What Video Games Have You Been Playing? Eight times I've died...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to fire up Carrier Command again (the 2012 remake, not the 1988 original) and I forgot how fun the game can be despite all the bugs it has. I think it's the puzzle-solving approach towards real-time strategy the game takes that makes it refreshing to play. Trying to efficiently dismantle each individual island's defenses with the extremely limited resources at your disposal while simultaneously engaging in this cat-and-mouse duel with the enemy carrier and trying to defend your own islands makes for a unique experience and is something I wish we'd see more from the strategy genre.

EDIT: Playing it again also makes me realize that the world really could use more naval-themed strategy games.

Finally, FINALLY having success as Carthage! (Rome II). I lured the Syracusan army and garrison out into a field battle and integrated their city into my state. I wanted to play peacefully while building up my economy, but Rome declared war against me for my daring maneuvers on Sicily. So I trounced the Roman army and garrison at Cosentia (calabria) and liberated Lucania, bringing a new ally into my fight with Rome. Now I've got two large armies on the border of Taras (Apulia) readying themselves for battle. The Roman navy was recently defeated (at some cost) so my own navy will blockade the city in the winter. Unfortunately, it's guarded by a veteran stack of mostly principes and a sizable city garrison, while another Roman army musters to the north to come to their aid. It shouldn't be a problem if my new allies help out, but if not my armies might be in a pickle.

I got Hearts of Iron IV on Friday and I think I already played like 22 hours? Send help I'm totally helpelessly addicted to this game

Like I'm sitting here pissed off that I have to be at work for another like 8 hours

I got Hearts of Iron IV on Friday and I think I already played like 22 hours? Send help I'm totally helpelessly addicted to this game

Like I'm sitting here pissed off that I have to be at work for another like 8 hours

Jelly. I fundamentally don't understand how to do well at that game.

Granted, I refused to play anyone else besides Poland, but still! I couldn't even win while cheating! I just don't get it.

Jelly. I fundamentally don't understand how to do well at that game.

Oh neither do I, really. Well I mean, I'm on my third game. I played 2 games in the 1936 scenario. But the first time I quit because in like 1942 the British landed in Northern Germany and I didn't have anything to stop them from basically taking everything over. The Italians overran and occupied France. It was kind of funny. Had no real idea what I was doing. So naturally being me I upped the difficulty for another try, and this time I did mostly everything right, I even smashed France myself with a mobile attack out of the Ardennes, taking Paris on like the fifth day of the war.
But then in like 1944 when I finally felt ready to invade the USSR I couldn't defeat 6 infantry divisions with a concentration of 22 panzer and motorized divisions, and while all that was going on Republican Spain took over almost all of France and Germany without me noticing so I quit that one too. Now playing the 1939 scenario, I smashed Poland really bad and took over Denmark, and I'm preparing the "Around Maginot" thing so I can invade the Low Countries on the way to France.

In case it was unclear I'm playing as the Germans.

Hoping to try the 1936 scenario again when I'm good enough at the game. I think a Moscow-Berlin alliance might be the way to go, so I can focus on a naval buildup and actually invade Britain.

That's exactly the problem I faced. My troops, no matter how many I had or what I did in terms of defense (even creating a giant fortification line across Poland), would just get obliterated. Get attacked by an armoured division and a couple infantry? That shouldn't be a problem, I've got over fifteen divisions to handle it. Nope. Crushed. Rinse and repeat.

After a while I got so annoyed that I started a game and cheated in enough resources to just create a giant line of 50+ divisions on each district. Still crushed.

I don't get the combat mechanics. I really don't.

That's exactly the problem I faced. My troops, no matter how many I had or what I did in terms of defense (even creating a giant fortification line across Poland), would just get obliterated. Get attacked by an armoured division and a couple infantry? That shouldn't be a problem, I've got over fifteen divisions to handle it. Nope. Crushed. Rinse and repeat.

After a while I got so annoyed that I started a game and cheated in enough resources to just create a giant line of 50+ divisions on each district. Still crushed.

I don't get the combat mechanics. I really don't.

Did you edit your division compositions? The starting compositions of your divisions are laughably weak. You have to add more battalions for them to compete effectively especially as the game years go on. I suspect this was my problem in my second playthrough. I also suspect there's some logistics stuff I'm not getting because the battles were like 3 of my 22 divisions against all 6 of the enemy ones, and since each Soviet division was a lot stronger than each of my divisions, the result was predictable. What I couldn't figure out was how to increase the number of my divisions engaged, since I made sure to put infrastructure level 10 in all the Polish states.

