What Are You Listening To (Classical Version)?

Nah, that's a different one, it actually says so in the beginning of the video (BWV 578). :) My guess was just based on the fact that the particular fugue I meant is very well-known (even more so in the guitar world, which is why it was more of a hopeful guess rather than one based on an actual reason :D).

Here's the one I meant:

Link to video.

(played by a very good friend of mine, actually)
The original for violin is in G minor, although most of the guitar versions are in A minor.

Nah, that's a different one, it actually says so in the beginning of the video (BWV 578). :) My guess was just based on the fact that the particular fugue I meant is very well-known (even more so in the guitar world, which is why it was more of a hopeful guess rather than one based on an actual reason :D).

Here's the one I meant:

Link to video.

(played by a very good friend of mine, actually)
The original for violin is in G minor, although most of the guitar versions are in A minor.
Ah. Excuse my laziness. That's a very beautiful piece (as I would expect of any Bach fugue). Thanks for sharing. :)

Chopin's 11th Etude Op 10

Listening from a CD, but here's a randomly found and not really listened to youtube version:

Link to video.

I like it :)

Thank you. (I now went out and borrowed Ligeti's Continuum CD from the public library - it was the only one they had...) Actually I also was listening to some pieces by Otto Ketting, but couldn't find a video for any of them. :rolleyes:

The only Otto Ketting piece I know (and even attempted to play myself...):

Link to video.
The piece is often played on French horn as well. I have a live recording somewhere, played by Jacob Slagter, the solo hornist of the Concertgebouw Orchestra.

You play? :cooool: I have Ketting's Early Orchestral Works (1957-63) on loan, but no luck finding anything from it online.

I did (though I've no idea what a flugelhorn is...:blush: ). I like that name "Kempenbloei Achel", don't know why... ;)

Stravinsky, Apolloon musagète (never fails to move me). Opening score:

Link to video.

I did (though I've no idea what a flugelhorn is...:blush: ). I like that name "Kempenbloei Achel", don't know why... ;)
It's called "bugel" in Dutch. It's a brass instrument with he same range as a trumpet, but a much more mellow tone. Besides in "fanfare orchestras" (form of amateur orchestra typical for The Netherlands and Belgium, like a wind band in the US), it is also used in jazz music as a solo instrument. look for "Chuck Mangione" on youtube (I can't, because Youtube is blocked at work :( ). Russian classical trumpet star Sergei Nakariakov has also made some excellent CD recordings on the flugelhorn.

Top Bottom