What Video Games Have You Been Playing VII: The Real Ending is Locked Behind a Paywall

Status
Not open for further replies.
EU3 was when Paradox had a better handling of its games. It's still the superior game today (and at least it's FINISHED), but I really would like to have the eye candy of the later, playing on the 2D close-up map hurts the eyes (at least the far-away map is rather timeless in design, so it's still okay).

I downloaded and played World of Tanks over the weekend, after taking an almost 2-year break. The new graphics and overhauled maps are really nice. The audio seemed improved, too. But boy, was I bad. "Rusty" doesn't even cover it.

I did the new player tutorial, which they hadn't implemented yet when I started, and it's not bad. It gives you the basic controls and introduces some basic battlefield concepts like flanking the enemy, aiming for weak points, and using bushes for concealment. Of course you mop up the enemy team of computer-controlled tanks in the tutorial and then get crushed like an empty beer can against real players in a real game, but that's PvP for you. For completing the tutorial, you get a couple of newbie tanks in the American, German or Soviet tech trees with trained crews, 500 in-game "gold" currency, and 4 days of Premium game time, all for free, so that's alright.

I drove my British Cromwell medium tank first, which was one of my favorite vehicles back when I was playing regularly, and I was hopelessly lost. Its combination of quick-firing gun, thin armor and excellent mobility is ultimately how I take this game by the horns, but it's also "hard mode." I really need to know the maps, know the enemy vehicles, and be on my game. I could have been worse, but I was pretty useless.

So then I switched to my German Dicker Max tank destroyer (aka "10.5cm K gepanzerte Selbstfahrlafette", but don't ask me to pronounce that) and had much better success.

I ended up 3-3 on the day, which wasn't bad considering how much I was flailing about.

From an article on the Dicker Max I found online:

Development of the GpSfl IVa proceeded though with delay. By the time an evaluation pilot vehicle was being actively manufactured, the north of France (including the capital city of Paris) had fallen to the Germans. As such, the requirement for a bunker-busting vehicle dwindled to naught. By January of 1941, the Krupp concern had completed two pilot vehicles for testing though its future would seem in doubt at this point. Its fortunes changed when, in June of 1941, the Germans invaded the Soviet Union through "Operation Barbarossa" and, while initial progress was excellent, a formulated Soviet response eventually introduced the famous T-34 medium tanks and, perhaps more importantly, the IS (Josef Stalin) heavy tank series in the IS-2.

The IS-2 was a monster of Soviet engineering combining thick armor protection reaching 120mm (4.7 inches) and a powerful 122mm main gun in a traversing turret. The vehicle had the capability to engage all manner of German types at range and posed an ever-growing threat as production and availability of the series increased. 3,854 of the type were eventually produced and these were followed by the improved IS-3 models which entered development in late 1944 though failing to see action in World War 2 altogether.

With this new threat, GpSfl IVa development continued though now under the direction that it be tested and completed as a self-propelled tank destroyer.
Purely coincidentally, a pair of IS-2s were among the enemy vehicles I damaged in one battle, although they were the Chinese variant rather than the Soviet original (the game isn't historical about matching vehicles against each other - it's pure, ahistorical anarchy most of the time). One of them ended up blowing my TD to Kingdom Come, but I gave better than I got.

Last edited by a moderator:
I finished Far Cry 5.

Spoiler :
At the end of the game you take down the cult leader and you have a choice to walk away or take him into custody. I chose the latter and after a brief and stupid battle, we arrested him. Then nukes went off. You escape to a bunker in a car but wind up crashing. Somehow the cult leader, who was left on an island 3 or 4 miles away, teleports to the crash scene and drags you into the bunker where he basically holds you hostage forever. The End.

The one kind of cool thing about the ending is that if you are listening to the non-cult radio station there are occasionally news bulletins of crap going down all over the world; foreshadowing that WWIII is about to break out. The bulletins actually didn't really grab my attention that much because they were low-key and well written and come off as very believable. None of them are ham-fisted THE CHINESE ARE STORMING THE FRONT or anything. More like bombings in the Middle East, North Korean missile tests, etc. However it was low-key enough that many people (including myself until I looked it up) thought that the cult leader had set off a nuke, triggering an accidental war. The game developers put out a statement explaining it all.

The 'walk away' option (looked it up online) is just that. You and the sheriff leave and as your driving off the screen flashes like you've been taken over by the cult drugs and then it ends.

