VP Text & Tooltip Reports for all Users!

"The resource just isn't there yet." We can't do this since it won't reflect the building when you Civilopedia "Order" and "Orders." If you civilopedia the singular form, you get the building. If you civilopedia the plural form, you get the belief.
Ahh, I see. So to "Civilopedia" a word is to link to its page in the Civilopedia. Would it be possible, then, to Civilopedia the singular form of the word and then tack an "s" on the end to make it plural? So for the Orders page, it could read "Use faith to purchase *Order*s," with the portion in asterisks being the link?

Version Number: 3.6.2
Screenshot/Key Words:View attachment 663422Suggestion: Mouse-over text suggests that Robert I Bruce (player) has the most original :c5capital:Capitals. This is false. Suleimon lost his :c5capital: Capital to Morroco's Ahmad al-Mansur. So, Ahmad controls the most original :c5capital: Capitals.
Not sure if this is a test problem or a Civ/VP bug.
Did you vassal someone here? Please report this on GitHub if this is the case since it's not reflecting that a winner can have the "most original Capitals" through vassalage and other means.

Anyone ever reading this and starting a new save (or mid-save where you HAVE not founded a religion)?
Replace this file ( (2) Vox Populi\Core Files\CoreLua\DiscussionDialog.lua )

This has resolved the issue where you cannot tell the AI not to send their missionaries and prophets to you (as long as that AI is the holy city owner). You can tell the AI not to send missionaries and prophets to you IF one of their missionary has spread, but this is more... a QOL addition to telling them to go away before they even do that.

Please be aggressive with the button! If nothing crashes it can be pulled to the next version!

Yes save-game compatible, but not sure if that's applicable in a late save if everyone has already founded a religion and spread at least 1 missionary to you.

Or in layman's term:
  • Looking For: Crashes when you press the button to not send missionaries and prophets to my cities.
  • Changed Behavior with File Replacement: May ask not to spread religion to a leader (if they founded a religion) despite not having a religion yourself or had a missionary "converted" your cities earlier.

Attachments

• DiscussionDialog.zip
    10.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Sneak peek
1687317931110.png

1687321875221.png

Last edited:
Reconnaissance : gains XP from revealing tlies.

I think the civilopedia should mention how much XP is gained. I don't think it is mentioned anywhere.

Reconnaissance : gains XP from revealing tlies.

I think the civilopedia should mention how much XP is gained. I don't think it is mentioned anywhere.
1 XP per tile but it scales with game speed (into weird decimals...)

Thanks Enginseer for the quick answer.

The more I try to understand how every mechanic work, the more I think there should be transparency in the game rules, even if a formula is weird, complex, scale with map size, game speed or whatever. I agree tooltips are not the right place to display large amount of texts but that's why we have the civilopedia. But I know it's a lot of work and not very fun to do...

The Civilopedia currently doesn't even have the damage formula (which is better represented as a graph which is impossible).

How do you describe these two abilities. I want to place them in the tooltip when you construct a Fort, Citadel, or Ordos (or other Improvements). I can't come up with a good wording for it...
+50% :c5strength: Combat Strength to Units stationed on this Improvement.
Units stationed here will not pursue when attacking from this tile?
Allows water units to traverse this tile?
No Followup from Cities/Forts/Citadels/Ordos
and
Passable Forts

I think the basic tooltips for every UU should be revisited. There's several things I noticed when looking through them on the Select Civ screen.

1) "This unit has a higher Combat Strength" and "This unit is stronger than [Default unit]" is inconsistently applied to units.

First of all, I believe every UU in the game are by default stronger than what they replace by a combination of either having higher base Combat/Ranged Strength, or start with promotions that by defaults puts them over. I would argue that said lines are by default redundant due to how UU works.

Still, I do see the reason to mention it as there's some UU that doesn't have increased CS/RCS like Maori Warriors and Kris Swordsman, or very minimal base stat buffs like Chu-Ko-Nus.

Secondly, it's really not consistent with which units gains the honor of having "higher combat strength" in their tooltip. If we ignore any promotions granted to each unit, we can see that:
Roman Legions has +2 CS and Persian Immortals has +1 CS and their tooltip mention their stronger CS.
Iroquois Mohawk Warrior and Celts Pictish Warriors has +1CS and doesn't mention it.
Germany Landsknect's +2 CS and Zulu Impi's +3CS are not mentioned either. Others unmentioned CS/RCS include Dutch Sea Beggars, Shoshone Comanche Riders, Brazil's Bandeirantes and Swedish Caroleans.

Shoutout to Japan's Samurai having +3CS and thus "Fights more effectively"

Some ranged UU also just states their CS and nothing about their RCS, like English Ship of the Line actually being +3/+3 and India's Naga-Malla only mentions its +3 CS as "higher combat strength" in the tooltip and not its +8RCS lol.

2) The basic description of most UUs doesn't actually describe what they do, especially regarding promotions.

Most egregious example is the Ottoman's Janissary, which have the smallest UU basic description of: "The Janissary is stronger than the Musketman which it replaces, and is available earlier."
At first glance you might think it's unique selling points are:
It's available in an earlier tech.
It's stronger by having better stats (+2CS/+1RCS)

What the description fails to tell you is that the unit is stronger because the Janissary has two more promotions over the default Musketman: The unique Combat Bonus When Attacking (25) (Yes, that's the actual promotion name) and March.
Two very strong promotions that makes the unit really strong for conquest and is for some reason not mentioned.

There's a lot of UU with description that fails to mention what makes them unique/strong, or sell their power too short.
  • Danish Berserker's makes it sound like it has an unique promotion that boost attacking from the sea when in reality it's just... it starts with Amphibious which every melee unit can get. Also they have +1 movement and Charge but again this is not mentioned in the basic tooltip description.
  • Chinese Chu-Ko-Nu's mention that they deal Splash damage. What it fails to mention is that it's an unique version of the Splash Damage promotion which have a 25% RCS when near a city stapled to it and is not mentioned in the UU tooltip.
  • Byzantine Cataphract's description mentions that "It has higher CS, defends better and attacks cities more effectively". Aside from not mentioning that the unit is slower than the knight it replaces, the "defends better" has a really ambigious meaning. If you look at the unit properly, you see that can actually gain Terrain defense bonus, has Cover 1 for free and has an unique promotion called Open Terrain Bonus (30) which gives it 30% CS in open terrain... a very strong defense AND attack bonus in a specific scenario that's not mentioned in the basic description.
  • Babylonian Bowman's description mentions that it's "Stronger and can better withstand melee attacks than the standard archer." It's true... because it has +2 CS and +1 RCS over the archer. I'm not the only person that thought the bowman had an unique promotion to withstand melee attacks, riiiight. The extra CS matters in defending ranged attacks so its not exclusively for melee...
Also the Strategy portions of most of these UUs do a bit better job describing every unique aspect of an UU... some of the time. Janissary's DO mention the March promotion but not the attack bonus. Denmark's Berserker still doesn't mention Amphibious usage alongside rivers. Byzantine Cataphract doesn't mention its unique Open terrain CS bonus promotion..

3) Lastly, the description template for UU is kinda all over the place.
I'm assuming the inconsistency is mostly because each description weren't written or updated at the same time, like Babylon and Maya's UU having changing their promotions recently IIRC.

I do greatly wish for a more uniform way to write the descriptions though.
As an example, most UU has the line "Only the [Civilization] may build it". Aside from some descriptions saying "Only the [Civilization] can build it" (Dutch Sea Beggar) or complete rewording of it (Polish Winged Hussar says "May only be built by the Polish."), they're not consistenly placed in the same part of the body. Most put the line at the start or right after describing the unit's role. Others put it at the end of the entire description or at the end of the first paragraph.

Also some UU doesn't have that line. They instead use the adjective form of a Civ to denote which Civilization the UU belongs to.
Bandeirantes -> "Unique Brazilian Explorer"
Bowman -> "This Babylonian Unique Unit replaces the Archer"
Waraq'Ak -> "This Incan Unique Unit replaces the Slinger"
Note that civilian units like the Khan also uses the adjective form to describe their UU.
Frankly, I prefer the way the Babylonian and Incan UU describes their "uniqueness"

Then there's Comanche Riders -> "The Comanche Riders is the Unique unit of the Shoshone"

Another thing is that the UU descriptions are inconsistent when they're describing the unit in a short, single sentence at the start of the description.
There are units that doesn't have the quick role summary and just straight up starts with the "Only the [Civ] may build this" line, like Russian Cossacks and Mayan Atlatlist.
There are units that starts with the original description of the unit they replace, like Japanese Samurai, Roman Legions, Songhai Mandelaku Cavalry and Persian Immortals. I think American Minutemen and French Musketeer apply here, but they have the old Tercio description instead.

And finally, there's descriptions that actually has a good role summary of the UU.
Dutch Sea Beggars says "Naval Unit that specializes in attacking coastal cities and capturing enemy ships."
It describes the unique power of the UU and gives the player a good idea of how they should use it. Here's the default Corvette text for comparison: "Naval Unit that specializes in melee combat and quick movement"

Another one I like is the Korean Hwach'a: "Anti-personnel rocket unit of the Medieval Era." - Quick summary that explains that its more meant for attacking units than cities. Also mentions the era it belongs to.
Swedish Carolean: "Strong frontline Land Unit specializing in long marches far from Swedish land." - Perhaps a bit too much flavor text but it does hint at what makes it unique compared to the Tercio: They have better sustainability in foreign territory and are meant to be the core of your army.
Indonesian Kris Swordman: "Classical Era Melee unit that has a mystical weapon whose abilities will be discovered the first time it is used in combat." - This first sentence is so good, it's 75% of the entire tooltip description!

Shoutout to Babylonian Bowman that actually describes their unique promotion in a cool way. "Inflicts bonus damage on wounded units through its Markmanship Promotion."

My ideal description would probably be like:
Cataphract - "Byzantian Unique Unit which replaces the Medieval Knight, this Mounted Unit utilizes heavy armor to dominate the battlefield. While a bit less mobile (-1MP), this Unit has (+4 CS) and suffers less attack penalty when attacking cities. For defense, The Cataphract starts with the Cover 1 Promotion and benefits from Terrain Defense Bonuses unlike the Knight. Gains (+30% CS) bonus on open terrain through its unique Open Terrain Bonus (30) promotion."

Janissary - "Ottoman Unique Unit which replaces the Renaissance Musketman, this Ranged Unit is available earlier and has strong offensive bonus and sustain, serving as the muscle of a Renaissance conquest. The Janissary has (+2 CS) and (+1RCS) and starts with the March Promotion, allowing it to heal every turn, and the unique Combat Bonus When Attacking (25), giving the unit the strongest hitting ranged attack of its era."

Both would sound better if their promotions were uniquely named, but you get the idea I hope.

Most of it's redundant. The civilopedia literally shows the number of moves the unit has and its promotions. There's no real need to explicitly state these promotions in the text.

I think it's better to describe how UUs are better than the base units without using numbers or promotion names, as those are already shown on the Civilopedia. I don't think the era needs to be mentioned either.

Starting in the next update after 3.7.11, you will now be able to see the impact of future Historic Events in the Culture Overview panel.

1691006632698.png

Oh.... this is for future Historic Events. The whole time, I thought you were trying to record all of the historic events a player has had up to now.

This could be made a whole lot more clear.

I think the basic tooltips for every UU should be revisited. There's several things I noticed when looking through them on the Select Civ screen.

1) "This unit has a higher Combat Strength" and "This unit is stronger than [Default unit]" is inconsistently applied to units.

First of all, I believe every UU in the game are by default stronger than what they replace by a combination of either having higher base Combat/Ranged Strength, or start with promotions that by defaults puts them over. I would argue that said lines are by default redundant due to how UU works.

Still, I do see the reason to mention it as there's some UU that doesn't have increased CS/RCS like Maori Warriors and Kris Swordsman, or very minimal base stat buffs like Chu-Ko-Nus.

Secondly, it's really not consistent with which units gains the honor of having "higher combat strength" in their tooltip. If we ignore any promotions granted to each unit, we can see that:
Roman Legions has +2 CS and Persian Immortals has +1 CS and their tooltip mention their stronger CS.
Iroquois Mohawk Warrior and Celts Pictish Warriors has +1CS and doesn't mention it.
Germany Landsknect's +2 CS and Zulu Impi's +3CS are not mentioned either. Others unmentioned CS/RCS include Dutch Sea Beggars, Shoshone Comanche Riders, Brazil's Bandeirantes and Swedish Caroleans.

Shoutout to Japan's Samurai having +3CS and thus "Fights more effectively"

Some ranged UU also just states their CS and nothing about their RCS, like English Ship of the Line actually being +3/+3 and India's Naga-Malla only mentions its +3 CS as "higher combat strength" in the tooltip and not its +8RCS lol.

2) The basic description of most UUs doesn't actually describe what they do, especially regarding promotions.

Most egregious example is the Ottoman's Janissary, which have the smallest UU basic description of: "The Janissary is stronger than the Musketman which it replaces, and is available earlier."
At first glance you might think it's unique selling points are:
It's available in an earlier tech.
It's stronger by having better stats (+2CS/+1RCS)

What the description fails to tell you is that the unit is stronger because the Janissary has two more promotions over the default Musketman: The unique Combat Bonus When Attacking (25) (Yes, that's the actual promotion name) and March.
Two very strong promotions that makes the unit really strong for conquest and is for some reason not mentioned.

