What Video Games Have You Been Playing, Part 10: Or; A Shameful Display!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh, it's nice to see that other people like Total War games as well. I recently (re)started playing Rome 2 Total War. Turns out that the Seleucids have a pretty nice mix of units

That they do, plus plenty of weight to throw around demanding tributes and such. You can declare war on someone, wait a few turns as they realize half the entire world is at war with them (your vassals and clients) and then they'll offer you like 6,000 gold for peace.

That's why you never build a navy with only siege ships. Have your ballista ships do damage to the enemy transports, and as they move closer, move your infantry ships in front of your ballista ships to protect them. When the enemy gets close, order ballista ships to fire at their backline, and order your infantry ships to ram their transports. Then, as their transports engage your infantry ships, order your ballista ships to ram their ships which are now conveniently tied down

But they'll never get tied down because they have 20 transports, which will always outnumber you unless you have a stupidly large navy. The only solution is to build the pursuit triremes which are strong enough to one-hit-kill them if they ram them from the side or back. Ramming from the front twice will also work, but it opens you up to being boarded if you don't do it exactly right, or if there are too many transports next to you.

Wow, my income's never dropped like that...but then, I rely mostly on ashigaru rather than samurai. They're so upgradable, affordable, and available everywhere, so they're ideal for me.
I had a mix of both ashigaru and samurai. As for the income, I think it was mostly due to the trade dropping. I had cultivated an incredibly loyal vassal to trade with, but realm divide makes fools of us all. I had also invested in agriculture, but it didn't make up for the loss.
As the Mori, I also like to seize all of the southern trade nodes and fill them with ten trade ships each, which can fuel my economy pretty well. Trade with other clans is lucrative but it funds them too, and they'll almost always try to get you sooner or later since There Can Be Only One! Farming everywhere and intensively also helps.
I remember playing as one of the southern clans (Shimazu I believe) and the game was so easy it was stupid. Convert to Christianity, get easy access to firearms, dominate trade routes and land battles. Easy money, easy victories.
Can multiple ships board at once? I know Shogun 2 only allowed one ship to board at a time, which was weird.
I'm actually not sure

That they do, plus plenty of weight to throw around demanding tributes and such. You can declare war on someone, wait a few turns as they realize half the entire world is at war with them (your vassals and clients) and then they'll offer you like 6,000 gold for peace.
I suppose that would have been useful in the early game. Unfortunately I'm not one for diplomacy

But they'll never get tied down because they have 20 transports, which will always outnumber you unless you have a stupidly large navy. The only solution is to build the pursuit triremes which are strong enough to one-hit-kill them if they ram them from the side or back. Ramming from the front twice will also work, but it opens you up to being boarded if you don't do it exactly right, or if there are too many transports next to you.
I always have a stupidly large navy. All of my fleets and army stacks have 20 units each, all units being the best I can recruit. I mostly use my navy to help in sieges. Because of this, I usually run a mix of 10 siege ships and 10 assault ships. As for the actual naval battles themselves, I find that the siege ships can usually take out 3-5 enemy ships before enemy contact, and then ramming can take out some 5 ships before the boarding starts (real ships have a big ramming advantage over transport ships, especially if you got the techs). Then again, I think I've only fought something like 15 transport ships at a time, so your mileage may vary.

Fixed for you.
*weird

Fixed for you. :p

And how else am I going to get my fix of pre-modern naval combat, port construction, and naval trade management? It'll have to do for now.

Yeah it's not really R2 if you're not running DeI, that overhauls the game to be as it was meant to be.

You can't afford a full stack of elites in one army, let alone every army. There's population mechanics and upkeep is meaningful. I was raking in 10k per turn a couple hours ago as Seleucia, then half my satraps finally rebelled and my income dropped to 2500.

:eek:

There....actually weren't...any video games then...
aimee got ya, if we're going to be technical, but at least I'll allow that you're not too old to play videogames. this is totally not my setting a precedent for some time in the future when a wife of mine might say that
I don't play many RTS games, find too much is going on for me to properly enjoy them.
Turn based games allows me time to think about my actions.
Besides my sustained recommendation of playing the Battle for Wesnoth (get 1.12 while you're at it as a separate install), I'll also recommend Widelands. Try it. It's an intentionally slow-paced real-time strategy game.