Like Far Cry 4, there is also a secret ending right at the beginning of the game where if you choose to deescalate the initial encounter, you drive off with the Sheriff to get the National Guard. This is of course the only rational, realistic ending in the game.

In short, the ending was a pretty big let down compared to the well-written, well-delivered ending dialogue between you and Pagan Min. This games endings have a bit of shock value but they feel pretty hollow compared to what was in the last game. That ending actually felt like it mattered, like it was a natural development of the characters.

This is of course the only rational, realistic ending in the game.
Well, yes, but if characters were rational then we wouldn't have most of (just to name one example among many) the Warcraft saga.

Finally got around to playing Domina after gleefully listening to its soundtrack for over a year.

Meh. Good game, good premise. Some of the mechanics leave you wanting. Game is very short. I completed it twice and failed twice in a little over 3 hours.

Not a fan of the leveling system, at least when contrasted with the scaling system of the arena. Having one maxed out gladiator is essentially a wallowing-in-obscurity sentence for your other gladiators as the arena matches will almost entirely be lvl.200 opponents. What's more confusing is that the AI's lvl.200 gladiators are stronger than your lvl.200 gladiators, and the game tricks you into lucrative battles which often end up with all of your gladiators dead. Rebuilding your ludus is impossible so losing your best stock is a clear indicator to restart.

Went back to Far Cry Primal over the weekend. I really like the open-world aspect of the game. I managed to capture an Izila outpost by luring the guards into a trio of Woolly Rhinos. I even got the stealth bonus.

otoh, the animals are removed a little too quickly at times. Twice I was pursuing an animal and it must have reached whatever limit the game puts on it (time, distance, I'm not sure) and it vanished, even though I'd tagged it and hit it with my weapons.

I've decided it's time top re-install Oblivion. Does anyone remember if it needs a cd-key? 'cause if it does, it could be a problem since i haven't seen the manual for this game since sometime around 2011.....

AAAAAAA

Guyz guyz I've been browsing in an old cardboard box where I keep CDs and other old stuff from when I moved house and I found installation CDs for Warcraft 3, Starcraft, and their expansions. They appear to be undamaged. And I have a major midterm in two weeks, one hour and 20 18 15 minutes. Hjälp! Somebody teach me a breathing technique or yoga or something. Temporarily I've shoved said quartet of CDs down into the bottom of the box and the box into the closet but I must resist. I cannot do this, not right now.
Four days to go and I remain on the waggon.
The only game I run on Steam right now is Dota2. I also got Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok off them but it was free. On itch.io I got the steamless version and there was the option to pay the studio money via PayPal. Urgh.
Yes indeed, Heroine's Quest runs just the same without Steam but I don't have to log in and I'm actually allowed to pay. Also, Valve are a bit BEEEP about games distributed freely. They insist that they must be free and they don't allow you to use the paid enhancements (I don't have any because I don't even have the time to do it, but when I read the announcement I said what a buncha BEEEPs.

Moderator Action: Warned for inappropriate language --LM
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

I've decided it's time top re-install Oblivion. Does anyone remember if it needs a cd-key? 'cause if it does, it could be a problem since i haven't seen the manual for this game since sometime around 2011.....

Get it on Steam. :smug:

So Valve doesn't like Freemium games? Interesting.....

So Valve doesn't like Freemium games? Interesting.....
Hmmmm, you can just go to itch.io and get the steamless version and actually pay the developers if you like the game. When Battle for Wesnoth makes it onto Steam (hopefully with the upcoming 1.14 release) I'll still recommend that people ge it directly off their own site. :)

Get it on Steam. :smug:
I discovered a long time ago that steam running at the same time as oblivion results in 20 min game sessions between crashes. Besoides, i'm not paying money for a steam version of a game i have 2 copies of(but no manuals, and only a single one disc one, but 2 copies of discs two and 3 and 2 plastic boxes)

We definitely need, not only a facepalm smiley, but a dork-slap one as well.

Yeap, we need one of those as well.

Grrr. I found Flatout 1 Disc one of two and Flatout 2 Discs one, three and five...i also found my old age of empires 2 and midtown madness 2 cd's, both of which look like they've been hit by a belt sander. The only one i found complete and in decent shape was driver 3.....i can't remember how bad that game was but i seem to remember there being issues with it...

Have any of you played NieR:Automata?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom