When is first patch for Civ VI coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would expect a patch couple weeks before before Christmas. Makes commercial sense. After all, they want to sell games and they know that they will sell more if it's been patched as otherwise people will be put off buying it due to all the negativity around the AI. Plus I would expect some kind of small discount in the inevitable Steam Christmas day/boxing day sale, and also DLC coming after the Aztecs unlock after the 90 days.

I would expect a patch couple weeks before before Christmas. Makes commercial sense. After all, they want to sell games and they know that they will sell more if it's been patched as otherwise people will be put off buying it due to all the negativity around the AI. Plus I would expect some kind of small discount in the inevitable Steam Christmas day/boxing day sale, and also DLC coming after the Aztecs unlock after the 90 days.

While I do think it'll come sometime and the next month or two, I kind of doubt people won't buy it was a Christmas present because of "negativity around the AI." Most of the people who that's important to have already bought it.

I don't think this is really fair to say. Actually, I feel it's a "tactic" to pander to people too routinely in social media so as to placate them. I know that people will argue with this statement, because they don't understand it.

I'm sure Firaxis people are reading. I'm sure there are things they'd like to correct soon and it will be done in the timeline they can supply the fixes.

If you make a product it is number 1 or 2 on the list of important things to make sure you support your product. That means being in contact with your customers.

If you make a product it is number 1 or 2 on the list of important things to make sure you support your product. That means being in contact with your customers.

True, but you want to make sure you're saying correct (and true) things before you rush out a statement. Was it last time that they said they'd have a patch out on the 24th (or whatever) and it *gasp* didn't come out until like three days later? From the reaction on here you'd have thought that Firaxis drowned puppies that day. People were absolutely ridiculous and shameful in their reactions, and proved to all just how much they needed to grow up. I don't blame them for not saying anything quite yet.

While I do think it'll come sometime and the next month or two, I kind of doubt people won't buy it was a Christmas present because of "negativity around the AI." Most of the people who that's important to have already bought it.

Oh, probably, but there is some historic presedence for a patch before christmas. IIRC Civ5 received a patch a month after launch and a big balance pass just before christmas. Civ:BE was launched around the same date as cVI and got a patch just before christmas as well.

The only time you see negativity about AI is here because the majority of players don't care. I personally expect hotfixes every few days. Firaxis doesnt put too much emphasis on fixing issues. I'm just glad the game is stable and people can play it but this isnt 1995 and steam allows a drastically more efficient patch delivery system.

When Civ4 came out AMD video card owners were left waiting 2 months to play the game because of a issue that only affected the AMD cards.... That simple fix that should have been patch before release left a sour taste in my mouth.

Oh, probably, but there is some historic presedence for a patch before christmas. IIRC Civ5 received a patch a month after launch and a big balance pass just before christmas. Civ:BE was launched around the same date as cVI and got a patch just before christmas as well.
I agree don't get me wrong. I just think it's due to the amount of time that passed since launch rather than relation to Christmas.

The developers ... don't even listen to us.
That's not true, certainly not in the past 10 years anyway. They wisely don't post much / at all, after the very immature reaming they got here during Civ4 dev work, which Sammy mentioned above.

they know that they will sell more if it's been patched as otherwise people will be put off buying it due to all the negativity around the AI
I doubt 99% of Civ6's market gives a rat's about the AI. Crashes and freezes yes, but otherwise there won't be much blowback.

I guess the main attraction of a patch before XMas is mostly to get Civ's name back in the headlines again for bit, to complement the paid advertising.

The only time you see negativity about AI is here because the majority of players don't care. I personally expect hotfixes every few days. Firaxis doesnt put too much emphasis on fixing issues. I'm just glad the game is stable and people can play it but this isnt 1995 and steam allows a drastically more efficient patch delivery system.

When Civ4 came out AMD video card owners were left waiting 2 months to play the game because of a issue that only affected the AMD cards.... That simple fix that should have been patch before release left a sour taste in my mouth.

I doubt 99% of Civ6's market gives a rat's about the AI. Crashes and freezes yes, but otherwise there won't be much blowback.

I guess the main attraction of a patch before XMas is mostly to get Civ's name back in the headlines again for bit, to complement the paid advertising.

Games companies don't care about negative reviews and feedback on steam and forums potentially having an impact on their sales? Ok, if you say so....

edit: and constant 'fix this, fix that' on facebook comments.

Last edited:
It definitely seems like the release date and patches for civ products are 'too scheduled'. Civ6 announced their release date several months ago and didn't move it back at all. When a game crashes in multiple not so uncommon places it is simply not ready. Said crashes need to be fixed urgently, not by some day that you have already had marked on your calendar.

Games companies don't care about negative reviews and feedback on steam and forums potentially having an impact on their sales? Ok, if you say so....

edit: and constant 'fix this, fix that' on facebook comments.

Totally agree on steam is getting a fair amount of negative reviews with most quoting "not recommend it at this time."

I hope very soon. This game is loaded with bugs that make gameplay impossible and not fun. I don't know these devs could get through testing with these glaring things missing or broke. (AI...no HOF..research all policies then just repeat...disappearing units....no information on what's going on in the world

Almost every time I play a Deity game, a completely unprotected AI Settler blithely wanders right next to one of my military units in the first few turns. Makes me sick...

As is, I have to put a ton of limitations on myself for the game to be satisfying on a high level--no conquering AI cities, no taking AI civilian units, no chopping or harvesting outside my borders, no deleting units, no massing Archers, no negotiating with the AI in trades. And yet, even with all of that, the game is STILL too easy. I miss Civ IV when I could employ every dirty trick in the book and still lose the majority of the time on Deity. If you have to deliberately cripple your gameplay when playing a strategy game, that's no fun. I want the game to push my strategy abilities to their limits.

On the plus side, mods are helping a little bit. They've been successful in getting rid of the AI warrior carpets. So even if the patches don't come soon, there's still hope.

A bit of history. civ 5 came out on sep 21 and the first patch 1.0.0.17 was sep 24. Second 1.0.0.20 was on sep 28.
Shouldnt have to wait too much longer I would think.

• 95 - 99% : Overhwelmingly Positive Civilization 5
  • 94 - 80% : Very Positive
  • 80 - 99% + few reviews: Positive
  • 70 - 79% : Mostly Positive Civilization 6 - it went from 77% to 75% the last few days.
  • 40 - 69% : Mixed
  • 20? - 39% : Mostly Negative
  • 0 - 39% + rew reviews: Negative
  • 0 - 19% : Very Negative
  • 0 - 19% + many reviews: Overwhelmingly Negative
Amazing that its been almost 3 weeks and Firaxis / 2K hasn't even reacted to the poor launch. Someone needs a crash course in damage control...
It is sad that Firaxis embraces the fact that they rush their games and kinda plans around it. A reputation sticks - Blizzard makes simple (for the most part), but well polished games that are ready and 100% functional at launch. Paradox is great at community communication. Firaxis has two 90's classic game titles - civ gets renewed every 5 years and each iteration seems to be more and more buggy at launch... and finally playable when there's a new civ game around the corner... oh and Firaxis only talks to fans when they wanna sell something.
Well, the brown stuff has hit the fan for me this time... my negative review on Steam stays negative no matter what. Hope they change things for civ7...

A bit of history. civ 5 came out on sep 21 and the first patch 1.0.0.17 was sep 24. Second 1.0.0.20 was on sep 28.
Shouldnt have to wait too much longer I would think.

Those two were basically day zero patches; no real change to gameplay, just fixing some bug that occurred that had already been found and fixed during Beta Testing that didn't quite make the deadline to be in the release build.

So will the mod tools be in the first DLC or patch? No sooner than that?

Still no news from Firaxis about the patch? Are those guys communicating? They have a website, forums, twitter, fb but they don't even talk. Looks like they're still not in the information era.

Reactions: Xur
Still no news from Firaxis about the patch? Are those guys communicating? They have a website, forums, twitter, fb but they don't even talk. Looks like they're still not in the information era.

If they put out patches within a couple of months, that would be roughly consistent
with previous releases.

Overblown demands for drastic action and immediate communication are amusing, though;
like the old days when people would demand to speak to the manager of the internet.

With a million sales and about 75% approval for a game that will develop
over the next 2-3 years, they should be in no particular hurry. Many staff probably
went on annual leave after the release and would only just be returning to the
code mines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom