What are your goals for 2024?

My goals:

- Go somewhere once a month. I don't mean traveling long distance to other cities and countries (well, I do want to do that, but it's unrealistic now), but somewhere in Vancouver I haven't yet gone before. That's pretty simple since I've gone nowhere in this city in a decade. But I need to spend more time outside my bubble, and now I am theoretically physically capable enough to manage that for a couple hours. I survived the constant traveling for healthcare from October to December, so I'd like to make an effort to go somewhere once a month, even if it's just to get there and then sit quietly for a half-hour before heading back.

- Watch more movies alone. Over the past couple years, most of my movie-watching has transitioned to being a friend activity. But this also means that I'm rarely watching a movie I actually want to see, since I'd rather ensure the other person/people are getting what they want. As a result, my personal watchlist is infinitely expanding. I'd like to knock that down a little this year. Or, hell, even if it's just rewatching movies, I'd like to do it more by myself. This is kind of a weird goal, since it inevitably boils down to socializing less, but still.

- Get my work back in order enough so I can afford medication again. Vague goal, but with a tangible target. Since my work has completely collapsed, meds were one of the first things to get rationed and then subsequently cut. It's been miserable. I need to start taking them again if I want any hope of continuing my physical rehab and not regressing.

- Continue vocal training. Repairing the damage wrought by being mute in my teens for a year and then only speaking IRL at doctors' appointments for over half a decade has been slow, and a lot of the time it feels like I'm making no progress. So this is a general goal of continuing work on fixing my voice. My enunciation and vocal control are terrible still, but there are moments where I sound okay and can generally navigate speech alright. Since I do work with my voice now, it's more important, but even just socially... I'd like to be able to participate without stumbling and failing.

That's probably a good enough starting point. There are other things I want to achieve/do, but the likelihood of succeeding is incredibly low. Stating them publicly might as well just be a cudgel. But if the third goal gets met, it does open those other things up. So I might return later in the year to add to my list.

All three in the same year? Is that actually possible? :think: The recovery for bottom surgery is pretty crazy, from what I've heard.

I am not sure if it is, but the bottom surgery I want is so-called "zero-depth" which has about half the recovery time as for the "usual" form of the surgery.
And frankly I'm pushing because I want to be done with it all before any new federal restrictions can possibly take effect - a red White House, House, and Senate could easily turn the US into a national version of Florida.

I am not sure if it is, but the bottom surgery I want is so-called "zero-depth" which has about half the recovery time as for the "usual" form of the surgery.
And frankly I'm pushing because I want to be done with it all before any new federal restrictions can possibly take effect - a red White House, House, and Senate could easily turn the US into a national version of Florida.

Totally fair and reasonable. Admittedly, my reservations are coloured by disability. Something as simple as gallbladder removal took me over three months to recover from, and I hear from able-bodied trans people that bottom surgery can easily take over a year to rebound from. That trifecta would probably put me in an iron lung. :lol: I hope you can get some kind of calm environment to recover in for a while. I can't imagine trying to keep up with work and responsibilities through all that.

Totally fair and reasonable. Admittedly, my reservations are coloured by disability. Something as simple as gallbladder removal took me over three months to recover from, and I hear from able-bodied trans people that bottom surgery can easily take over a year to rebound from. That trifecta would probably put me in an iron lung. :lol: I hope you can get some kind of calm environment to recover in for a while. I can't imagine trying to keep up with work and responsibilities through all that.
*nods* I do appreciate the thought. One close friend had the 'full' bottom surgery last summer (and was about 90% within a couple months) and I've talked to a few others about both full and zero depth, I'm expecting to not be able to do my work-at-home desk job for a solid 2-3 weeks but be relatively back to normal stuff within two months.

The FFS is about half of that, and the BA is practically outpatient nowadays. It's all up to the surgeon's schedule. Absolute worst case is, I go to Thailand in 2025 and pay for anything remaining out of pocket. :queen:

Me, living in a state with “Don’t Say Gay” laws and considered as bad as Florida while also having to go to an extremely religious school -
*nods* I do appreciate the thought. One close friend had the 'full' bottom surgery last summer (and was about 90% within a couple months) and I've talked to a few others about both full and zero depth, I'm expecting to not be able to do my work-at-home desk job for a solid 2-3 weeks but be relatively back to normal stuff within two months.

The FFS is about half of that, and the BA is practically outpatient nowadays. It's all up to the surgeon's schedule. Absolute worst case is, I go to Thailand in 2025 and pay for anything remaining out of pocket. :queen:
wait why Thailand?

Me, living in a state with “Don’t Say Gay” laws and considered as bad as Florida while also having to go to an extremely religious school -
*offers hugs*
wait why Thailand?
They've got a lot of surgeons there that are very experienced with gender-affirming surgeries, and are relatively inexpensive.

*offers hugs*

They've got a lot of surgeons there that are very experienced with gender-affirming surgeries, and are relatively inexpensive.
Alright, I’m booking a ticket to Thailand.

In 2019 I began paying a distributor for the privilege to be able to self release music commercially.

Last year I finally released one track.

This year I want moooore :mwaha:

In 2019 I began paying a distributor for the privilege to be able to self release music commercially.

A friend went through this process last year and hated every minute of it. :lol: Hope it goes better for you!

Nice. I might be releasing a parody of Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen soon.

1) See the eclipse this year. Clouds ruined the last one that was near me.
2) Replace my bedtime routine of watching youtube videos with a book.
3) Maybe buy a new car depending on how much the next inevitable repair bill is.
4) Get some more color in my wardrobe. Everything I own is some shade of gray, black, or blue

A friend went through this process last year and hated every minute of it. :lol: Hope it goes better for you!
What's there to hate?

- Get my work back in order enough so I can afford medication again.
I have a question that is sorta related to your work. I recently joined a fanfiction group on FB and have seen a few people post about the frustrations of not being able to find an affordable editor (the people who are either posting about original work or fanfic that they've changed sufficiently that they probably wouldn't get sued if they tried to publish it). I asked them what kind of fees are being asked, and was told upwards of $10,000. I don't know which currency that's in - probably USD.

Are they being quoted rates that are too high or normal? Someone else said they'd been quoted as high as $20k. I'm assuming the editing they want would go further than the "sort out the spelling and punctuation" kind.

I get the impression that some of these folks are young - late teens, early 20s or so, and it's entirely reasonable for them to point out that they don't have access to that kind of money at this point. though they're not opposed to paying a more affordable amount.

Do way more drugs

What's there to hate?

She kept getting denied by the distributor for various reasons, like too long of runtimes, even though they weren't. And they would always deny with a "you can't appeal this" add-on, even though they were in the wrong.

I have a question that is sorta related to your work. I recently joined a fanfiction group on FB and have seen a few people post about the frustrations of not being able to find an affordable editor (the people who are either posting about original work or fanfic that they've changed sufficiently that they probably wouldn't get sued if they tried to publish it). I asked them what kind of fees are being asked, and was told upwards of $10,000. I don't know which currency that's in - probably USD.

Are they being quoted rates that are too high or normal? Someone else said they'd been quoted as high as $20k. I'm assuming the editing they want would go further than the "sort out the spelling and punctuation" kind.

I get the impression that some of these folks are young - late teens, early 20s or so, and it's entirely reasonable for them to point out that they don't have access to that kind of money at this point. though they're not opposed to paying a more affordable amount.

$20k is absurd. $10k is in the upper echelons and the manuscript would need to be in pretty rough shape for it to cost that much with an experienced editor.

If they want people who charge less (<$2000), first-years in the editing associations are a good bet, or just editors who aren't a part of them at all and advertise totally solo. Author groups on Facebook tend to have a lot of editors who charge less, though YMMV on the quality of the editing as those groups are also populated by people who think editing is simply "I like catching typos as I read" and then hang up a shingle. I've never charged over $600 for a round of copyediting, but I'm at the very bottom of the totem pole and regularly make less than minimum wage.

ETA: I could see 10-20k as a total cost for all levels of editing put together, if the author for some reason wanted to go to such expense, with an experienced editor.

Last edited:
She kept getting denied by the distributor for various reasons, like too long of runtimes, even though they weren't. And they would always deny with a "you can't appeal this" add-on, even though they were in the wrong.

$20k is absurd. $10k is in the upper echelons and the manuscript would need to be in pretty rough shape for it to cost that much with an experienced editor.

If they want people who charge less (<$2000), first-years in the editing associations are a good bet, or just editors who aren't a part of them at all and advertise totally solo. Author groups on Facebook tend to have a lot of editors who charge less, though YMMV on the quality of the editing as those groups are also populated by people who think editing is simply "I like catching typos as I read" and then hang up a shingle. I've never charged over $600 for a round of copyediting, but I'm at the very bottom of the totem pole and regularly make less than minimum wage.

ETA: I could see 10-20k as a total cost for all levels of editing put together, if the author for some reason wanted to go to such expense, with an experienced editor.
Thank you. I assume your figures are CAD? Or is USD a standard? (I honestly don't know, since I've only ever dealt with Canadian students and other clients I got via word of mouth - and none of that was to do with fiction).

Next question: If I find that any of these people are earnestly seeking a qualified editor who wouldn't charge them the sun and moon but make it clear that they have to pay a reasonable rate, would you like me to mention you (as in "I know someone who is qualified...")? Or if you'd like to offer your services directly, I can let you know which group it is and you could see for yourself if there are any good prospects. I don't really know any of these people since I joined so recently. I am also not sure if the group rules would allow this. I can ask, as the admins there seem sincerely interested in seeing people succeed in what we're doing, whether it's original fiction or fanfic.

Thank you. I assume your figures are CAD? Or is USD a standard? (I honestly don't know, since I've only ever dealt with Canadian students and other clients I got via word of mouth - and none of that was to do with fiction).

Next question: If I find that any of these people are earnestly seeking a qualified editor who wouldn't charge them the sun and moon but make it clear that they have to pay a reasonable rate, would you like me to mention you (as in "I know someone who is qualified...")? Or if you'd like to offer your services directly, I can let you know which group it is and you could see for yourself if there are any good prospects. I don't really know any of these people since I joined so recently. I am also not sure if the group rules would allow this. I can ask, as the admins there seem sincerely interested in seeing people succeed in what we're doing, whether it's original fiction or fanfic.

USD is the standard, so that's what I charge as well. It works well nowadays with the exchange rate. Of course, if I work with a Canadian who uses e-Transfer, then I convert to CAD when invoicing.

Generally, groups like that either have a dedicated second group for ads or a total ban. I wouldn't mind joining to give advice and not advertise (I'm a part of a couple "writers asking editors for advice" groups), though I'm not much of a fanfic writer, really. I can also PM you my website to pass along. I don't mind doxxing myself; my web presence is interconnected at this point, with pretty extreme overlap.

Which distributor did she use?

I want to negotiate an amnesty with the library over the books I checked out in 2012 and get my privileges restored.

Top Bottom