W-I-P: Storm Over the Pacifc

i seemed to have forgotten to add in the nuclear buildings for the US :blush: by this i mean the three (3) locations that will be a part of the manhattan project stuff (los alamos, hanford/seattle, WA, oak ridge/nashville, TN). city of chicago also has one but it won't be a part of the atom bomb auto-production scheme (Chicago Pile-1, buildable only in chicago, +1 prod, doubles research output in that city, classified as sm wonder). all of them will be classified as sm wonders. iirc, i posted a screen some time ago with them all. i'll try to list them below by memory :)

Chicago Pile-1, 1st chain reaction, enrico fermi

Hanford Engineer Works
B Reactor
Little Boy - nuke spawning

Clinton Engineer Works
enrichment plant x 2 (2nd one spawns nuke, forget the actual names of the plants but they have names)

Manhattan Project (1st in the tech line)
Los Alamos National Labratory
Project Y (implosion type weapon iirc)
Trinity (nuke test, spawns nuke)

for the time being, i've set each of the above as small wonders, +1 prod, doubles research output in that city. not sure if there is a stacking/cumulative effect with the science bonus. anyone know ? not listed as such in the editor thread.

i've been creating splashes for each one. so this is why it has been taking a little longer than usual...still have to snag delta's latest limey ships and add them in and remove the placeholders. after that, it's pre-placing sea units and others. grueling.

not sure if there is a stacking/cumulative effect with the science bonus. anyone know ?
Yes it is cumulative. I've been using this post for my own scenario, to know what flags are cumulative or not; located in this THREAD

Spoiler :
Here is a list of the flags that have been confirmed as being cumulative and not cumulative:

Cumulative
*Doubles Sacrifice (!)
+50% Research Output
+50% Luxury Output
+50% Tax Output
Resistant to Propaganda
Reduce Corruption
Reduce War Weariness
Increases Food in Water
*Increases Trade in Water
Increases Shields in Water
+1 Trade in Each Trade-Producing Tile
Doubles Research Output
*Treasury Earns 5% (max total earned from interest is still 50gpt)
Reduce Corruption
Reduces War Weariness in All Cities
Doubles City Defenses (Bombardment defense only)

Not Cumulative
Defense bonuses of improvements
Removes Pop. Pollution
Removes Bldg. Pollution
*Increase Luxury Trade
Doubles Combat Strength vs. Barbarians
+1 Ship Movement
+2 Ship Movement
Halves Unit Upgrade Cost
*City Growth Causes +2 Citizens
Increase Chance of Leader Appearence
Build Larger Armies
*Allows Healing in enemy Territory

Text in italics indicates a wonder effect.

EDIT: I realized the list was not entirely up to date - so I added a few more (marked with *) ;)

EDIT2: Corrected Treasury Earns 5% effect

still chipping away with the nuclear wonders. got 2 more done this afternoon and 2 yesterday. got 3 more left iirc.

been giving some thought to adding in a 2nd tier ground unit for all (or nearly all) civs. by this i mean like a 'home guard' unit, a watered down ground unit, cheap, low HP, low defense rating, 1 offense rating. for those familiar with AoI, think Colonial Sentry or Home Guard. US will likely get one for the pac islands (usn garrison perhaps). Japan will get one there too (ijn garrison?). imperialism resource will allow for US Army Garrison and IJA Garrison. other civs will likely get a single garrison type unit. not sure how to handle the 'draft' function. leaning towards restricting it. need to flesh it out...

got the rest of the manhattan project stuff in, splashes, text&editor entries and the like :) subbed in the new royal navy ships and the neat chinese roc infantry unit. all are in and 'work'. would like to see my crude attempt at the splashes in-game ;) haven't yet. i will during the course of alpha testing which i started running this morning. i'll see how far i can roll (again) with each factions and sort of tweak/polish as i go along. goal will be to get the biq file to a point where i (we) can legitimately beta test, ie we have it to a point were only the edges need to be smoothed over some and no wholesale stuff. last thing, really, is pre-placing the sea units and some others. but i can still run in an alpha mode until then :cool:

I can't wait to download and play this.

quick update -

i've been trying to run some of these alpha tests when i can. time has been limited for me lately but i've been trying to get some sessions in when i can.

taking notes as i go along. will need to make the noted adjustments for next run. not sure how long i'll take this particular one as the US but it'll be for some time, i think.

here's a shot of one (1st one available) of the splashes i made (converted, really). not too shabby :) colors are nice. a real slight off center (at the top) on the interface splash window. not the end of the world though...

That's really cool. I really like seeing "Intelligence Bulletin" and "War Department".

You do that, I'll keep watching Betty's legs.

El Justo

What's the "X" rating at the bottom right for? Is that part the "top secret" material reserved for VIP review only after hours? ;)

Nice job, BTW.

You do that, I'll keep watching Betty's legs.

Ahhhhh...but they look so much better from the front. :D

This is looking amazing El Justo. I'm really glad you are using that customized watercolor tileset by default too. I fell in love with it ever since playing AoI and have since used it for everything.

It has been a bit since I popped in to post some stuff. RL has been taking a toll on my available time.

The first run of ship info is pretty much done now. There are a few things left (merchant shipping units, etc), but by and large the stats are done. There have already been some adjustments (destroyers toned down, certain ship classes tweaked after being reexamined, etc) and I am sure there will be a few more adjustments as we do some more testing.

One of the things that was different for this particular project and that was especially important from a naval standpoint of view was trying to preplace all the units on the map in some sort of approximation of where they were at during early May of 1942 for our start time. This was particularly harder for the Japanese (their fleet is all across the Pacific) and for smaller units like destroyers and subs. (Not as much ready information as there was for capital ships). The US and Commonwealth units were a bit easier to place simply because there were only a few areas they were at compared to the Japanese fleet.

As usual, I learned a lot doing all the detailed research on this project. It is just a shame the Civ 3 engine is so limited in many ways to represent what we could put into the game, but then again it was not a purpose built engine for a war game campaign in the Pacific during WW2.

Still a fair amount of work to do, but certainly progressing along. Art work is looking top notch! (I wonder if the original designers of Civ 3 ever thought graphics and scenarios such as this one would ever be possible).

Hey Klyden,

This website Link has exactly what you need for info of where each ship of each class was. So go to Tabular Records of Movement and click on the class then name scroll down to your desired time frame to see where that particular ship was located!

- Delta

Aye, that is one of the sites I used, but especially for the smaller ships, they don't have a very complete list of what was where.

Case in point, there were 20 something Fubuki class destroyers. Only 1 has a TROM, which doesn't exactly help me with where the other 20 or so were. :lol:

Aye, that is one of the sites I used, but especially for the smaller ships, they don't have a very complete list of what was where.

Case in point, there were 20 something Fubuki class destroyers. Only 1 has a TROM, which doesn't exactly help me with where the other 20 or so were. :lol:

The best source of data for what you are looking for is in the Daily Intelligence Summaries put out by the Magic section at Pearl Harbor, contained in the NSA World War 2 files, but none of that is online. If you have someone near DC, the files are at Archives II in College Park, Maryland. Whoever goes would have to spend some time going through a lot of pages of paper, including the shared intelligence files from the British and Anzacs.

The best source of data for what you are looking for is in the Daily Intelligence Summaries put out by the Magic section at Pearl Harbor, contained in the NSA World War 2 files, but none of that is online. If you have someone near DC, the files are at Archives II in College Park, Maryland. Whoever goes would have to spend some time going through a lot of pages of paper, including the shared intelligence files from the British and Anzacs.
Wow, that's like some ancient era research right there. Actually going to a library to research things? You'd think that they would've put all that stuff online.

Wow, that's like some ancient era research right there. Actually going to a library to research things? You'd think that they would've put all that stuff online.

When I was working with John Winton, in helping him research his book, Ultra in the Pacific, we went through approximately 250,000 pages of documents, some of which were poor quality mimeograph from WW2. Is some cases, there was highly limited distribution, and all copies were numbers. We wished that they had changed the master in the mimeograph more often. The likelihood of those files ever being scanned and catalogued for online use is somewhere between nil and non-existent. We were doing this in the early 1990s, and we had to check with the archivist on a continuous basis to see if we could photocopy the documents.

For any serious research in the US National Archives, it is as you call it, "ancient era". Given some of the material that I have come across and protested the declassification of it, without success, I would much prefer it that way. Besides that, where do you think that people who put Orders of Battle information online get their information? The Times-Life History of World War Two?

Top Bottom