What Native American tribe do you expect/want?

Which Native American tribe do you expect/want?

• Total voters
Sioux (civ II sentiment) with 'early game is everything' attitude.
UA << Happy Hunting Ground >> Cities can move 1 tile per turn before classical era; :c5culture: culture cost of acquiring new tiles reduced by 25% in all cities
UU: Sioux Scout with 3 movement and half cost
UB: Tipi (replacing granary) with any kind of raw extra bonus :)c5food:/:c5production:/:c5faith:)

I would love to see truely nomadic civ, while scouts might be good on Pangaea to become a leader of World Congress.

I would prefer them to be called 'Sioux Tribe' than 'Sioux Empire'... It's probably not gonna happen though.

their unique unit should instead be a cavalry replacement; 25% bonus vs. mounted units

I'm hoping for the Inuits, particularly.

Same, especially if they get some decent things going on with tundra/snow/ice.

Haida, maybe, representing a conglomeration of the W/NW North American tribes like the Iroquois do.

If Pueblo isn't happening, maybe the Navajo could represent the southwestern tribes.

If Pueblo isn't happening, maybe the Navajo could represent the southwestern tribes.

I favor the Comanche or the Apache over the Navajo. They were fierce warriors that put up hell of a fight in Manifest Destiny.

They weren't settled, though. I know that's not a mandatory requirement, but it makes it more difficult. City-lists are unavailable, for example. They're basically the Huns 2.0.

The thing that makes nomadic Native Americans a bit more easy than the Huns is that there are members still alive and if they want to, they will tell you the names of the places that they set up camp at, or at least the English names. Firaxis doesn't have to use battle sites or islands or the name stealing trick for nomadic NAs.

I just think there isn't as much variety there. It's a nomadic, raider, horse civilization. The Navajo are interesting precisely because they are peaceful.

I agree that there isn't much variety among the nomadic Native Americans. You wouldn't want both the Comanche and the Sioux. But I think that a horses based Native American culture could stand out against the Mongols and Huns.

For one, they had a spiritual connection to their environment that gets played up quite a bit more than the Mongols or Huns. Secondly, they didn't really raid to expand their borders like the Mongols and Huns. They raided to drive off people they saw as intruders in their territory. Thirdly, neither the Huns nor the Mongols are portrayed in the game as trading empires. The Mongols could get changed up in favor of a connection to the Silk Road, but I doubt it. A group like the Comanche could get a trade route bonus of some sort.

So a nomadic Native American group could get a terrain-based culture bonus and play a bit of a turtle game while having mounted units, and if Comanche, they could have a trade bonus revolving around horses. I think that would set them apart from the other horse-based civs well enough.

I just think there isn't as much variety there. It's a nomadic, raider, horse civilization. The Navajo are interesting precisely because they are peaceful.

That was my thinking too. Apache and Comanche are fine and all, but other civs have their characteristics already and I feel like the Native American civs should be different enough from each other to allow other play styles. For example, the Navajo could be cultural/religious, with a blanket weaver UB, and a 15% reduction in enemy spy effeciency from a UA code talking.

I have to admit I was looking at the possible civilization with my Civ warmongering glasses on but I do think a more peaceful, spiritual tribe like the Navajo can be possible as well. It just depends on the direction fireaxis wants to take it. I'm a little ignorant on the Pueblo; what category would they fall under: peaceful or aggressive? Or both?

I have to admit I was looking at the possible civilization with my Civ warmongering glasses on but I do think a more peaceful, spiritual tribe like the Navajo can be possible as well. It just depends on the direction fireaxis wants to take it. I'm a little ignorant on the Pueblo; what category would they fall under: peaceful or aggressive? Or both?

I believe conventional opinion is both. There were apparently a largely peaceful people earlier in their time (i'm not sure how much i agree with this), but later after climatic and agricultural changes for the worse and an influx of immigration to their region they began creating fortified settlements on top of mesas and there are more indications of warfare.

I would say that something that could identify them would be a defensive warring strategy rather than offensive.

Cherokee, no contest. Their achievements outclass all the others tenfold.

How so? They wouldn't make the top 10 of my most important Native American tribes in the Americas (but then again few in the US would make it :lol:)

It was, but unfortunately, there wouldn't be any way to include them that wasn't Rome-centric. We know very little about their society that doesn't come to us through the Romans. As important a power as they were in their time, their legacy today consists primarily of the Punic Wars. And since their debut in Civ II, that has been the focus. Hannibal was the leader right up until Civ V, even though he was not much of a ruler when he came to power and is only famous because he caused so much fear to the Romans on the battlefield. And in Civ V they switched the leader to Dido, but then, as you say, gave them a UU and a UA straight from the Punic Wars. I think we can safely say the Punic Wars are the only reason Carthage has ever been in a Civ game.

But they have Phoenician heritage.... :rolleyes:

Honestly, just throw in a NA tribe that offers the most unique gameplay we have see up until this point. Probably some migrating aspect, or something. Not just a unique resource. Considering the "mohawk" unit, it probably isn't a plains tribe, unless that is an OP scout replacement or something.

How about adding the Muscogee Creek Indians. A friend of mine is one. Probably the last one. Hopefully not though. :)

How about adding the Muscogee Creek Indians. A friend of mine is one. Probably the last one. Hopefully not though. :)

The Creek were part of the "5 Civilized Tribes" They were descended from the Mississippian culture along with the Seminoles, Choctaw, and Chickasaw. If we have any hope of a Mississippian civ it would pretty much have to be through one of those 4 groups that speak Muskogean dialects.

The Fifth "Civilized Tribe" is the Cherokee, which we have thoroughly discussed. They are Iroquoian rather than Muskogean.

Any of those 5 would make for an interesting civ.

Well let's go out of the box with speculation... :crazyeye:
What if they've designed a way to actually represent a nomadic culture? Move-able cities or something. It'd jive with the "Pro"-civ speculation we got from that translated German article.

I think anything could conceivably jive with the "Pro" Civ because that term is so vague to have no meaning whatsoever without context.

What is this "Pro" Civ being mentioned?

Top Bottom