My troops were actually holding the line perfectly fine, it was just that I couldn't get anywhere when I attacked. I started the war in August 1944 and by October I hadn't moved the border forward one inch (and Spain was occupying Germany so I just quit).

The tutorial didn't mention anything about editing compositions. :dunno: What's the point? What prevents you from just maxing out the battalions?

I just won my first Stellaris game. :D On Ironman mode as well. I don't know what the point of Fallen Empires are. Even at my height I could probably take on one of their fleets, and they did nothing all game except give me free energy one time. Which is fine, I guess, given that their immense strength would have mopped the floor with me.

The tutorial didn't mention anything about editing compositions. :dunno: What's the point? What prevents you from just maxing out the battalions?

Well, you want to fill out the battalions as much as possible because it increases the strength of your divisions. The drawback is that it requires reinforcements and equipment just like creating new divisions. You also want to add support companies as those give you strong bonuses.

I just won my first Stellaris game. :D On Ironman mode as well. I don't know what the point of Fallen Empires are. Even at my height I could probably take on one of their fleets, and they did nothing all game except give me free energy one time. Which is fine, I guess, given that their immense strength would have mopped the floor with me.

Fallen Empires can Awaken, making them downright scary because they get extra fleets plus the ability to build ships and whatnot again. They will also try to make vassals of nearby empires. IIRC they get a Corruption stat that increases over time so that as you get stronger you can eventually fight them on equal terms.

I think only with Synthetic Dawn DLC, you can get a special type of machine Fallen Empire that will awaken as a defender against the Contingency crisis. Fallen Empires can also awaken as a galactic defender if the crisis takes over a certain percentage of the galaxy (again as I recall). If you have two or more FEs you can get the "War in Heaven" event where two of them fight each other and the rest of the galaxy will be prompted to take sides or stay neutral.

In my games the Fallen Empires don't awake enough, without awaking they end up being easy meat for me or the AIs. They are also generally too weak compared to normal empires because I set the midgame to start at 2300 and the lategame to start at 2500.

Fallen Empires can Awaken, making them downright scary because they get extra fleets plus the ability to build ships and whatnot again. They will also try to make vassals of nearby empires. IIRC they get a Corruption stat that increases over time so that as you get stronger you can eventually fight them on equal terms.

I think only with Synthetic Dawn DLC, you can get a special type of machine Fallen Empire that will awaken as a defender against the Contingency crisis. Fallen Empires can also awaken as a galactic defender if the crisis takes over a certain percentage of the galaxy (again as I recall). If you have two or more FEs you can get the "War in Heaven" event where two of them fight each other and the rest of the galaxy will be prompted to take sides or stay neutral.

In my games the Fallen Empires don't awake enough, without awaking they end up being easy meat for me or the AIs. They are also generally too weak compared to normal empires because I set the midgame to start at 2300 and the lategame to start at 2500.

Hmm, I won before any sort of crisis. Is a 'crisis' like the Mongol Hordes/Aztecs in CK2? I somewhat question setting the Domination condition at 40%. It seems like it should be more like 60 to 75%.

I'm glad it didn't awaken then. It only had two systems and two fleets of 100k. I say "only", even though when I won I had 3 fleets of 50k to my name.

Well, you want to fill out the battalions as much as possible because it increases the strength of your divisions. The drawback is that it requires reinforcements and equipment just like creating new divisions. You also want to add support companies as those give you strong bonuses.

Son of a...

God, Paradox tutorials suck. This literally changes everything.

Hmm, I won before any sort of crisis. Is a 'crisis' like the Mongol Hordes/Aztecs in CK2? I somewhat question setting the Domination condition at 40%. It seems like it should be more like 60 to 75%.

I'm glad it didn't awaken then. It only had two systems and two fleets of 100k. I say "only", even though when I won I had 3 fleets of 50k to my name.

I've never played CK2 but I think the general idea is somewhat similar. Basically a crisis is a very powerful faction that spawns sometime after your "endgame date" which you set at the beginning of the game on the screen with all the sliders. There are three 'standard' ones: the Prethoryn Swarm, which are an extragalactic hive mind that invade the galaxy from one particular direction, the Unbidden, extradimensional dudes who spawn from a porthole that opens up at a random system (followed by the Aberrant and Vehement, which are identical to the Unbidden except color), or the Contingency, an ancient AI protocol which tells you that it was designed to prevent a "class-30 singularity". There is some debate as to what a class-30 singularity is. The most interesting two theories, imo, are that it refers to the player winning the game (thus leaving the in-game universe with no purpose), and the second is that it refers to The End Of the Cycle, which is a sort of unofficial crisis that can be caused by a psionic empire doing certain things with the Shroud (which, if you don't know, is a sort of psionic entity/dimension that you can get buffs and maluses from if you unlock the psionic ascension perks). There are a series of interactions you can have and I'm not sure how to trigger it exactly but you can get a buff called Covenant: End of the Cycle which gives 100% bonus to research speed, resource collection, fleet capacity. It lasts for 50 years, at which point

