What Video Games Have You Been Playing, Part 10: Or; A Shameful Display!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took today off from work and I'm feeling really upset and lonely, would anyone like to play Civilization 5 or 6 multiplayer cooperatively with me?

I am increasingly stubbornly old-fashioned and have yet to move beyond Civ IV BtS, and am working, alas

I think I'm in a lull with video games. I got a little burned out on Path of Exile and The Long Dark and need to take a break from those. I might go off of Civ VI until the new DLC is released in a few weeks.

As for new games, or games that would be new to me... Jon Shafer's At the Gates has been on my watchlist for a while, but I don't like the reviews it's been getting. I'd like to find a new, open-world shooter or RPG, but I'm not sure what. I think Atomic Heart and Metro: Exodus are out soon, so maybe I should just wait. Maybe I could play Wolfenstein again in the meantime; I'm not sure what its "replayability quotient" is. The Outer Worlds and Subnautica: Below Zero are also supposed to be out... sometime.

...you mean Defensive Pacts and Threat?

Those are the front end names for it, yes.

Win a war, get 20+% threat, sit around while everyone joins a defensive pact against you for 10-20 years, rinse, repeat. Yawn.

Those are the front end names for it, yes.

Win a war, get 20+% threat, sit around while everyone joins a defensive pact against you for 10-20 years, rinse, repeat. Yawn.
Waging war is the most boring aspect of the game anyways.
I've felt keeping DP-s on keeps my campaigns challenging/interesting for longer... but yeah, they're not particularly elegant/realistic mechanic.

No, I'm not older than that. I just wasn't using such loose definitions. Suffice to say that when an old school pinball player at the local arcade sneered at the Pong machine and said "that'll never catch on" I was there to argue about it.

I was that pinball player. ;)

I was that pinball player. ;)

Well, technically so was I. Fireball, all the way.

But then there was this two player car race game...

And then there was Asteroids.

And that was about all she wrote for the old pinball arcade.

Nobody? *cries* I guess I'll just have to play by myself ...

@Phrossack
In the light of these recent developments, you have named this thread really aptly. Prophetic.
@MaryKB My defense is I was at work. And the last Civ I have is IV.

Nobody? *cries* I guess I'll just have to play by myself ...

My defense is similar to Yeekim's in that I run out at Civ IV. Being a west coast guy I also just got out of bed.

@Phrossack
In the light of these recent developments, you have named this thread really aptly. Prophetic.
@MaryKB My defense is I was at work. And the last Civ I have is IV.
I am always prepared to make a shameful display

@MaryKB if you play Path of Exile you'd have a partner. It's a arpg of some complexity but challenging and fun for those who like that type of game. It is also free.

I would offer but I already know that I'm a terrible person to play turn based strategy games with, as I take too long on my turns and also usually run out of interest before the campaign is over.

I would offer but I already know that I'm a terrible person to play turn based strategy games with, as I take too long on my turns and also usually run out of interest before the campaign is over.
I'm not sure if I've finished more than a single digit number of games in Civ or TW in all the years I've played.

@MaryKB if you play Path of Exile you'd have a partner. It's a arpg of some complexity but challenging and fun for those who like that type of game. It is also free.
I don't know Path of Exile, is it like Diablo? I have Diablo 3 and I know how to play, I also have Starcraft 2, but my games crash often.

Well I was playing Civilization by myself today, and I'm doing okay. Rome has conquered two nations so far, but at least I have my own religion and my economy's doing good.

8930_screenshots_20190125154107_1.jpg

I'm not sure if I've finished more than a single digit number of games in Civ or TW in all the years I've played.

I know I haven't.

Venice is a very fun civ. Last time I was playing as them, my trade routes was keeping basically the economies of every other nation afloat. Even as the Aztecs caused a cavalcade of diplomatic incidents which eventually ended in the entire world fighting each other, I was left out of the fray because no one wanted to argue with the bank of the world. I only got dowed once, by the aztecs, before all the diplomatic bonuses from trading really compounded.

I was doing so well, that although I was aiming for a diplomatic victory, I actually won a cultural victory first.

Still would have preferred a full Italian civ over Venice though

I don't know Path of Exile, is it like Diablo?

Path of Exile is the Diablo 2 fan's Diablo 3. It has the same gritty aesthetic and is the same kind of hardcore (but better balanced) in the sense that you can easily ruin your character if you don't know what you're doing with your skill points."Ruined" means you can stil beat it on normal difficulty.
It's Free to Play and supported by mostly cosmetic microtransactions.

Venice is a very fun civ. Last time I was playing as them, my trade routes was keeping basically the economies of every other nation afloat. Even as the Aztecs caused a cavalcade of diplomatic incidents which eventually ended in the entire world fighting each other, I was left out of the fray because no one wanted to argue with the bank of the world. I only got dowed once, by the aztecs, before all the diplomatic bonuses from trading really compounded.

Venice was one of my favorites. I hope they make similar single city civ in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom