What Music are You Listening To? - 67, the Summer of Love

Swedish synthpop;

@EgonSpengler?
Not familiar with this one. :goodjob:

People in the YouTube comments keep mentioning a movie, And Then We Danced (2019), which I've never heard of before. 94% Rotten Tomatoes; 68 Metacritic. And evidently it tweaked the knuckleheads, so it at least has that going for it. :lol:

Not familiar with this one. :goodjob:

People in the YouTube comments keep mentioning a movie, And Then We Danced (2019), which I've never heard of before. 94% Rotten Tomatoes; 68 Metacritic. And evidently it tweaked the knuckleheads, so it at least has that going for it. :lol:

This piece is just amazing. Enjoy!

A little '80s nostalgia with my morning coffee. "Don't Stop the Dance" (1985) by Bryan Ferry and "One Things Leads to Another" (1983) by The Fixx.

"Time to Love, Time to Kill", Morgan Wade

That restaurant we were gonna visit, it's for sale
Time waits for no man, baby
Time can go to hell
I miss you on Tuesdays
Our evening drives
I'm on the highway alone and I just close my eyes

More looking back on younger days. Did I have a nü metal phase in the '90s? I did. I went to see The Genitorturers live and I don't regret it. Does any of it hold up today? Eh... Not as much as other genres, but there are some I still like to listen to once in a while. "Loco" (1996) by Coal Chamber and "Not Falling" (2002) by Mudvayne.

RIP Richard Tandy, keyboardist and guitarist for Electric Light Orchestra, age 76.

"Mister Blue Sky" (1977). If you're not a '70s rock aficionado, you might've heard this song in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind or Guardians of the Galaxy, vol. 2, among other things.

Listening to this again

It's an interesting song in it's own right mainly because despite being a gospel-ish ballad Jackson forgoes the straight singing in favour of his weird mix of eccentric gulps, growls and shoutiness. Which somehow ends up working, if not altogether imbuing the song with a peculiar character of its own.

Towards the end the song devolves into a seemingly chaotic back-and-forth between Jackson and the accompanying Andraé Crouch choir. There's a lot going on, but what I noticed for the first time are some heavenly vocals in the background demurely doing their own thing amidst the noisy chaos. I was sure it was Siedah Garret, the writer of the song, who also sings backing vocals in the start (and also featured in a duet with Michael Jackson in another song).

So I went about looking for a video that had just her vocals. Couldn't find one, but I did the find the original demo she sent to Michel Jackson. It's all Garrett here, she's no Michael Jackson of course, but she's definitely a very good singer, and the demo's a gentler and sweeter version of the noisier final version. And sure enough there are those heavenly harmonies in the ending half-minute

I could listen to an entire song with just those harmonies as the chorus

If you like middle of the road music, I suspect that youtube algorithms will suggest more of the same.
But, if you like weird music, it suggests even weirder stuff until sometimes it's even too weird for me.
YMMV.

Top Bottom