What Are You Listening To (Classical Version)?

Steve Reich - 'Music for 18 Musicians'

Link to video.

I first heard it at the Royal Festival Hall last October, with Steve himself on piano No. 4. The piece is non-stop for an hour (but not without variation), and was utterly marvellous. The hall was packed - not an empty seat. They didn't need a conductor (well, you shouldn't) and I don't even recall seeing anyone with any sheet music, although I've probably made that last bit up.

Very nice. :) The concept reminds me of a piano piece by Erik Satie, which was supposed to be repeated over and over. It actually was performed like that more than once in marathon sessions, which lasted for hours and hours, with alternating pianists. It sounds completely different though, and, unlike Reich's piece, really strains the listener; hence

Vexations

Link to video.

Ah, Vexations, yes. There was a performance in the States about thirty or forty years ago by a team of four pianists, working in shifts. One of the female performers did her shift topless because John Cage had bet her that she wouldn't do it.

[EDIT: Just checked - it wasn't in the States, it was in Berlin, in August 1966. The topless pianist was Charlotte Moorman. See note 21 here.]

Shostakovich' 10th Symphony - part 2 (Scherzo)
conducted by the charismatic Gustavo Dudamel

Link to video.
The symphony was published in 1953, after Stalin's death, and this movement is said to be a "musical portrait" of the former dictator...

I'm pretty sure the name of the thread refers to classical music in general, not just the time known as the classical period. Bach certainly qualifies as a classical music composer, although he composed in a Preclassic (aka Baroque) fashion.

@Randomnerd: which Fugue in G minor? :) The BWV1001?

Top Bottom