What we can learn from New Vegas and Civ V?

Is Nintendo god?

• Yes, he is a merciful one too, repent sinners!

Votes: 23 19.8%
  • Kinda, they do make good/ the best games

Votes: 17 14.7%
  • They are just as good as some other componies

Votes: 32 27.6%
  • No, I'm a casual so I only play non-Nintendo games

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • No, I think playing bland, colourless shooters is fun

Votes: 36 31.0%

• Total voters
Actually i think i probably agree with you reginleif, i do love both Mario galaxy 1 and 2, i think i just miss some of the larger levels from 64.

As much as I love the Fallout series (including 3, which for some reason fans of the original seem to hate), you have to admit that bugs have been part of their landscape. Try playing Fallout 2 without the unofficial patch. :lol: Of course, I'm still unconvinced if New Vegas is even half as buggy as people say. At least those problems fall on the category of technical bugs instead of the criticisms against ciV, which are generally much more fundamental.

As much as I love the Fallout series (including 3, which for some reason fans of the original seem to hate), you have to admit that bugs have been part of their landscape. Try playing Fallout 2 without the unofficial patch. :lol: Of course, I'm still unconvinced if New Vegas is even half as buggy as people say. At least those problems fall on the category of technical bugs instead of the criticisms against ciV, which are generally much more fundamental.

That's the funny thing. I keep hearing "They couldn't test it on every hardware configuration!" I'm thinking... ooookay... does that mean if I get a new CPU the tile yields will become interesting and the buildings won't simply be "culture line" and "money line" any more?

That's the funny thing. I keep hearing "They couldn't test it on every hardware configuration!" I'm thinking... ooookay... does that mean if I get a new CPU the tile yields will become interesting and the buildings won't simply be "culture line" and "money line" any more?

No, if you get a new CPU it would simply be blue science, pink science and uh.. gold science. :D

Well for what it's worth at least I'm not experiencing any technical-related bugs, aside from the occasional (minor) graphical issues and maybe some buggy deals.

It's too early to tell yet, but I think we may learn from looking at Civ5 and Fallout: New Vegas that gamers are more forgiving toward buggy products if they regard the core of the game as sound.

Unlike computer game makers, Nintendo doesn't lose out on the money from pirated software with their console focus. That extra cash could have helped the company put out more polished games in the future.

Valve? VALVE?

Really?... VALVE?

Is this a joke topic?

Anyway, Nintendo have been fail for a long time with very little new coming out of them in decades.

You know, maybe this is all a part of some deeper strategy.

Maybe companies release Steam games unfinished and incomplete on purpose, so pirates are shafted, and can't get the Steam patches.

Anyway, Nintendo have been fail for a long time with very little new coming out of them in decades.

Not true, and frankly given that statement I sincerely doubt you know what you're talking about.

Now, the in decades bit might be the most wrong thing I've ever seen on this forum. The 90s say hi. I don't think anyone's going to argue that Nintendo didn't come out with 'anything new' in the 90s.

You know, maybe this is all a part of some deeper strategy.

Maybe companies release Steam games unfinished and incomplete on purpose, so pirates are shafted, and can't get the Steam patches.

It would be a pretty stupid strategy though. I strongly doubt that any pirate has difficulties to assemble a patch from files that are publicly distributed to hundreds of thousands of PCs. You can probably do it yourself. Make a backup copy of your folder prior to the update, then perform the update, then do a diff on the files and determne those that have changed. Then collect those and zip them - voila, hand-made patch. I sometimes do this when I'm not sure if program allows me to reverse a patch, or when a patch program will run on machine A, but not on machine B. As long as you don't redistribute the files, it's perfectly legal too.

God I love the Fallout 3 universe. The idea of having an entirely new landscape to explore in NV is beyond awesome. I'll forgive them some bugs.

thanks for New Vegas tip... my money is not going there this time around ;)

What tip? I don't see anyone that has posted in this thread that has actually PLAYED FNV and experienced game breaking bugs.

I own it, have been playing, and have seen NO ISSUES thus far on the PC version.

God I love the Fallout 3 universe. The idea of having an entirely new landscape to explore in NV is beyond awesome. I'll forgive them some bugs.

Agreed. It's always nice to visit the Fallout universe regardless of whether they are top-down or in full 3D.

What tip? I don't see anyone that has posted in this thread that has actually PLAYED FNV and experienced game breaking bugs.

I own it, have been playing, and have seen NO ISSUES thus far on the PC version.

The PC versian is actually less buggy than the console version, IGN gave NV on the console a 8.5 while on the PC a 9 just because one is less buggy than the other. Although because their bought of by Sony and Microsoft they get +3.0 points added to their score while Nintendo games get a -5.0.

Just a hint to the OP, if you actually want to appear to have a shred of credibility in your post, I would strongly strongly suggest you remove Valve from there... listing them as a "poor developer" puts your credibility (on a scale from 1 to 10) at approximately -12.

New Vegas is a bad example... Bethesda's been releasing poor quality (while good gameplay) games before New Vegas. Fallout 3 and Oblivion were both messy, and I dont know about Morrowind. Though I do not have a problem with this, because Bethesda games are so moddable that faster release at the expense of quality allows for good mods to come out quicker.

New Vegas is a bad example... Bethesda's been releasing poor quality (while good gameplay) games before New Vegas. Fallout 3 and Oblivion were both messy, and I dont know about Morrowind. Though I do not have a problem with this, because Bethesda games are so moddable that faster release at the expense of quality allows for good mods to come out quicker.

New Vegas was developed by Obsidian, not Bethesda. Morrowind's release was, as far as I remember, okay, but I got it several months later, so I may have missed any initial problems. As far as Bethesda is concerned, nothing beats the problems of Daggerfall though. The program is so finicky that I'm using it as a test for DOS emulators; if the emulator can run it, then it must be pretty faithful. Daggerfall only runs on a very narrow range of systems and setups, and on some machines, it even mocks the player - seems to work well at first, but then the keyboard stops responding, or the player starts to walk through walls, or everything works except climbing ... great fun. ;)

Top Bottom