Was the assassination of Bin Ladin illegal?

Was the assassination of Bin Ladin illegal?

• Yes

Votes: 32 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 59 45.0%
  • I'm not sure

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Who cares, we can do what we want

Votes: 31 23.7%

• Total voters
Bin Laden issued a signed declaration of war against the US in 1998. From that point on he was a legitimate target whether he was holding a gun in his hands or not.

Armchair generals who weren't there have no business judging the people who WERE there.

Assassination is a loaded word. Killing is more appropriate. Yes it was legal to kill him. Every state has a right to protect its people and that is what USA did. We also protected/avenged a lot of people who aren't Americans. Bin Laden's terrorists have killed lots of people other than on 9/11 many of whom were muslems.

The ill-educated masses of the internet, and this site, can twattle all they like.

The Internationally recognised Laws of Armed Conflict recognise Osama Bin Laden as a Combatant, therefore his killing by military forces of any nation is perfectly legal.

The morality of such an operation has nothing to do with the legality of such an operation.

/thread.

"Osama bin Laden is dead! Happy days! Happy days, everybody! This is the greatest night of my career!"
— Geraldo Rivera, confirming that even the death of Osama bin Laden is about him

It is entirely possible he was shot in the back or the side of the head. Would this change anyone's attitude towards this? And should we be showing these photos to members of congress? Obviously they can't be trusted, they blab about it to the press.

check this out

http://dailycaller.com/2011/05/11/i...laden-in-nothing-but-his-underwear-when-shot/

http://www.kjrh.com/dpp/news/local_news/inhofe-1st-to-see-bin-laden-photos

TULSA - More people are starting to see photos of Osama Bin Laden's body.

On Wednesday, U.S. Senator Jim Inhofe was the first member of Congress to view them.

Fifteen images were shown during a secure briefing with the Senator.

"It's a little easier for me to talk to people and say what I've seen. I felt like I owed that to my constituents," Sen. Inhofe (R) said.

He talked with 2NEWS via Skype from Washington, D.C. after seeing them.

He said several of the photos were taken inside the compound where Bin Laden was killed.

"The bullet either went in the ear and out the eyeball or in the eyeball and out the ear," he said.

The senator said the most identifying photos were taken onboard the USS Carl Vinson.

That's the aircraft carrier where Bin Laden's body was cleaned before the burial at sea.

"It's easier to identify who it is by looking at those shots," he said.

Senator Inhofe told 2NEWS he didn't have doubts before and he doesn't now.

He said some of the pictures are graphic. But he continues to rally for at least one of them to be released to the public.

"I just want to make sure that the people are entitled to and have a picture that they can look at and say he's dead," Sen. Inhofe said.

The Obama administration has said a release could spark retaliation.

Senator Inhofe calls that a "phony argument."

"Since 9/11 there have been 32 attacks on America that we stopped through our intelligence. They would do anything they could to kill everyone of us who's watching right now if they could. But this isn't going to make them try anymore, they're trying right now anyway," he said.

The office of Oklahoma Congressman Dan Boren (D) told 2NEWS he is expected to view the photos sometime this week.

I don't think anybody has told them to remain silent about what they have seen. I imagine that is the whole point of allowing them to view the photos.

Someone just needs to educate at least one of the congressmen how to tell the difference between an entry wound and an exit wound so we will all know whether bin Laden was shot in the head from the side or behind instead of from the front. Not that I think it really makes much difference.

Top Bottom