What are you watching on YouTube now ?

I mean . . . can you blame him?

I'm a simple man. I see Al Pacino giving a speech. I click play.

Trafton Drew, Melissa L. H. Vo and Jeremy M. Wolfe had 24 radiologists look at CT scans of lungs, scanning them lung nodules, which could be cancerous. Each CT scan had an average of 10 nodules and the radiologists were asked to click on them. The last of the five CT scans had something unexpected turn up on the lung.
gorilla.png

Most radiologists, however, did not see him. When asked "Did you see a gorilla on the final trial?" 20 of the 24 radiologists tested said they did not. It wasn't for lack of looking. As the researchers write, in a forthcoming paper in Psychological Science, "eye-tracking revealed that, of the 20 radiologists who did not report the gorilla, 12 looked directly at the gorilla’s location when it was visible."

Trafton Drew, Melissa L. H. Vo and Jeremy M. Wolfe had 24 radiologists look at CT scans of lungs, scanning them lung nodules, which could be cancerous. Each CT scan had an average of 10 nodules and the radiologists were asked to click on them. The last of the five CT scans had something unexpected turn up on the lung.
View attachment 687695
Most radiologists, however, did not see him. When asked "Did you see a gorilla on the final trial?" 20 of the 24 radiologists tested said they did not. It wasn't for lack of looking. As the researchers write, in a forthcoming paper in Psychological Science, "eye-tracking revealed that, of the 20 radiologists who did not report the gorilla, 12 looked directly at the gorilla’s location when it was visible."
It's a happy gorilla, and it took me 2 seconds because I was focused on the turtle-Lovecraft pseudo-bust ^^
(of course if I was a radiologist, I easily could have missed it etc)

I was thinking that this common event of missing the weird/out of place signs, acquires a similar form and yet a different purpose in something like reading literature. Because there, more often than not, one will also focus on schemes and connections which are in the work, but on their own could not perhaps command one's attention if it's only granted under strict conditions of fitting one's already formed views.
A good example might be children's reaction to dark fairy tales. Children are known to refuse to identify things as metaphors, instead attributing to them their own spaces, distinct from the level of what they may symbolize or allude to. Eg we can imagine a child focusing on the large-scissors-wielding Taylor-fiend as not a symbol at all (moreover a symbol of something generally trite, such as a paragon or enforcer of conformism), but a threat from the shadows, an autonomous power and so on. The adult will yawn where the child may be horrified.
The event can become more comical - and more pronounced. Say that in the story the Taylor has something to tie him to a series, a connection which will be very bounded by its obvious meaning to those who got it, but can very well add to the mystique and multiplications of the nether-realm he supposedly hails from.

Last edited:
Top Bottom