I don't know where you find all these awesome little games, Takh, but I love it.

Tried the recent Sonny game. Despite the outcry over it being designed as an app, it's still well thought out and shockingly addictive (I played an entire day away on my phone). The lack of animation doesn't really take away from the experience, and the mutation mechanic (where you gain temporary powers each battle, which are attached to your regular abilities) works wonderfully. It adds a whole new layer to the game, so that you're constantly out trying combinations to counter what each opponent is doing.

On the negative side, the game is poorly balanced and lacks difficulty options. I always enjoy soloing Sonny games, and this was no different - until I got to Baron Brixius, who is about five steps above all the previous bosses. I was forced to use my party members to defeat him because no amount of leveling up was going to do it. I finally ragequit in the fight against Vendara, who damages your entire party and can easily stun-lock you for three turns. I'm told the boss after Vendara is even worse.

Also, most of your stats are going to come from equipment you buy in the store (unlike the previous Sonny games, it's very rare to get loot that isn't already for sale and that loot will not even be higher quality, so it's just for selling). You're forced into linear upgrade paths, since each zone's equipment VASTLY outclasses the previous zone's. Get to the forest zone? Sell your fire resistant gear, buy the higher-stat frost resistant gear, rinse and repeat when you get to the labs. This doesn't really hurt the gameplay, it simply removes an aspect of it that was present in the other games.

Still, my strong recommendation is play it. I had stupid amounts of fun on the early and mid levels, and you can always look up the perfect builds to take down the horrendously balanced late-game bosses. The strains (ability trees) you choose are permanent choices, so I would have had to play from the beginning if I wanted to actually implement those builds - I don't think any of them use nature/shadow.

You should also play the first two Sonny games, which are online and every bit as good. I think the three games are probably the greatest turn-based RPGs ever made, because they actually place strategy over grinding.

Also, for you Elder Scrolls nuts, Iliac Bay is looking better than Bruma:

I don't know where you find all these awesome little games, Takh, but I love it.
Disregard Synsensa's attempts at sarcasm and also install
Hex-a-Hop (weird puzzle game, difficulty that puts 1992 Nintendo games to shame)
Super Tux Kart (obviously, a kart game)
Zero A.D. (ongoing project, unfinished but already playable, great promise, RTS)
Frogatto (old-school-style scroller, endlessly replayable, might be the best of these).

Also, for you Elder Scrolls nuts, Iliac Bay is looking better than Bruma:

BethSoft always looks great at this stage, before they install all the bugs and crappy game mechanics.

Last edited:
I picked up Star Fox 64 3D for the DS and I regret it. The updated graphics are appreciated but are not a step-change from the original. A while back I bought a nice grip to make the DS more comfortable to play and thought this would help with a button-masher like this but nope.jpg. I got cramps after 15 minutes of play time. Out of the 3 maps I've played so far, Aquas (the submarine level) experienced a tremendous amount of chug - even more than on the original game, weirdly enough.

But my biggest gripe by far is how much it physically hurts to play this game.

While playing Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Julian asked me to deliver a package to Lucy for him. I turned around, walked three steps, and gave the package to Lucy.

Easiest delivery ever.

I guess I should try some mods for Total War. I haven't played any mods since Third Age Total War for M2TW
Yeah it's not really R2 if you're not running DeI, that overhauls the game to be as it was meant to be.

You can't afford a full stack of elites in one army, let alone every army. There's population mechanics and upkeep is meaningful. I was raking in 10k per turn a couple hours ago as Seleucia, then half my satraps finally rebelled and my income dropped to 2500.
You're telling me that in this mod, player can't afford even a single elite stack even in late game?

"Whoa! Juneflower suddenly hugged you!"

Uhhhhh

Its thin body is made of gas. Despite lacking substance, it can envelop an opponent of any size and cause suffocation.

oh dear....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom