• In anticipation of the possible announcement of Civilization 7, we have decided to already create the Civ7 forum. For more info please check the forum here .

What Does the "Seed" Do?

manooly

Warlord
I am a Civ3 noob. Each time I start a new game I leave the seed at zero. Should I be changing this at all? I want a new random map each time I play. I thought that Civ3 would do this by itself. Tell me more about the "seed", what it does and what are its limits please. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks for your time!

The seed is the "starting point" for the random number generator when you generate a map. If all the climate contitions, etc. are the same, if you enter the same seed number you'll get the exact same map.

So, each time I start a new game, I should enter a different number in the Seed box then right? What is the limit to the seed (how many digits)?

No if you leave it at zero it generates for you. When you reach the limit it will stop,

OK, now I am confused. Are you saying that if I leave the Seed at zero, the game will generate a random number for me? So, I do not have to enter a seed then if I leave it at zero right? Now, what do you mean when you say "When you reach the limit it will stop"? What limit? Sorry for all of the questions, but I really want to understand this.

If you enter a seed number then you will get the map associated with that number. If you leave it blank then the game will generate a map based on your preferences for that game. I think the number limit is 8 or 9. I'm on a different computer and can't be sure.

OK, so, if I leave the seed alone at zero then a different random map will be generated each time I start with the same preferences? The game generates a random map no matter what preferences you have set as long as you leave the seed at zero right?

Yes that is correct. It obviously won't be the exact same map but all the characteristics you want will be there. Another thing, if you really like the map you are playing and don't know the seed number, go to the play the last world feature and look at the seed number it will be for that map.

Then the seed is really only there if you want to generate the same map right? If I enter "123456" in the seed box, with the same preferences each time, I'll get the same map each time right?

If you enter 123456 then you will get that map, regardless of what your preferences are. Each map has a different seed number. 123456 may be a huge map with continents, and you really wanted a small map with pangea.

The play the last world is on the start page it only appears if you have just played a game and restarted. Otherwise it isn't there. If you start a game and exit out look at the top above new game. It should be there.

If you enter 123456 then you will get that map, regardless of what your preferences are. Each map has a different seed number. 123456 may be a huge map with continents, and you really wanted a small map with pangea.

No. You will get the same map if and only if you have the same preferences. 123456 with a large hot arid 5 bill pangaea always generates the same map, but if you make it large cool wet and 3 bill pangaea, with seed 123456, the map will be different.

I've actually tried to do that, when I did I got a map completely different from what my preferences were.

Using the same seed number, there are a few things you can change and still get the same map, but certain other items must be the same. To get the same map you must use the same size (like huge), same wetness (like arid), same temperature (like warm), same land mass (like continents), same number of opponents.

You can change the difficulty level, barbarian settings, aggression level.

You CAN change the civ you want to play and your opponents, but (and this is an important "but") you must have exactly the same number of seafaring civs and in the exact same order as your original map. Since seafaring civs always start on a coast, one more or less or in a different order will change starting positions and even map shape if you add or subtract a seafaring start. For example, you could change England to the Byzantines, but you can NOT change England to the Romans.

Wait, someone said that the RNG will stop generating maps when it reaches the limit. Does that mean if you play enough games, you won't be able to play Civ III anymore?

"When you reach the limit it will stop"? What limit? Sorry for all of the questions, but I really want to understand this.

Wait, someone said that the RNG will stop generating maps when it reaches the limit. Does that mean if you play enough games, you won't be able to play Civ III anymore?

Misunderstanding all around! :crazyeye:

The question asked: "what is the maximum number of digits I can enter in the seed #no input box?"

The answer: "when the maximum number of digits has been typed, more digits will stop being added, no matter how many more times you hit a number key on your keyboard."

@axehaxe: No, it's about the max number of digits. And even if it was so.... I'm pretty sure you won't be able to play 9999999 games in your lifetime (assuming it has max 7 digits, don't remember how many it actually has).

I actually think a seed it picked at random, so theoretically, you could end up with the same map twice in a row.

Top Bottom