What are you guys playing now?

In IV there's more management of things that matter: cities, civics and such and less of boring click unit, move there, click unit, move here. I'm sorry but it's indisputable fact. :p

In IV there's more management of things that matter: cities, civics and such and less of boring click unit, move there, click unit, move here. I'm sorry but it's indisputable fact. :p

>check Steam
>Civilization V one of top ten played games
>has been for four years
>mfw indisputable facts

How is that at all relevant? Lots of people have played Civ V on its only distribution platform, therefore Salty Mud is somehow wrong?

How is that at all relevant? Lots of people have played Civ V on its only distribution platform, therefore Salty Mud is somehow wrong?

People get on an anti-CivV circlejerk about how great Civilization IV despite the fact Civilization IV is painfully flawed in a lot of aspects. The religion system is just there, the trade system is so out of your face that outside of mods I probably would just go State Property 90% of the time, and this, that and the other thing.

Civics. Those things you unlocked but end up settling on a handful because some are just objectively better than others.

Somehow we put on our rose-tinted glasses and look back on Civilization IV as literally the greatest thing ever, without actually acknowledging that Civilization V did

>Espionage
>Trade
>Religion
>Naval Combat
>Resources
>The UN
>Culture
>Air Combat
>Nuclear Warfare
>Civilizations

better. Literally the only things Civilization IV has on Civilization V is land combat, city management, and a better modding scene, which is good since nobody plays CivIV unmodded anyway.

All I see are opinions. And if they were factually better, it's irrelevant because it's too painful to play the game with 1UPT, an economy busted beyond repair and utterly braindead AI. The happiness mechanic in particular gets me. It's just bad.

Spoiler :
in my opinion

All I see are opinions. And if they were factually better, it's irrelevant because it's too painful to play the game with 1UPT, an economy busted beyond repair and utterly braindead AI. The happiness mechanic in particular gets me. It's just bad.

Civilization IV's diplo AI wasn't much better. Again, unless you're playing with Ruthless AI (via mods) in Civilization IV or boosting the difficulty, CivIV AI was pretty much a pushover anyway.

Arguing which broken AI is better doesn't change the fact the AIs were broken.

At least it wasn't as poor as inevitably going to war because you border them, or being told you're stealing their land by colonising a different continent and suffering relationship penalties for it. You get punished for expanding in a Civilisation game. Madness.

At least it wasn't as poor as inevitably going to war because you border them, or being told you're stealing their land by colonising a different continent and suffering relationship penalties for it. You get punished for expanding in a Civilisation game. Madness.

Because you know, civilizations have a long history of not coming into conflict with neighboring civilizations and nobody ever makes up reasons to be aggressive. :rolleyes:

There are better city-builders on the market for people who dislike conflict.

You've already admitted that Civ IV's diplomacy was better. Why are you suggesting that Salty dislikes conflict because he dislikes Civ V's diplomacy?

Because you know, civilizations have a long history of not coming into conflict with neighboring civilizations and nobody ever makes up reasons to be aggressive. :rolleyes:

There are better city-builders on the market for people who dislike conflict.

You're clearly trying too hard to be confrontational, and since you have already green texted on a forum that isn't 3+1chan and said "mfw" I can't take you seriously any more. You seem to have taken personal offence that I don't like Civ V.

So you guys are playing civ4 and civ5, that's cool... Getting thread back on track...

Played some dota2 on lowest settings while I wait for my new gpu to arrive. It sucked.

salty, if you haven't played with g&k + bnw, it's so much better than the mess that was vanilla.

I've played with BNW and I still am not a fan. Just can't get to like it at all.

Anyway as suggested, let's get back on topic. I've been playing Third Age: Total War. Incredible mod from a talented and dedicated team. I can't bring myself to play evil factions though. I want to spread good, not hordes of Orcs, spiders and evil things!

Thread Title said:
What are you guys playing now?

which is good since nobody plays CivIV unmodded anyway.

I've been playing some Civ4 unmodded. Sure, mods can make for a nice variety, but it's a good game without mods, too.

I'm not personally interested in games that require modding to be good, and IMO that's the category that Civ5 falls into, at least compared to previous iterations of the series.

(This is on-topic since I have been playing Civ4)

Both I, my flatmate and my next-door neighbour have played unmodded Civ IV games, especially when we play multiplayer, as their laptops can't keep up with my PC.

On-topic, I recently started playing X-Com: Enemy Within for the first time (I've played Enemy Unknown, but not the expanded game).

I'm working my way through the new Tomb Raider and loving it. It's a lot longer than I expected and fun, good blend of exploring and combat.

When did you ever run serfdom instead of slavery or caste system in Civ IV? Oh right, never.

Just how OP was pyramids & representation over HR? <---------------------------------> Much x infinity.

How great were aggressive and protective traits? Oh right, they were the most underpowered.

How much did trying to get an early religion instead of worker techs cripple your economy at the start? Too much.

I built 5 cities on deity. And now I'm at 0% science slider and still on negative GPT, oh noes! Meanwhile the AI has 15-20 cities each with no problems. Awesome balance!

Civ IV was very good, but it probably had the worst balance flaws out of the entire series.

The city maintenance costs are exclusive to Civ IV yes. In all other Civ games, you weren't penalised so heavily based on number of cities, Civ IV was the only one where you could only have a pitiful number of cities of higher difficulties without going broke.

Also with the vastly reduced maintenance costs the AIs got, this further multiplied their production / gold / tech bonuses much more so than in other Civ games. The city maintenance thing was BS on Deity.

Have you played BNW? Having only 3-4 cities max is generally the best strategy unless you're going for domination.

Top Bottom