Virusmonster's optimal strategy at Deity difficulty for a huge map

This whole "guide" is basically a crime against humanity and even if you accept the travesty of basing a "strategy" around quechuas for a second, there are many substantial mistakes written here. But to spot them one would actually have to play the game and think a bit further than "hehee, use plains hill, build 10 Quechuas and walk to your neighbor". Something you couldn't expect from the "author" of something like this. But yeah, thanks for bringing this little gem back to page 1 and to the attention of the community. I hope any new players with at least an ounce of ambition see this "guide" for what it is.

I think you are being overly harsh and have either no knowledge or respect for history. This thread is probably the primary reason why settling on a plains hills became common. Or perhaps you somehow discovered that's the optimal thing to do by yourself, one of the two. And this applies to every other strategy on this forum from the moment civ4 was released. Writeups like this post by Virusmonster helped us explore and discover this game, first how the game works, what are the limits. Today's Civ4 strategies are built upon this sort of experimentation that got explored, understood and discarded.

Bashing a 12-year old thread that served its purpose is not doing anyone any good. Might as well do it for 90% of articles in the War Academy, then :)

Still, people that are new to the game, will come and see this thread, and learn from it just as we did, eventually ending their journey in conteporary team game writeups and your own videos. Why deny others the joy of discovering this game bit by bit, the way we did?

Civ4 forums are the best written and most comprehensive forum I've ever come across. This thread is a part of that. As far as I'm concerned, forever.

Last edited:
Just saw this, you "bashing" Lain for his post 2 years ago is not much smarter Bibor.
Why are you quoting what he wrote 2y ago, makes no sense at all.
I think what @Bibor said made sense. Obviously this thread have helped people. Elitism do not.

Just saw this, you "bashing" Lain for his post 2 years ago is not much smarter Bibor.
Why are you quoting what he wrote 2y ago, makes no sense at all.

I'm not bashing him, I'm disliking his post. There's a difference. I'm quoting it because this thread has no expiration date and because his post was arrogant.

Last edited:
Top Bottom