• In anticipation of the possible announcement of Civilization 7, we have decided to already create the Civ7 forum. For more info please check the forum here .

What God wants:

God probably wants people to stop praying to him. He wouldn't be able to cope with stress.

The stress is probably mitigated by the reliance on "God works in mysterious ways" meme... ;)

God doesn't want; God is. People want.

God doesn't want; God is. People want.

Some Budhists don't in fact that's the basis of the religion, to break free from the bonds of desire. Some have even managed to do it too.

Seems to me the world would be a better place without so much want, but what can you do?

not want?

:hammer2:

Some Budhists don't in fact that's the basis of the religion, to break free from the bonds of desire. Some have even managed to do it too.

Seems to me the world would be a better place without so much want, but what can you do?

Want less. Wanting is all about "ego"; to "want less" is to want less for oneself.

Make the "doing [to the best of your ability]" more important than the outcome.

Be kinder to the people around you.

not want?

Very difficult; too difficult to do in anything but small steps. Or you coud take this approach:
SMAC said:
Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators the creator seeks--those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest.

Friedrich Nietzsche
"Thus Spoke Zarathustra"
;)

3 pages, and noone has posted this? I'm dissapointed. :nono:

SMAC said:
Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators the creator seeks--those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest.

Friedrich Nietzsche
"Thus Spoke Zarathustra"

Take it as axiomatic that God exists (I don't want to debate about that here). What does (would) he want? As I understand it, Christians have a pretty specific list of stuff that God wants. Atheists might have their own ideas about what a good should want, and agnostics could have their ideas about what God might want. I also expect some of the stuff that different major religions believe their Gods want could also be discussed here. Even liberal and conservative Christians might have some stuff to talk about.

I don't have much of an opening statement. I might start composing one, but until then, feel free to talk of the will of God, hypothetical or otherwise.
I'm sorry but to me talking about what god wants it's like talking about what Frodo from Lord Of The Ring wants or what the tooth fairy wants.

I'm an athiest - I don't have ideas about what a 'good' god might want because I don't belive such god exists, and talking about it hypothetically always seems to be a way for christians to try and score points.

Want less. Wanting is all about "ego"; to "want less" is to want less for oneself.

Make the "doing [to the best of your ability]" more important than the outcome.

Be kinder to the people around you.

This is something I do or try to do, but I was of course referring to those who see it differently and their own selfish gain is more important than moral issues. These people sadly are more common than the general good guys out there. But as I said what can you do except hope that you do the right thing, and maybe it'll rub off? Considering the amount of want in the world though, I don't think this sort of mentallity is likely to become popular.

This is something I do or try to do, but I was of course referring to those who see it differently and their own selfish gain is more important than moral issues. These people sadly are more common than the general good guys out there. But as I said what can you do except hope that you do the right thing, and maybe it'll rub off? Considering the amount of want in the world though, I don't think this sort of mentallity is likely to become popular.
It doesn't have to become popular, just more frequent and then some of life's ills will be lessened.

1. For us all to love one another
2. For us to be peaceful with one another
3. For us to be genorus with one another
4. For us to worship him
5. Chocolate:lol: jk

It doesn't have to become popular, just more frequent and then some of life's ills will be lessened.

That'd be the dream, but I'm not seeing it happening, perhaps we are just not ready for such enlightened thinking? Perhaps Jesus came three thousand years too early, because I'm pretty sure no one was ready for that message through out history to the present day. It's considered weak or pacifistic or liberal or stupid, to do the right thing sometimes, I just wish that such moronic thinking wasn't so prevelant, and I didn't see such thinking so often.

EDIT: and I'm not solely refering to here, in fact I'd say in general most people here are a little more enlightened or moralistic than average, just looking at lifestyles in general in my experience.

nothing. if you're omnipotent then you already have what you want.

That'd be the dream, but I'm not seeing it happening, perhaps we are just not ready for such enlightened thinking? Perhaps Jesus came three thousand years too early, because I'm pretty sure no one was ready for that message through out history to the present day. It's considered weak or pacifistic or liberal or stupid, to do the right thing sometimes, I just wish that such moronic thinking wasn't so prevelant, and I didn't see such thinking so often.

EDIT: and I'm not solely refering to here, in fact I'd say in general most people here are a little more enlightened or moralistic than average, just looking at lifestyles in general in my experience.
More frequent is just one extra kindness a day somewhere. That is not too much to ask. Don't look to see it happening. Just add one to what you do and forget the rest.

Just to clarify, i dont think any agnostics have any idea of what god wants.

If you do, you cant take the agnostic stance.

Just to clarify, i dont think any agnostics have any idea of what god wants.

If you do, you cant take the agnostic stance.

au contraire, we can duck and weave into all spheres, it's just that we don't necessarily support them. I did say that Agnosticism will not give you a better moral grounding than atheism, but then I'm not an idiot and am not bound by my beliefs to consider only one option, because I accept that I don't know I can consider all spheres. And athesits or theists aren't bound either, although sometimes it might seem they are.

Top Bottom