There's a lot of UU with description that fails to mention what makes them unique/strong, or sell their power too short.
  • Danish Berserker's makes it sound like it has an unique promotion that boost attacking from the sea when in reality it's just... it starts with Amphibious which every melee unit can get. Also they have +1 movement and Charge but again this is not mentioned in the basic tooltip description.
  • Chinese Chu-Ko-Nu's mention that they deal Splash damage. What it fails to mention is that it's an unique version of the Splash Damage promotion which have a 25% RCS when near a city stapled to it and is not mentioned in the UU tooltip.
  • Byzantine Cataphract's description mentions that "It has higher CS, defends better and attacks cities more effectively". Aside from not mentioning that the unit is slower than the knight it replaces, the "defends better" has a really ambigious meaning. If you look at the unit properly, you see that can actually gain Terrain defense bonus, has Cover 1 for free and has an unique promotion called Open Terrain Bonus (30) which gives it 30% CS in open terrain... a very strong defense AND attack bonus in a specific scenario that's not mentioned in the basic description.
  • Babylonian Bowman's description mentions that it's "Stronger and can better withstand melee attacks than the standard archer." It's true... because it has +2 CS and +1 RCS over the archer. I'm not the only person that thought the bowman had an unique promotion to withstand melee attacks, riiiight. The extra CS matters in defending ranged attacks so its not exclusively for melee...
Also the Strategy portions of most of these UUs do a bit better job describing every unique aspect of an UU... some of the time. Janissary's DO mention the March promotion but not the attack bonus. Denmark's Berserker still doesn't mention Amphibious usage alongside rivers. Byzantine Cataphract doesn't mention its unique Open terrain CS bonus promotion..

3) Lastly, the description template for UU is kinda all over the place.
I'm assuming the inconsistency is mostly because each description weren't written or updated at the same time, like Babylon and Maya's UU having changing their promotions recently IIRC.

I do greatly wish for a more uniform way to write the descriptions though.
As an example, most UU has the line "Only the [Civilization] may build it". Aside from some descriptions saying "Only the [Civilization] can build it" (Dutch Sea Beggar) or complete rewording of it (Polish Winged Hussar says "May only be built by the Polish."), they're not consistenly placed in the same part of the body. Most put the line at the start or right after describing the unit's role. Others put it at the end of the entire description or at the end of the first paragraph.

Also some UU doesn't have that line. They instead use the adjective form of a Civ to denote which Civilization the UU belongs to.
Bandeirantes -> "Unique Brazilian Explorer"
Bowman -> "This Babylonian Unique Unit replaces the Archer"
Waraq'Ak -> "This Incan Unique Unit replaces the Slinger"
Note that civilian units like the Khan also uses the adjective form to describe their UU.
Frankly, I prefer the way the Babylonian and Incan UU describes their "uniqueness"

Then there's Comanche Riders -> "The Comanche Riders is the Unique unit of the Shoshone"

Another thing is that the UU descriptions are inconsistent when they're describing the unit in a short, single sentence at the start of the description.
There are units that doesn't have the quick role summary and just straight up starts with the "Only the [Civ] may build this" line, like Russian Cossacks and Mayan Atlatlist.
There are units that starts with the original description of the unit they replace, like Japanese Samurai, Roman Legions, Songhai Mandelaku Cavalry and Persian Immortals. I think American Minutemen and French Musketeer apply here, but they have the old Tercio description instead.

And finally, there's descriptions that actually has a good role summary of the UU.
Dutch Sea Beggars says "Naval Unit that specializes in attacking coastal cities and capturing enemy ships."
It describes the unique power of the UU and gives the player a good idea of how they should use it. Here's the default Corvette text for comparison: "Naval Unit that specializes in melee combat and quick movement"

Another one I like is the Korean Hwach'a: "Anti-personnel rocket unit of the Medieval Era." - Quick summary that explains that its more meant for attacking units than cities. Also mentions the era it belongs to.
Swedish Carolean: "Strong frontline Land Unit specializing in long marches far from Swedish land." - Perhaps a bit too much flavor text but it does hint at what makes it unique compared to the Tercio: They have better sustainability in foreign territory and are meant to be the core of your army.
Indonesian Kris Swordman: "Classical Era Melee unit that has a mystical weapon whose abilities will be discovered the first time it is used in combat." - This first sentence is so good, it's 75% of the entire tooltip description!

Shoutout to Babylonian Bowman that actually describes their unique promotion in a cool way. "Inflicts bonus damage on wounded units through its Markmanship Promotion."

My ideal description would probably be like:
Cataphract - "Byzantian Unique Unit which replaces the Medieval Knight, this Mounted Unit utilizes heavy armor to dominate the battlefield. While a bit less mobile (-1MP), this Unit has (+4 CS) and suffers less attack penalty when attacking cities. For defense, The Cataphract starts with the Cover 1 Promotion and benefits from Terrain Defense Bonuses unlike the Knight. Gains (+30% CS) bonus on open terrain through its unique Open Terrain Bonus (30) promotion."

Janissary - "Ottoman Unique Unit which replaces the Renaissance Musketman, this Ranged Unit is available earlier and has strong offensive bonus and sustain, serving as the muscle of a Renaissance conquest. The Janissary has (+2 CS) and (+1RCS) and starts with the March Promotion, allowing it to heal every turn, and the unique Combat Bonus When Attacking (25), giving the unit the strongest hitting ranged attack of its era."

Both would sound better if their promotions were uniquely named, but you get the idea I hope.
maybe addressed this for 3.10.2 but i dont know

Top Bottom