What do you miss the most from Civ4?

What do you miss the most from Civ4BTS?

• Total voters
The Research Tree Layout- There are only slightly less techs available in vanilla versions. Not a lot to miss.

It's not the quantity of techs. In Civ 4 you had multiple ways to get some techs. Civ 5 tech tree is linear (like they were in Civs 1-2-3), and I think this is a considerable step back in the series...

Cheers!

Mad Hab

It was Soooo not fair to read that last poll option and then I had to vote with my heart.

If it was a multiple choice poll with just the gameplay options I would have voted for a lot though... the victory conditions, technology system, AI, and diplomacy are all sorely missed here.

Seriously, why are all these polls single choice polls? The results would be far more interesting to read if

1) This is divided to two polls, one with game mechanics and the other with aesthetics.
2) For each feature there'd be an option to either miss it or to be happy it's gone.

My .02$.

Seriously, why are all these polls single choice polls? The results would be far more interesting to read if

1) This is divided to two polls, one with game mechanics and the other with aesthetics.
2) For each feature there'd be an option to either miss it or to be happy it's gone.

My .02$.

I debated making it multiple select, but I saw a scenario where some overly critical people would just check everything without thought. I wanted to know what people really really missed; I wanted them to put some thought into it - I didn't want to inspire anyone to hate everything ;)

Right now it might be vassals - and that's not even an option!

Oh damn - that is a really good one. Ok, at this point I regret not putting Civics and Vassals on the list.

I debated making it multiple select, but I saw a scenario where some overly critical people would just check everything without thought. I wanted to know what people really really missed; I wanted them to put some thought into it - I didn't want to inspire anyone to hate everything ;)

I understand your position but just don't share it. I don't remember what sort poll options this site has though so maybe an ideal poll isn't even possible.

I do have one more critic towards the poll as it is: I really don't think that AI should be on the list as no matter how negative I'm towards Civ5 I don't believe that crappy AI is an intended feature of the game.

P.S. I voted for religion.

I understand your position but just don't share it.
Fair enough! :)

I don't remember what sort poll options this site has though so maybe an ideal poll isn't even possible.
In terms of limiting options there are 2 settings: pick one option, or pick as many options as you want. It would have been interesting if, say, I could limit people to 3 or 5 choices - I probably would have done that.

I do have one more critic towards the poll as it is: I really don't think that AI should be on the list as no matter how negative I'm towards Civ5 I don't believe that crappy AI is an intended feature of the game.

Humm... Interesting. You have a good point there. I wonder how it would have changed the stats, and I also wonder how many people would have posted in the thread that there should have been an AI option...

I voted for endgame win movies ( looser videos would be nice too :) ) its just lame, to get a popup picture and two lines of text :(

Post game graphs and replay are other features I miss.

Wonder movies - well IMHO the ones from Civ 2 are better then those from Civ 4

AI - is indeed crappy in Civ 5 - but was the one from Civ 4 really good ? - I just want a good AI, not exactly the one from Civ 4.

Tech tree - well, it don`t have to be a copy of Civ 4 - but some things in the new tech tree don`t make sence - Infantry without riffle or flight and oilpowered destroyers without combustion ?

Religion, nice feature in general, but not very well implemented in Civ 4. Having 5 different religions in one city and building 5 temples for them make your people more happy then just have one religion and one temple ? And even if you have a theocraty ? Not so in the real world ...

Some features I like more in Civ V - Hexes, no more stacks, no more road spamming - so i wouldn`t say every aspect of Civ 5 is worse, just some. ;)

Edit: Ah, but there is an other thing I miss from Civ4 BtS - the quests. O.K., here you can do something for the city-states, but that is somehow not the same.

Good question!

- 1UPT
- strategic resource limits
- social policies
- natural wonders
- barbarian encampments instead of random spawning
- zones of control
- empire wide happiness (The civ V system that keeps ICS to a minimum)
- city- states
- cities being able to bombard enemies
- puppet governments in conquered cities (this was a great addition)
- ranged units actually firing at range
- nuclear missiles being able to completely destroy a city (instead of just reducing it to one population)
- diplomacy features (research agreements, pacts of cooperation and secrecy, "do not build near my border")
- the advisors (not necessary, but fun. I loved them in II)

There may be more, but that's a quick list.

And what is it about Civ4 that you wish someone would Mod into Civ5?

City Specific Happiness Management for me. Its not like i love it or something. I just dont like what happend in civ V when its gone.

What about adding Global Resolutions from the United Nations to the list? One of the features that kept things fun into the late game on CivIV, now the UN is solely a way to coast to a diplo victory...

Civ4 has a lot of SMAC aspects to it, basically player centric concepts that the AI can't handle or can't handle well, are sort of pointless or adds very little to the game, but fans cite as adding depth.

One such aspect is Relgion, as implemented, its a dilpmatic crutch and completely broken. The AI spreads it, has some rules it follow on how to handle it, but it never really understands it.

The other thing is the UN resolutions. False sense of power.

What about adding Global Resolutions from the United Nations to the list? One of the features that kept things fun into the late game on CivIV, now the UN is solely a way to coast to a diplo victory...

I dont think there is a way to edit the poll. Do you know of one?

A lot, probably 15+ things. Most of all, I can sum it up that I miss fun, "one-more turn" Civ play.

Sure, nothing is stopping us from playing Civ IV. But we've been playing it for 5 years and we were looking forward to having a FUN NEW version of Civ to play. Its ridiculous when the prospect of playing the 5-year-old game sounds more fun than firing up a new game of Civ 5, but thats kinda where I am now. I haven't played a game of Civ 5 in over a week, and sadly have zero desire to do so.

LOL at people who miss the BTS 3.19 joketastic AI.

I'd say I missed the diplomacy screens, but their inaccuracy and under-the-covers type of BS makes me miss them less (that diplo system is just as bad as this one that hides stuff from you, which is awful).

So what I miss the most is the ability to review how the game went at the end and watch the empire grow...why was that removed???

several things i miss are:
Good computer enemies
(even though it isnt realistic) border culture battles
cities having individual hapiness
faster turns
a way of actually knowing what it is you have done wrong to upset a computer and be able to correct it. (this is my number 1)

Top Bottom