 5, or infinite? -1 = infinite?
Yes, -1 is infinite in this case.

@topsecret I'd be curious about a quick little video on adding new promotions to the game. I'm surprised there are not more promotions for download on here, or am I looking in the wrong places?

@topsecret I'd be curious about a quick little video on adding new promotions to the game. I'm surprised there are not more promotions for download on here, or am I looking in the wrong places?
There's some. I'll probably do a video on it soon if I remember.

Top Bottom