• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

What do you think of Halloween?

What do you think of Halloween?

• I really like it

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • It's a good excuse for a party

Votes: 16 32.0%
  • It's fun for kids

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • It's a good excuse to annoy people

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • I've grown out of it

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • I don't care either way

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • I really don't like it

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • It's just a commercial thing

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • I disapprove on religious grounds

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • I just disapprove (please say why)

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • What is this Halloween of which you speak?

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Other (please state)

Votes: 4 8.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
....by your definition.
I don't care about anyone else's definition. If I did then it would be my definition. Also I don't think you need the state to deem if a holiday is a holiday. You can celebrate anything you feel like celebrating and call that a holiday. Take St. Patrick's day for example, that is not a public holiday here in Britain but people sure love to celebrate it.

Originally posted by MrPresident
I don't care about anyone else's definition. If I did then it would be my definition. Also I don't think you need the state to deem if a holiday is a holiday. You can celebrate anything you feel like celebrating and call that a holiday. Take St. Patrick's day for example, that is not a public holiday here in Britain but people sure love to celebrate it.

You really should have used the :rant: smily.

By your precedent, I define that the game played with the round ball by the likes of Beckham and Pele be called "soccer".

By your precedent, I define that the game played with the round ball by the likes of Beckham and Pele be called "soccer".
Go ahead. You are wrong. But go ahead.
You really should have used the smily.
I try to refine my using smilies. I like people to be not sure if I am joking or being serious. That is the only way they will learn. That and by some sort of futuristic uploading thingy that plugs straight into your brain.

Originally posted by Ozz
Miss a chance to dress up & party? It isn't just about handing
candy to kids. New year's comes off second best to halloween.
I've never needed an excuse to dress up in a wacky costume and harass neighbours before, why should I now? Also I often give candy to small children :evil:. And nothing beats new years. Except maybe muck up day, but that only happens once.

They should (rightfully) have played a trick of you. In light of
yer attitude in believe the old turned on garden hose down
the chimney would be approprate.
Nonsense. There is no halloween in Australia. No tradition of tricking and treating. I should have set those kids on fire, that would've learned them. Friggin kids bringing stupid american traditions to my country. :rant:

Anyway, they would have had a hard time getting up onto my roof with a hose. And why would they do that anyway? What possible reason would they have to pour water down the chimney? It would probably break the water restrictions too.

I recall a Halloween night in Perth, there was a large number of young children parading about, requesting free lollies (candy). That was cute, I got into the spirit and passed out the loot.

Then, a group of angst-ridden teens approached my door, eggs in hand and demanded that I provide them with sustenance, otherwise they would egg my car.

I raised the BB gun I had been shooting at my little brother and hit the egg one of them had in his hand. There followed cries of 'Careful, you could take out an eye.' to which I replied 'If I wanted to take out your eye, you'd still have your egg.'

It's just harmless fun.

Thanks stormerne for the educational lesson. What does it prove, just that most people don't care what something means as long as it's good for me.

If was just the 4 and 5 years olds dressed up in cute costumes I would be at my front door handing out all kinds of candy and chips, but it isn't. (crisps for the Brits)

Rewarding 12 year old kids who dress up like "Jason" from Friday the thirteenth, Bin Lauden or some other mass murderer is not my idea of raising kids. I can't wait till some kid comes to my door with a rifle saying he is the conveniece killer with his 3 year old brother as his step-son.

As for me and my kids, we stay out of it. many years ago I started to create a treasure hunt in the house and in the back yard for my kids. Follow the clue's, work out the puzzles and get a sack full of candies as you go. They love it. The only problem was as they got older I had to work harder to keep the clues from being too easy for them.

All saints night or a night of evil, it makes no reason why we have it, just what we do with it.

Like I said, as long as it works for me.

Top Bottom