Western US (Old West) Map & Terrain

Balthasar

Wise Man
Cowboy Music (open in new window or tab)
Powwow Radio Live

OLD WEST MAP VERSION 2
Feb 10, 1011

This update extends the map east, including St. Louis, New Orleans
a navigable Mississippi River
and south including Chihuahua

download it >here<

Screenshots:
Northern California

Southern California

Last edited:
CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE

Womak (base terrain) especially mountains
Ares De Borg (base terrain) especially desert, plains, LM Hills, mountains

Blue Monkey's bonus Grassland Wildflowers

Goldfool's Canyon Flood Plains

Pounder's Western Frontier Towns

The rivers are Pounder's wider rivers but I've darkened them a little I think..

Version 2:

Pounder's Bayou Marsh

If you see something you made in here, remind me so that I can credit you; I can't remember everything I do...

All of these were modified for this terrain, so I recommend that you check out these creators' works in their original glory.

Yee haw, looks great!

This is a cool collection of Graphic Artwork !:goodjob: All previews are looking like they are full of custom graphic.:cooool:
It will help me a lot making a better Wild West Mod.:thanx: Will take me a while sorting out.:coffee:
:cowboy:
Bye
General 666

Actually the center is filled in, it's the edges that were deliberately left bare, so that they would blend better with the mountains and hills, under which I put that texture so that they would blend in with the deserts without too much grass showing. I could put the yellow grass texture on every one of those tiles, but then the mountains wouldn't look right in the northwest. It took me about a week to figure all of that out, so thanks for noticing. The bonus wildflowers were perfect for the west coast, although they look good everywhere...

Wonderful work. I think the greatest work of it all is the map itself. Thank you!

Nice, I can see myself killing every buffalo in the central Great Plains area. :sniper:

Feels good to be an American.

I've been playing with the mine, to try to find one that fits this terrain. First, I put some mines around Cheyenne:

Then I tested some ideas:

Spoiler :

On the top, I used the fences from Pounder's western town. Advantage: looks great, doesn't cover resources. Disadvantage: doesn't work at all with hills, mountains.

Just below that, I replaced the mine with one of Pounders buildings as a barn, offset so as to minimally conflict with resources, roads. Advantage: all-terrain. Disadvantage: doesn't go well with Indian villages.

At the bottom, I tried using trees instead. Advantage: mine disappears entirely; adds variety to terrain. Disadvantage: really awkward on desert terrain; hard to tell which tiles are mined.

More testing is needed...

I'm also working on another version of this map, that pushes everything west a little, and adds the Mississippi along the right edge. I'd love to be able to use the steamboat..

Here's a teaser:

Putting the Mississippi there will necessarily truncate the plains, losing most of Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Dakota, but that could be a good thing for game play...

Top Bottom