We met Mavericks north of the desert! T43

Provolution

Sage of Quatronia
Gentlemen

We just met the Mavericks, turn 43, just north of the desert peninsula. I will provide detailed maps and screenshots for several aspects of this game, as turn 43, or BC 2880.

We have now established that CDZ seems to only have met us, and the same with mavericks. I decided to set espionage only on CDZ, so that they do not feel we just met someone (that would say, the espionage parity would have been halved immediately, and we did not want them to see that.

2. We have also established the rough structure of the global petal structure with 6 islands and a massive petal continent with 6 petals in the middle.

3. I have redecided on the strategy, based on these finds, and would like to only research writing and alphabet for now, as we would by the completion of Alphabet, about 1+6+18 turns from now (sailing, writing, alphabet(, be able to handle at least a four-way trade from Alphabet, allowing us to get early gains from the very first trade. I guess there are us, and maximum two, that did send out two workboats as early as we did.

4. The correct city build sequence with this, would be as the original, Quatron and Singularity, but also Resonance immediately with no lead time on delayed builds due to health-happiness disparity.

As it stands, the cities with 4 forests and no rivers have 5 as the present health cap. We may need clams and/or granary to increase this.

CDZ will reach Maverick, not the other way around, 25 Turns from now, and us, 13 turns from now.

6. The magic date for us having Alphabet and the opportunity to close 4 parallel deals is unprecedented, and should be exploited. This would require nuanced diplomacy, finely tuned, and with the intent to max out the first 2-3 trades to the optimum.

As I see it, we would get Alphabet just before CDZ reaches Mavericks, if we concentrate on gold/financial trait for now. This also means we cannot build too much allowing Continuum to increase in size until we got the clams under control (allowing size 8. So, we are talking about a race, where we may need to complete Alphabet before the CDZ working boat reaches the mavericks. This also means we cannot tell the mavericks, who sees we got all EP on them, that a CDZ boat is heading their way, with a certain ETA.

Turn 43+25 is Turn 68, Turn 68 is by far the strategic deadline in this trade gambit. Most likely, we would only be able to trade away Writing initially, then Meditation, possibly mysticism in the odd case.

Quatronia-Maverick deal could be like this (we need to talk with them on this NOW)
We give them Meditation for Polytheism this round, we agree to research Monotheism, if they research Priesthood, to compensate for the beaker differential

Quatronia-CDZ deal could be like this (we need to introduce that we are having meditation, and soon priesthood for them, in exchange for).

For this we may get Hunting and Animal Husbandry from CDZ. We may broker a deal where we give the Alphabet for their Mathematics and Masonry, to make a sort of balanced deal there. The iron working, metal casting and the compass route is something else we can deal with here. We could get Metal Casting and Compass from , as we got the biggest synergies with them in the naval field.

I do not expect Pottery, Sailing, Bronze Working, fisheries, mining and wheel to be tradeable to anyone by 25 turns from now.

For the other deals, I can see the following:

Sirius taking the more mercantile route, , as their Creative trait handles their culture. I think we should be stricter with these, as they are farther away, and we need to keep CDZ and Mavericks relatively happier.

I suggest we give Alphabet for Iron Working and possibly another leftover minor tech to these. Quite possibly,

Merlot, knowing Indiansmoke and his folks quite well, most of the time goes for Monarchy. So be it, we trade him Alphabet for Monarchy, that would be the first deal there, equal measure. Other than that, they would likely head for Construction for the great UB, Ball Court, right away, for many of the same reasons we headed for Stonehenge in the outset, I suggest we target them for a deal on Construction for something we can offer them.

Amazons, would likely max out their charismatic and imperialistic trait in order tosprawl on their neighbors, either of the two we met, or between them, with the others unmet.

Sirius, would likely head for Currency, judging their civ and playstyles and need to get ahead with research for the midgame, we should trade them Alphabet ++ for their currency.

It is interesting knews that we met Mavericks, a very clear picture of the world forming. Not being next to either the Persians (AMAZON) or Dutch (Sirius) at least means we have slightly less pressure on expanding to lots of land; I think we can handle our petal that is split with India all right.

I agree this also precipitates more of a crucial time for strategy, probably more thoughts to follow, we have a lot of discussion but that's a good thing.

Though, while I could support a move to Alphabet ourselves, I will point out if we are making long term plans sometimes we have to not try to change all the time. Before we decided on Stonehenge, we knew it would slow down settling overseas (which I why I hope we are kind of in agreement on getting the three cities on the home island here, at least. That sounds good to me now) We knew we would be making contact with other teams when we were talking about technology, going through Writing etc...

That said, I do see reasons for serious consideration of your proposed research plan, or essentially, any plan geared towards trade. However we have to also realize other teams may or may not be willing to tech what we ask. And Alphabet is potentially the least flexible technology of all, because it doesn't grant us increased military or economic potential if we have troubles with trade.

And also, if we really try to get trades going with multiple teams, this is going to wind up in some broken promises or hostility, naturally, so we should be wary of that. Teams can see when our score goes up and when we are trading, we might not be able to throw off a third or fourth team for just giving us tech for Alphabet. Somebody ultimately has to be left behind and we are the instigators behind the whole plot they may be angry and come after us eventually.

I agree with the proposal that we only let Mavericks, and not CDZ, see that we have contact with another right now (Mavericks will see us not build espionage on them). CDZ is more of a military danger, and we have more important/valuable land to expand to towards CDZ as things stand, so given a choice without other factors, I'd avoid getting CDZ pissed off first.

Still, if we do go tech writing now, then we know where we are heading and will continue to work on diplomacy. I'd be onboard to go with writing next, I think some of the rest of the team might have been standing by that position anyway without recent compromise, and that could work by me.

Top Bottom