[WARLORDS 2.08] Ranged Bombardment

Dale

Mohawk Games Developer
Ranged Bombardment for Warlords 2.08!

The most popular component of my full combat mod is now converted to WL 2.08 and available seperately from the rest.

File: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=3863

To those new to this component, a brief explanation:
Siege units and some naval units now have a ranged bombardment ability that replaces the old bombard method. They can bombard tiles adjacent to them to attack units, cities or tile improvements. Simply select the unit, select bombard, then select the tile to bombard. In this way, siege units do not need to frontal attack to be useful. :)

Units with ranged bombardment abilities and their range:
- Catapults: 1
- Treb: 1
- Cannon: 1
- Artillery: 2
- Frigate: 1
- Ironclad: 1
- Battleship: 2

Everyone enjoy! :)

Dale

As DCM does not work with 2.08 Warlords, I tried installing this while waiting an update to the whole mod. However I couldn't get it to work. How do I install this correctly?

Hey Exel,

I was able to get the Mod to work by doing the following:

1. Create a folder:

C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Warlords\Mods\Ranged Bombardment

2. The Mod files from the zip file go under the Ranged Bombardment folder.

3. Clear the cache by deleting all files in the following foilder:

C:\Documents and Settings\John\Application Data\My Games\Warlords\cache

Create a new game and I’m sure it will work. :king:

V/R,

Orion Veteran :cool:

Do you have to change the CvGameCoreDll.dll and CiV4unitInfos to add more units to your list. I like to see Tanks and Destroyer. I don't know how to work with the CvGameCoreDLL.dll. Think about it Tanks don't allways go head to head.

Just change it in Civ4UnitInfos.xml (add the "iDCMBombRange" line). See artillery for example (bottom line of xml for arty).

No need to change anything in the DLL. :)

Dale

Dale,

Love the Mod!!! Is it possible to have the iDCMBombRange value set to 0 and function like default CivIV? If I leave the iDCMBombRange tag off or set it to zero it doesn't allow me to do any bombardment including reducing defenses. Thanks for any help!

yesssss!!! thanks you very much

Dale,

Love the Mod!!! Is it possible to have the iDCMBombRange value set to 0 and function like default CivIV? If I leave the iDCMBombRange tag off or set it to zero it doesn't allow me to do any bombardment including reducing defenses. Thanks for any help!

Sorry mate, I just tested it and it won't work like that. I might have time to fix it up in 6 months. ;)

Dale

Dale,

As I said a couple of months ago, I would also be extremely appreciative if you managed to get this implemented. It would really give a lot more flexibility to people (like me) who want to use the DCM Bombard mechanic to represent other concepts.

Dale, are you still working with the Bombardment AI? At least with just this ModComp (haven't got around to using the full mod yet, due to the patch issue) it still only uses the artillery to reducing city defences, after which it assaults head-on with any and every arty unit. It doesn't use the ranged attack to cause collateral damage. It'd be nice if you could fix this so it wouldn't give the human player such an advantage. Otherwise the bombardment (including naval :goodjob: ) works fine and solid.

Dale,

I have played a couple of games with your Ranged Bombardment mod and it plays nicely. :goodjob: The only improvements I can recommend are the ideas first stated by Roamty: Please add the following new units:

1. Destroyer - Bombardment Range 1
2. Tank - Bombardment Range 1
3. Modern Armor - Bombardment Range 2

The is one additional unit that I would like to see added to CIV4 Warlords:

4. The Privateer - Bombardment Range 1

Like Civ3, the Privateer should appear as a pirate ship that can engage in combat without the owning Civ declaring war. :D

Very Respectfully,

Hey Orion,

If you want to add bombardment to other units, following this simple procedure:

1. Open the file \Mods\<ModName>\Assets\Xml\Units\Civ4UnitInfos.xml in notepad.
2. Add the following code to the end of each unit you want to modify:
Code:
<iDCMBombRange>1</iDCMBombRange>
3. Play.

BTW, if you want a range other than 1, just change the number to whatever range you want.

As for the privateer, check out my Age of Discovery mod (see sig). :)

Dale

Dale: So how's the AI? Is it possible to make the AI use the ranged bombardment for collateral damage too?

I've tested this, and the AI does bombard my units in the open (for collatoral). There's no collatoral whilst bombarding cities, it's defense reducing only. Also, the AI does bombard tile imps as well.

I've just tested all of this, and the AI is picking all three situations for the mission. Even as far as AI battleship coastal bombarding.

Just a question, can you bombard other things than cities? The only thing I can of is either the AI in your game hasn't seem anything more attractive than cities, or the mod isn't installed correctly for you.

Ranged Bombardment for Warlords 2.08!

The most popular component of my full combat mod is now converted to WL 2.08 and available seperately from the rest.

File: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=3863

To those new to this component, a brief explanation:
Siege units and some naval units now have a ranged bombardment ability that replaces the old bombard method. They can bombard tiles adjacent to them to attack units, cities or tile improvements. Simply select the unit, select bombard, then select the tile to bombard. In this way, siege units do not need to frontal attack to be useful. :)

Dale

Excellent! but how do I install this component? no instruction anywhere :confused:

Could this work together with other scenarios?

Thanks

Excellent! but how do I install this component? no instruction anywhere :confused:

LaCiencia,

Please take a look at my first post to Exel earlier on this page. It gives you a step by step procedure on how to install this mod. It's easy! :)

Very Respectfully,

I've tested this, and the AI does bombard my units in the open (for collatoral). There's no collatoral whilst bombarding cities, it's defense reducing only. Also, the AI does bombard tile imps as well.

I've just tested all of this, and the AI is picking all three situations for the mission. Even as far as AI battleship coastal bombarding.

Just a question, can you bombard other things than cities? The only thing I can of is either the AI in your game hasn't seem anything more attractive than cities, or the mod isn't installed correctly for you.

Yes, I can bombard units, terrain improvements, etc. But I can also cause collateral damage to units in cities after the city defences are reduced to 0 with the ranged bombardment. The AI however doesn't seem to do this and instead attacks with the arty units head-on. That gives the human player a significant advantage over the AI.

Has your intention been that you couldn't cause collateral damage to units in cities with the ranged bombardment? You most definitely can, and mind you, I think that's how it should be. In fact I would go even as far as giving all land-based arty units the "can only defend" flag if only that didn't cripple the AI.

Yes, the intention was to do collatoral damage.

The AI actually uses the same mission code as the human, so it can do collatoral damage. It's just the AI is deciding that frontal attack is more beneficial to it than continuing bombarding.

Does it follow up the frontal attacks with other units to try to finish you off?

The AI actually uses the same mission code as the human, so it can do collatoral damage. It's just the AI is deciding that frontal attack is more beneficial to it than continuing bombarding.

Does it follow up the frontal attacks with other units to try to finish you off?

That it does, but usually to not so great effect. I think the problem lies in the AI sticking to the manners of old (vanilla) while it would in fact be much more effective to use the arty in the ranged attack always. As it is, the AI wastes its artillery units assaulting the city, doing no more collateral damage than it would by using the ranged mode, and if it can't take the city on the same turn it then has no arty remaining for the next turn and the city defences are back up. Would adding the "can only defend" tag force the AI to use the arty in ranged attack mode all the time? Or does it realize at all that it can do collateral damage with the ranged attack and just stops because it thinks it can't use it beyond reducing city defences?

Top Bottom