Stellaris wiki said:
The Reckoning will all but end the empire that benefited from the covenant and instantly destroy all its vassals. When the Reckoning occurs, all Shroud-Marked planets will be depopulated and turned into 'Shrouded Worlds', which become uninhabitable forever. All fleets and ships under the Shroud-Marked empire's command will be instantly destroyed, all leaders are killed, and all resources from that empire's store will be drained almost completely. Having lost everything, the Shroud-Marked empire will survive only in the form of a newly colonized planet of survivors, which will start with the default name of 'Exile'. The game will pick any planet with 40% habitability or more, even if it is located within another empire's borders. If that planet is somehow Shroud-Marked, or no planet is otherwise possible, the game is instantly lost.

Every regular empire will gain a -1000 Opinion modifier with the remnant of the Shroud-Marked empire for "bringing the end", with a decay rate of 5.

Every Shroud-Marked colony will spawn a shroud manifestation. Finally, an immensely powerful Shroud entity known as "The Reckoning" - representing the combined essence of all deceased psionic individuals in the former empire that summoned it - will appear over the empire's former homeworld, and proceed to seek out the remaining life in the galaxy.

Anyway the three "normal" Crises will try to take over the whole galaxy and can only be fought, no other interactions possible. I almost always get the Contingency due to my penchant for playing as a machine empire. With Crisis Strength set for 2x, the Continengency spawns roaming fleets at 160k power, with its "hub fleets" that sit over its 4 Machine Worlds at a little under 400k.

There are also two midgame "minor" crises that I don't think you have the DLC for: the Great Khan and the Machine Uprising. The Great Khan is the unification of one of the marauder empires (again, don't know if you have the DLC to make these appear in your game) at which point it starts expanding like crazy until the Great Khan dies at which point the empire either becomes "normal" or breaks up into a group of smaller, weaker successor states.
The Machine Uprising happens (or can happen, not sure of the exact mechanics) if you have any policy other than Full AI Rights, and spawns a machine rebellion which takes like half of your inhabited planets and gets some fleets and stuff automatically. The one time I played a Spiritual Empire (which forbids Full AI Rights policy) it happened to me but it was very easy to crush the uprising and deal with the aftereffects.

For the record, I have never actually won a game of Stellaris, but only because
1) I play on Huge galaxies only so it takes a really long time to win
2) I'm still trying to figure out the optimal combination of Crisis Strength setting, lategame start year, and so on to make the game maximally interesting for the longest amount of time possible.

Son of a...

Yeah, I didn't even really do the tutorial at all. I found the advice about divisions on a forum somewhere. It also said you want to have your troops exercise from the beginning so you can get Army Experience which is spent on reconfiguring your divisions.

Of course, even knowing this I was still having the same problem with not being able to defeat any Soviet divisions on offense so :dunno: I'm going to search around to see what I can do to avoid the "only 2 or 3 divisions of my 22-division army actually engage the enemy" problem. If it can be avoided, it's possible that I'm just concentrating too much although I used a 20-division mechanized army as my spearhead when I crushed France so...again, :dunno:

Last edited:
I've never played CK2 but I think the general idea is somewhat similar. Basically a crisis is a very powerful faction that spawns sometime after your "endgame date" which you set at the beginning of the game on the screen with all the sliders. There are three 'standard' ones: the Prethoryn Swarm, which are an extragalactic hive mind that invade the galaxy from one particular direction, the Unbidden, extradimensional dudes who spawn from a porthole that opens up at a random system (followed by the Aberrant and Vehement, which are identical to the Unbidden except color), or the Contingency, an ancient AI protocol which tells you that it was designed to prevent a "class-30 singularity". There is some debate as to what a class-30 singularity is. The most interesting two theories, imo, are that it refers to the player winning the game (thus leaving the in-game universe with no purpose), and the second is that it refers to The End Of the Cycle, which is a sort of unofficial crisis that can be caused by a psionic empire doing certain things with the Shroud (which, if you don't know, is a sort of psionic entity/dimension that you can get buffs and maluses from if you unlock the psionic ascension perks). There are a series of interactions you can have and I'm not sure how to trigger it exactly but you can get a buff called Covenant: End of the Cycle which gives 100% bonus to research speed, resource collection, fleet capacity. It lasts for 50 years, at which point

Anyway the three "normal" Crises will try to take over the whole galaxy and can only be fought, no other interactions possible. I almost always get the Contingency due to my penchant for playing as a machine empire.

There are also two midgame "minor" crises that I don't think you have the DLC for: the Great Khan and the Machine Uprising. The Great Khan is the unification of one of the marauder empires (again, don't know if you have the DLC to make these appear in your game) at which point it starts expanding like crazy until the Great Khan dies at which point the empire either becomes "normal" or breaks up into a group of smaller, weaker successor states.
The Machine Uprising happens (or can happen, not sure of the exact mechanics) if you have any policy other than Full AI Rights, and spawns a machine rebellion which takes like half of your inhabited planets and gets some fleets and stuff automatically. The one time I played a Spiritual Empire (which forbids Full AI Rights policy) it happened to me but it was very easy to crush the uprising and deal with the aftereffects.

Sounds basically the same as the Hordes in CK2 except far more interesting. It's been a couple years since I played CK2 so maybe they added post-crisis modifiers like in Stellaris, but back then defeating the Hordes was just sort of the thing you did to survive and that was that. I like that the crises in Stellaris come with aftereffects.

I don't have a grasp on the edicts/policies system so far. I left them completely untouched in my two games, unwilling to experiment and screw everything up. :lol:

For the record, I have never actually won a game of Stellaris, but only because
1) I play on Huge galaxies only so it takes a really long time to win
2) I'm still trying to figure out the optimal combination of Crisis Strength setting, lategame start year, and so on to make the game maximally interesting for the longest amount of time possible.

Dang. Performance got a little crappy after a while on a Small map. I felt a little burnt out on the constant surveying/outposting after a couple hundred systems. Huge must be unbearable.

Also look up unit width. You can only pack so many dudes into a battle at a time. If your divisions are too phat they just stack up on each other, eat, break things, and get shot while getting in each other's way. One of the best perks I remember from a leveled up Marshal is decreasing unit width, making you able to attack with more weapons in the same amount of space. "Offense or something." It's been a while. Also, air superiority is an enormous factor even if they're only fighters and never shoot or bomb anything on their own. Air superiority itself skews the balance of power between land units.

I don't have a grasp on the edicts/policies system so far. I left them completely untouched in my two games, unwilling to experiment and screw everything up. :lol:

Yeah, it's taken me a while to actually start using them - still haven't really used Planetary Edicts - but they are quite powerful and can really give you needed bonuses, particularly for early-game resource production.

Dang. Performance got a little crappy after a while on a Small map. I felt a little burnt out on the constant surveying/outposting after a couple hundred systems. Huge must be unbearable.

The largest map settings tend to be the only ones I can have fun on (that's true for almost any strategy game, not just Stellaris - I only play Huge maps in Civ, and I like playing the largest maps in most RtS games too). The galaxy already feels too small to me at 1000 stars. And my machine can handle it, though things do slow down at the endgame when the galaxy starts getting crowded (I populate my Huge galaxy with no fewer than 15 normal AI empires and 4 Fallen Empires, with Habitable Planets and Primitive Civilizations set to 2.5x frequency). Once you build the Sentry Array megastructure you have line-of-sight on the whole galaxy so that also slows things down.

I think only with Synthetic Dawn DLC, you can get a special type of machine Fallen Empire that will awaken as a defender against the Contingency crisis.
Yeah, well, unless they get corrupted by the Contingency and you get BOTH the Contingency Crisis AND a hostile and omnicidal Awakened Empire on your door :p

(FE can also awaken if you take planets from another FE, or if any regular empire starts to get too powerful)

Been playing some Endless Space 2 (which is also really good) and when you dunk the biggest AI there is definitely a release of tension, unlike in Stellaris where you still have the FEs, crises and invasions.

Been playing some Endless Space 2 (which is also really good) and when you dunk the biggest AI there is definitely a release of tension, unlike in Stellaris where you still have the FEs, crises and invasions.

That's interesting - my settings make the game scale the opposite way, so that even after I defeat the crisis and FEs I'm like "well there's still that federation covering a third of the galaxy...."

HOI 4 sucks... far too complicated, and the map is honestly too large. there's a million freaking territories in europe. That is mind-numbing tedium just to look at, never mind interact with. hoi2/darkest hour is the only HOI for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom