Which albums have you purchased recently?

Do you buy albums?

• Yes! I buy mp3 albums!

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Yes! I buy CD albums!

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Yes! I buy vinyl albums!

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Yes! I buy cassette albums!

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Yes! I buy some other format of albums!

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • No! Singles are the best!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No! I just stream all my favorite songs

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters
cat.png

cuz it's been years

The poll doesn't mention 8-track tapes - I have one. It's an audio recording that includes one of William Shatner's appearances at a Star Trek convention in the early '70s, when ST conventions were a new thing.
I considered that option, but they don't seem to be part of the vintage music revival to any appreciable extent. And just having one doesn't necessarily meet the "purchased recently" threshold.

Although I do know of a place that you can buy them locally... whether they sell in any volume is unknown.
Yes, this thread's poll doesn't give enough credit to streaming as a way of discovering and enjoying albums. I have been able to expand my familiarity with the influential music of the 50s-70s by streaming albums which I would never have considered had I needed to go out and find them on CD etc.

That said I am also one of those pricks who still buy vinyl. Agree with @Fippy that half the fun is watching them spin, particularly if you get one in a funky colour :D Most recent one I got was "Everyone was a Bird" by the electronic folk (?) duo Grasscut.
It all comes down to the "purchased recently" - you're right, Spotify-style streaming where you can just play a whole album can be a good way to listen to music you haven't heard previously. But it's also not as direct of a way of supporting your favorite bands and their album-centric releases.

Although part of it also is my own streaming biases, in that most of my streaming has been via Pandora, which at least when I was a subscriber didn't have a way of listening to a whole album. Still useful for discovering new singles, but I've comes to appreciate the benefits of albums in recent years... at least for bands where most of the album is good and not just two or three songs.

I'm up to five albums purchased this year, the most in a long time. Only one of them, from a local surf rock band, is from within the past decade. But as a fan of '80s and to a somewhat lesser extent '70s and 2000's music, that isn't surprising to me.

Aphrodite's Child - 666

The last album I downloaded was 69 Love Songs by The Magnetic Fields

Top Bottom